Sick of Spain

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.

Sick of Spain

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:49 pm

I've had enough of Spain and am selling up. Does anyone know what sort of taxes I will be stung for or how to avoid them?

cliff
Tourist

Postby cliff » Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:53 pm

If you do not hold a residence card then you will have 5% of your declared sale value withheld.

Officially you will have to pay capital gains tax (CGT) of 35% on the increase in escitura value. I believe you can offset your buying and selling costs (like the original IVA and solicitors costs) against the increase in value. If the CGT works out at less than the 5%, then in theory you can claim back the difference. If it's more, then once again in theory you should pay the excess. I think the majority just pay the 5% and leave.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Re: Sick of Spain

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:11 pm

Addy Nuff wrote:I've had enough of Spain and am selling up. Does anyone know what sort of taxes I will be stung for or how to avoid them?
when u do decide to leave, what stuff will you be selling ? i may well be interested in some of it. what do you have?

do you have any building materials ? where do you live ? is it a villa or an apartment? anything you want to sell, PM me and we´ll talk.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

amheuwr
Andalucia.com Amigo

What exactlyl are you sick of?

Postby amheuwr » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:19 pm

Would be interested to know why exactly you are sick of Spain? It is always good to have different points of view on the country. See that you live near Sevilla, has it got anything to do with the area in general?

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:02 pm

I've had enough of the Spanish people in general (not all) the tell tale mentality, the bureaucracy (buying selling property/cars) the fake hospitality and yes, the language, the basic lack of etiquette..i could go on... In fact, to use a word much over used in the media, I feel dissenfranchised but rather than go on a car burning rampage I think I will move on.
I would like to know if anyone else on this forum is feeling like the CDS hasn't lived up to their dreams.

Spanish lad.

I am hoping to sell fully furnished so as not to be lumbered with containers and stuff but if you let me know what you are after i will see what i can do. As for building materials, I suppose you could buy my place, knock it down then recycle the materials?

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:55 pm

Addy Nuff wrote:I
I would like to know if anyone else on this forum is feeling like the CDS hasn't lived up to their dreams.
I'm sure there are some, it doesn't work for everyone. Some will have burnt their boats in moving there, and probably could not move back, even if they wanted to. Some will tough it out, rather than admit they have failed. Some, like some members here, will continue to slag off the UK, and tell us how everything is perfect in Spain! ;-) If it's not for you, I think you are probably making the right decision in admiting that it is not for you, rather than stay there and be miserable!
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:32 am

the tell tale mentality
Thats interesting that you should say that Addy.
I often think when I am in Spain relaxing having a Cruzcampo, that everybody gets on really well, no conflict or punch ups etc.
But I realise that there is something beneath the surface. During the Civil War a lot of the imprisonments/ executions were the result of local gossip - hes a rojo, they are republicanos etc. A society scared of itself where you could be shopped by your next door neighbour and a lot of that remains in small villages where Brits are now settling.

julian
Andalucia Guru

sick of spain

Postby julian » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:03 am

so you´re leaving spain because you´ve had enough of "the language"..............

Re: sick of spain

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:20 am

julian wrote:so you´re leaving spain because you´ve had enough of "the language"..............
Thats what i said..

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:50 am

julian wrote:so you´re leaving spain because you´ve had enough of "the language"..............
I think that was one of many reasons he gave. It would seem to be a culmination of many things, not sure why you have picked out just the language thing, trying to make it sound as if that was the only reason for him leaving. :?
Regards, Frank

amheuwr
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby amheuwr » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:20 am

frank wrote: I think that was one of many reasons he gave. It would seem to be a culmination of many things, not sure why you have picked out just the language thing, trying to make it sound as if that was the only reason for him leaving. :?
I would imagine not being able to speak Spanish, or having only a smattering, could lead to a lot of problems, and possibly the root of all the other problems he has. At the end of the day, a lot depends on the individual and their circumstances. Moving from one culture to another must be incredibly difficult.
My only concern about Addy's post and subsequent answer is that he is generalising, and while it is useful to have different opinions about people's experiences, they need to backed up with some examples of the difficulties he has had. Starting out with his level of Spanish could answer some questions.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:23 am

