pet passport (again)

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
kal111
Andalucia.com Amigo

pet passport (again)

Postby kal111 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:03 am

Hi
We have finally sold our house and will be moving out in February. We are completing on a Monday and need to know about the timing for the health check for pets. If we get our dog's health check done on the Monday morning when would be the earliest we can leave UK? I have emailed Defra but as yet no reply and our approved vet didn't seem to know either.
Thanks in advance
Kal

pwwm
Resident

Postby pwwm » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:44 am

I would telephone your nearest Defra office, I did just that and she was most helpful, she sent the forms etc by "return" post, the animals need to be chipped and have all the jabs done including rabies. the final health check and am not too sure if I remember correctly but I think it is within 72 hours, certainly no more.
Do try to call your local office, mine was in Reading.
It differs slightly if you are driving through France. If you are not planning to return to the UK then you only need an export licence, as our dogs were rather elderly when we left this was all we did.

But do try telephoning Defra, sorry I cannot help with the number but am sure it will be obtainable easily.
Hope all goes well, have a good move.
Regards pwwm

kal111
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kal111 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:56 pm

Hi
My dog has had her micro chip put in and her inoculations are up to date, we just need to get the rabies jab and final health check done.
If we get the health check done in the morning can we leave the UK the same day? I thought I read somewhere it had to be between 24 hrs and 48 hrs, but probably getting confused with something else.
Thanks.
Kal

pwwm
Resident

Postby pwwm » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:20 am

Not 100% sure re leaving smae day, but I do not see why not. if you have the paperwork what is to stop you?
Oue dogs for their check had their temperature taken and a general check up, listen to the heart etc. considering one of ours had heart problems and the other kidney problems we still got the all clear.
(both elderly when we left)
pwwm

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:34 am

If we get the health check done in the morning can we leave the UK the same day?
The timing oif the check is only important if you want to return to the UK; not in coming out to Spain.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

kal111
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kal111 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:15 am

Thanks pwwm and Alan.
We are completing the sale of our house on a Monday and needed to know if we could start our journey on the Monday or have to wait 'till the Tuesday. Thank you both for clearing that one up.
Kal

kal111
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kal111 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:10 am

Defra finally contacted me today and apparently if your not returning to the UK you do not have to, under EU law, have a health check done and the pet passport can be issued after the animal has been micro chipped and had its rabies jab. Some carriers do require it to make sure the animal is fit to travel though. If at a later date we do decide to return the health check and rabies blood test can be done by an approved EU vet.
Hope this helps others in the same situation.
Kal