nie and registration

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
ht006d5256
Andalucia.com Amigo

nie and registration

Postby ht006d5256 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:54 pm

As my time for the move toAndalucia approaches (June) I seek even more advice, A relation (English) lives in Lanzarote and as I will be spending Xmas/New year out there he has made a suggestion that I should register for my nie number ect and open a bank account using his address, the person who did it all for him said they could do it for me (for a charge) stating that when I move to Andalucia would save time ect can I please have your thoughts on this would there be any benefit taking this route, more questions to come later thankyou
Howard

ian.wilson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ian.wilson » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:57 pm

What`s the price? If you do it yourself by walking into the the Police Station the NIE is free and if you do the Residencia yourself the price is €6.

Check how much they want first as the NIE only takes about 4 weeks, residencia may be longer depending on how busy the local area is!

Regards
Ian
Oh Yes! another day in paradise!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:58 pm

You can open a bank account very easily and the NIE is no different - a couple of visits to the police.

I would wait until you are in Andalucia - it saves all the changes of address!

Sid

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:34 pm

Don't forget to mention the six hour wait at the police station (if you're lucky) or the offhand treatment you will recieve at the hands of the staff if you don't speak Spanish, in this instance I would definitely be willing to pay a gestor up to 100 euros for this service!

ht006d5256
Andalucia.com Amigo

nie and registration

Postby ht006d5256 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:58 pm

Thanks folks as usual you have come up trumps have been in touch with the sorter she charges 50 e to get it sorted she pay es the fees i will have to make a second visit to Lanzarote something about fingerprints life is tough ain't it thanks folks
Howard

Lorraine - Mijas
Resident

Postby Lorraine - Mijas » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:15 pm

It really doe's break my heart to agree with Syd, but I'm afraid I'll have to on this one, residencia/NIE in Lanzarote is a pain in the back side. The lady who deals with it , ROSA is a dragon and if your not proficient in Spanish you won't get any joy out of her. I intend to organise new residencia myself in Lanz over Xmas and will no doubt pay for the privilege as it's a 1000% easier. Are you paying 50€ for 2 or just 1 NIE, as the company I've just contacted quotes 20€ each. You don't need anyone to open bank accounts for you as most branches speak excellent English, You just need your passport, a UK address and a Euro . Both SOL bank and Caixa are very good at hand holding of Foreigners. I know I'll come in for some stick from forum members for paying to get it done but it's my choice before anyone has a go !!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:01 pm

Syd Barrett wrote:Don't forget to mention the six hour wait at the police station (if you're lucky) or the offhand treatment you will recieve at the hands of the staff if you don't speak Spanish, in this instance I would definitely be willing to pay a gestor up to 100 euros for this service!
It does depend on where you are.

In Motril (Granada) there is no wait and the whole process takes 5 minutes. The new card arrives exactly one month later.

Sid

ian.wilson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ian.wilson » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:11 am

You get treated worse for not speaking Spanish so what learn Spanish, have some respect for the country you are living in. Tourists not included in that comment but it does change the way you are treated if you do.

ian.wilson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ian.wilson » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:13 am

Sorry forgot to mention, if you do it on a different address before you arrive you will have to go through the whole process again to change the address. Do it twice why not!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:11 pm

NIEs are issued only once and there is no need to worry about a change of address.

Residencia can be changed for a change of address but our gestor advised us not to bother. Just make sure you have an up to date padron certificate because this is considered to be a better proof of where you live than a residencia card.

Sid

Alan
Tourist

Postby Alan » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:18 pm

ian.wilson wrote:You get treated worse for not speaking Spanish so what learn Spanish, have some respect for the country you are living in. Tourists not included in that comment but it does change the way you are treated if you do.
:shock: Bit harsh isn't it, Ian? Did you learn your Spanish in the short period of time you had before obtaining your NIE?

ian.wilson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ian.wilson » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:01 pm

Hi Alan,

No obviously not!

I learnt my Spanish in 1979 as an 11 old child when I came to live in Marbella. Couldn`t help it as a child it just happens. I was speaking good spanish in about 4 months due to school and wanting to play with other children.

What I am actually saying is it is very much appreciated by Spanish people if people at least try, even badly spoken Spanish gets you a long way. People may even start correcting you and helping you along the way, it shows respect and willingness to learn. I know people who have lived here for 25 years I can`t speak much Spanish (Maybe it`s not there fault, sometimes people just can`t take on other languages). When you see this kind of thing though it makes you me angry as it sets an image to the Spanish of to what the british are like, to many people do not even try.

I work with a lot of english people that can`t even answer the phone and are happy to carry on that way as long as the one that can does and they get their wages.

Hope that explains.

Regards
Ian

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:08 pm

Lorraine - Mijas wrote:It really doe's break my heart to agree with Syd, but I'm afraid I'll have to on this one, residencia/NIE in Lanzarote is a pain in the back side. The lady who deals with it , ROSA is a dragon and if your not proficient in Spanish you won't get any joy out of her. I intend to organise new residencia myself in Lanz over Xmas and will no doubt pay for the privilege as it's a 1000% easier. Are you paying 50€ for 2 or just 1 NIE, as the company I've just contacted quotes 20€ each. You don't need anyone to open bank accounts for you as most branches speak excellent English, You just need your passport, a UK address and a Euro . Both SOL bank and Caixa are very good at hand holding of Foreigners. I know I'll come in for some stick from forum members for paying to get it done but it's my choice before anyone has a go !!
Why does it break your heart Lorraine I don't have any issues with you, I'm entitled to my opinion, are you in Spanish Hopes camp, he'll love this, anyway, A question, please don't think I'm trying to catch you out or start a cyber war It's just a question, if you live (as I guess you do)in Mijas, why are you going to Lanzarote to sort out your residencia, as I said it's a straight question, no subterfuge, I just wondered why!

Lorraine - Mijas
Resident

Postby Lorraine - Mijas » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:34 pm

Basically Syd, because my original was from there, I'm going over for Christmas and because at a later stage I plan to go back their. Residencia issued for Canarian residents offers 30% discount on travel between Islands and also to from the mainland. When your quoted 2200€ (non res)for a 2 way trip on the car ferry, then 30% is a great saving, shame mines just run out :cry:
Lorraine

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:55 pm

Thanks I didn't know that, is it the same for all the Canaries, for example La Palma, I'd like to live there later in life!

Lorraine - Mijas
Resident

Postby Lorraine - Mijas » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:22 pm

Yes all seven Islands, I believe. Also when you book flights online with Iberia and Spanair they always have a dual price from here on the booking form. Discounts also given for all pay to enter tourist attractions/museums etc. So many advantages.
Lorraine

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:24 pm

Thank you Lorraine!

Lorraine - Mijas
Resident

Postby Lorraine - Mijas » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:30 pm

Your welcome......Very naughty of you to try and draw S.H out like that :wink:
Lorraine

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:34 pm

Lorraine - Mijas wrote:Yes all seven Islands, I believe. Also when you book flights online with Iberia and Spanair they always have a dual price from here on the booking form. Discounts also given for all pay to enter tourist attractions/museums etc. So many advantages.
Lorraine
Thta's good info, I'm really hooked on La Palma, my parents are in their eighties now and to be perfectly honest I'm not really in a position to carry out my long term plans at the moment but but when the time comes I'll put that info to good use, Thanks Syd Barrett, Astronomy Domini!!

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:36 pm

Lorraine - Mijas wrote:Your welcome......Very naughty of you to try and draw S.H out like that :wink:
Lorraine

:? :? :?