Olive farming :co-operatives, equipment and subvenciones

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Olive farming :co-operatives, equipment and subvenciones

Postby olive » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:16 pm

Have been living here over 12 months now. Have had great advice and help from the owners including loads of assistance last olive harvest. We have got to grips with pruning and other aspects of care. However I haven't cracked the co-operative yet.
I am advised that to get the EU subvention (grant) on our registered trees that you have to sell thru a co op. Is this true? Most of the coops around here are full i.e. not taking any new members but some of the newer ones e.g. the one at Loja is. They have a refundable (when you leave) joining fee of 300euros and the place looks very efficient.
We will need a couple of nets and poles - do the co ops loan these? How much are nets to buy? Does anyone actually know how much an "average" kilo of olives fetches including the grant? My educated guess is 38 cents plus 12 cents grant later. The price obviously varies from year to year depending on oil content and harvest issues like drought. (This is a question we asked every single estate agent and not one of them vaguely knew the answer yet they were all selling property with olive trees)

Any other tips apart from get someone else to pick them!

Olive