Starting Out

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Annabell
Andalucia.com Amigo

Starting Out

Postby Annabell » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:34 am

Hi All,
Have been browsing this forum for a while and thought it was time to post.
We are to be starting our search in December, coming over for a week to look around and are heading for the Costa de la Luz.
Does anybody know of any decent hotels, or self catering accommodation? Also, any car hire companies that will let us hire a car without a credit card (although we do have a euro cheque book).
Would also like to open a bank account while we are there, who is the best bank that you know of and how easy is it?
Any advice greatly appreciated.
We've gone through it all before in France so are thinking its probably relatively the same sort of system in Spain.
Regards
Annabell

Sue C
Tourist

Postby Sue C » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:29 pm

Annabell, you dont say where on the Costa de la Luz you want to be based.

amheuwr
Andalucia.com Amigo

Costa de la luz

Postby amheuwr » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:01 pm

Annabell
We have also explored the Costa de la Luz (CDL) this year. We spent part of the summer in the Huelva province and have just returned from the Cadiz province. Just to give you an idea of how big the CDL is we have clocked over 4500miles doing general tours and we only covered a small fraction of the area. We preferred the Cadiz province, but also enjoyed Huelva especially up into the Aracena area, and Ayamonte and el Rompido.
The problem you will encounter on this forum as with any open discussions, everyone has their own opinions, and there is a lot of truth in the saying that beauty lies in the eye of the beholder.
We stayed a week in Vejer in a self catering apartment. The views were spectacular but the apartment itself needed updating. If you are going in December out of holiday season, then you shouldn't have too much difficulty finding somewhere, and it might be best for you to decide on an area as your base, find a list of places off the net and go round and look at them on your arrival to see if they are OK.
Going back to the beauty in the eye and all that, I found Chiclana too busy and touristy. OK to visit and for shopping.
Medina Sidonia was very nice, as was Arcos. I also liked Benalup and Alcala de los Gazules.
At the end of the day it all depends on what exactly you want; do you have a family, partner? Are you retired? Do you like being by the sea or inland.
There is a lot of information on this web site in relation to bank accounts and general admin on arrival in Spain and you should be able to get by quite nicely by following their advice.
Once you have settled on an area, town etc then you may get some useful replies about that particular area if you are more specific in your questioning.
One thing I really liked about the CDL was we did not see one British pub or shop, although I believe there are a few in Chiclana. Another reason to stay clear. IMHO :wink:

BAS
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby BAS » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:03 am

Annabell,
A tip that will save you thousands, drive around the areas you would like to live in, look for properties for sale with private numbers and contact the owners to make your offer, your solicitor and the owners solicitor will do the rest, if the property is posted with an agent you should get he price down by about 7 to 10% by dealing direct.
Best of luck
Bas.

Annabell
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Annabell » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:29 pm

Thanks all for replying to my post. We're gonna start at Chiclana and work our way down towards the coast to see what the areas and properties are like there. There is just the two of us, plus 3 dogs and 2 cats.
Re the bank account. I can't seem to find any information. Can I open an account without being in Spain? We are completing on our house sale in 2 weeks and was hoping to open the account with the sale proceeds or is it better to hold on to it until we're ready to buy?
Any advice greatly appreciated
Annabell

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:49 pm

Annabell.

We opened an account with Solbank over the phone while still in the UK. We were able to put funds into the account but could'nt withdraw anything until we had signed all the paperwork etc. Apart from a made dash from the airport to the bank before it closed it all worked very well.

Mhic

amheuwr
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby amheuwr » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:58 pm

Annabell wrote: Re the bank account. I can't seem to find any information.
Annabell
Annabell
There is some further information on the site here.

I hope you have some luck looking for somewhere. We hope to go back in February to look for somewhere to rent long term. [/url]

Annabell
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Annabell » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:58 pm

Thanks for that, I'll do a google and see what I can find.
Annabell