has anyone got?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
surfjabroni
Andalucia.com Amigo

has anyone got?

Postby surfjabroni » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:29 pm

hi,
has anyone got the telefonica/movistar blue card that slots into laptops for internet use without a normal phone line? If so i would like to ask about how good you think it is, watching the usage, coverage etc...
thanks
andy
a bad day in the water beats a good day in the office.... nos vemos en la cresta.. xx andy

surfjabroni
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby surfjabroni » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:22 pm

I found out its called 3G and is a PCMCIA card for your laptop, but there seems to be plenty of extra charges for GPRS etc...
a bad day in the water beats a good day in the office.... nos vemos en la cresta.. xx andy

samizdat
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby samizdat » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:40 pm

I ve had one in the UK, massively expensive! - great fun to impress your friends by emailing them from unlikely places i.e. on a boat, but the cost to download anything is prohibitive. I guess its OK it you use it for emails only.
BUT check where the 3G transmitters are - in the UK only 50% of country has coverage, cant imagine it any higher in Spain.

Its a different transmitter to the normal cell ones.

:cry:

mivste
Tourist

Postby mivste » Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:35 am

I used Vodafone's GPRS Mobile Connect Card with my laptop for over a year before I had Avitel cable installed this April. I was quite pleased with the speed and had seldom any connection/reception problems. I learnt very early on to download my e-mails, skim through web pages very fast, multi-task, disconnect and then read everything afterwards offline. This kept costs down. However, it can be a bit pricey for downloading large files, e.g. Windows Updates, e-mail attachments, etc. (In my case, this was a good thing because it used to keep my laptop free of 'clutter'!). The added advantage was that I could take the laptop and Card anywhere and go online.

geegee
Resident

Postby geegee » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:55 pm

I also had Vodafone's Connect card here before telefonica deigned to fit a land line with ADSL.

I found it rather slow, coverage patchy and yes, expensive to download anything so need to be canny about how you use (last poster had good tactics). It was around 40€ a month if you kept within the very mean 50 megs ration but go over and they hammered you! We had bills of 200-250€ a month sometimes so was pretty painful...