True, but equally there thousands of Brits living out there quite happily, that can't put two words of Spanish together! Doesn't seem to bother them. Personally, I love the Spanish language, and will be starting some more Spanish classes tomorrow with a Catalan lady (quite expensive classes, as well!) but I guess, not everyone is interested in learning the lingo. It's their loss! ;-)
Regards, Frank

amheuwr
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby amheuwr » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:01 pm

Strange thing happening to this thread? The oringinal poster's details have been removed, but the post is still there. Weird.
frank wrote: True, but equally there thousands of Brits living out there quite happily, that can't put two words of Spanish together!
The original poster gave his location as los Cañadas, which is north west of Sevilla. If that was the case, then I would doubt you would find thousands of Brits living there that cannot speak Spanish. As you know, that area is definitely not the CDS.

wdw477
Tourist

Postby wdw477 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:21 pm

nevada smith wrote: "some of the people can be alright part of the time
and part of the people can be alright some of the time,
but all of the people can't be alright all of the time"
i think abraham lincoln said that...
I once heard that John F Kennedy said 'You can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time' but it comes to the same thing really ...
Dr Johnson said 'A man who is tired of London is tired of life' but I guess a man who's tired of Spain is tired of ... Spain
Try living in rip-off Britain for a while! First frosts forecast for this coming Thursday! Council tax doubled in 2005! Last week I saw a filling station in Chelsea selling petrol @ 129.9 p/litre! Yay!

amheuwr
Andalucia.com Amigo

Pros and cons

Postby amheuwr » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:36 pm

wdw477 wrote: Try living in rip-off Britain for a while! First frosts forecast for this coming Thursday! Council tax doubled in 2005! Last week I saw a filling station in Chelsea selling petrol @ 129.9 p/litre! Yay!
There are pros and cons to where ever you live. I am sure some Spaniards would post equally depressing figures about their standard living costs.
Syd Barrett wrote: Your probably right Nevada, now who on this forum would you say was an olympic champion whiner??
My main reason for leaving the UK will be because of the whingers. I work with and deal with so many of them it is depressing. Maybe if I move to a country where I do not fully understand the language I will not be able to understand the whinging. :wink:

Emilio
Tourist

Happiness

Postby Emilio » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:42 pm

Happiness does not depends on the place you live in. Happiness is in oneself. Sometimes it has to do with sex.

wdw477
Tourist

Re: Pros and cons

Postby wdw477 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:45 pm

amheuwr wrote: Maybe if I move to a country where I do not fully understand the language I will not be able to understand the whinging. :wink:
Particularly not the Spaniards whinging about white-trash Brit residents who don't bother to learn their language :x

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:03 pm

wdw477 wrote:
amheuwr wrote: Maybe if I move to a country where I do not fully understand the language I will not be able to understand the whinging. :wink:
Particularly not the Spaniards whinging about white-trash Brit residents who don't bother to learn their language :x
Would you consider it rude for an immigrant to live in a country and not embrace its language and culture?

wdw477
Tourist

Postby wdw477 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:11 pm

Vern wrote:Would you consider it rude for an immigrant to live in a country and not embrace its language and culture?
(Wondering if this is a loaded question) generally I would consider it unacceptable though there is a case for honourable exceptions. Given that Brits relocating to Spain mostly are so much better off in so many ways, surely it's no more than common courtesy to learn something of the indigenous language and culture?

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:26 pm

wdw477 wrote:
Vern wrote:Would you consider it rude for an immigrant to live in a country and not embrace its language and culture?
(Wondering if this is a loaded question) generally I would consider it unacceptable though there is a case for honourable exceptions. Given that Brits relocating to Spain mostly are so much better off in so many ways, surely it's no more than common courtesy to learn something of the indigenous language and culture?
"honourable exceptions"

such as?