GP refused to see me.

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
foremarion
Andalucia.com Amigo

GP refused to see me.

Postby foremarion » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:35 pm

I've just returned from England where I was told I no longer have a GP as 'I live in Spain'. How do they know? I regularly visit my family home and keep that as my address (at the moment). We are awaiting residencia here in Spain - would that have notified England that we live here? Or is 'Big Brother' just getting more clever? :?: :idea:

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:06 pm

Maybe your suntan gave it away! Seem fair enough to me though. If Spain is your country of residence you cant expect to use another country's health service.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:52 pm

kevin77 wrote:Maybe your suntan gave it away! Seem fair enough to me though. If Spain is your country of residence you cant expect to use another country's health service.
exactly my point kevin - if english people come over here, get residencia etc, then decide that they dont like it, they go back to the uk, but they dont think that they will be treated as foreigners - they believe that they will be welcomed with open arms back to their home country. this just emphasises that this is NOT the case.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:44 pm

Not surprisingly, I agree with the other replies! I think a lot here want the best of both worlds. They seem to want all that Spain offers, and then to use the UK as a safety net when it suits them. I can never work out how people living in Spain qualify got the Winter Heating Allowance!
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:11 pm

Frank, you would if you spent a whole winter here, costs more than the UK.!!

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:02 pm

katy wrote:Frank, you would if you spent a whole winter here, costs more than the UK.!!
Katy, I quite believe you! :D You mean it's not always T shirt weather? It just amazes me that people that have turned their backs on the UK and left these shores, can still qualify for the allowance.
Regards, Frank

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:09 pm

Don't forget its only for pensioners and they have probably paid contributions all their life. It is t-shirt weather though, with a track suit over and a cardy and its pi**ing down. :(

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:17 pm

Frank, they only turn their back on what suits them to do so. Many of them still drive around in their UK registered cars, on their UK driving licences, buy imported UK food, listen to UK orientated radios stations, watch UK satellite television in UK owned bars and employ unregistered UK odd-job men.

I'm not suggesting this applies to any member of this forum but I am sure everyone knows at least one person who fits this description!

sick and tired
Andalucia.com Amigo

refused by gp

Postby sick and tired » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:25 pm

you do not have to go to spain to be refused treatment on the nhs in the uk has anyone tried to get registered at a dentist recently?

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:49 pm

katy wrote:Don't forget its only for pensioners and they have probably paid contributions all their life.

This is of course true Katy, the same as they have paid towards the NHS, but I'm of the opinion that once they opt out of UK, that should sever all connections with the UK, certainly all fiscal benefits.

It is t-shirt weather though, with a track suit over and a cardy and its pi**ing down. :(

O no! :D It's been lovely here again,cold with perfectly blue skies. I particulary like these fresh, sunny days. The cold I can stand, it's the rain that's the problem!
Regards, Frank

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:57 pm

Beachcomber wrote:Frank, they only turn their back on what suits them to do so. Many of them still drive around in their UK registered cars, on their UK driving licences, buy imported UK food, listen to UK orientated radios stations, watch UK satellite television in UK owned bars and employ unregistered UK odd-job men.
Beach, you are spot on! I sometimes despair reading these forums, not really knowing why people ever moved there. I can only come up with the weather, as everything else seems to have a UK connection. And now they expect us to save them a seat in the UK surgery as well, just in case they fancy popping bach for some free treatment! ;-) Thank God, some of you have embraced the Spanish way of life.
Regards, Frank

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:37 pm

has anyone tried to get registered at a dentist recently?
My experiences with dentists in Spain is that you pay up front and take it like a toro!

foremarion
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby foremarion » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:18 am

Well that opened the door to let everyone on their soapboxes. Not one person answered the question. I was not asking opinions on where I choose to live!!! At the moment it appears until we get residencia we are not welcome anywhere - despite 43 years of contribution in tax and NI, in the UK. Quite rightly we are not entitled to anything here as we have not paid into the system. My 'tan' was obviously not quite enough to get free treatment (I have red hair and freckles!!!) maybe if I had spoken Somalian I would have been OK. :!:

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:22 am

foremarion wrote:Well that opened the door to let everyone on their soapboxes. Not one person answered the question. I was not asking opinions on where I choose to live!!! At the moment it appears until we get residencia we are not welcome anywhere - despite 43 years of contribution in tax and NI, in the UK. Quite rightly we are not entitled to anything here as we have not paid into the system. My 'tan' was obviously not quite enough to get free treatment (I have red hair and freckles!!!) maybe if I had spoken Somalian I would have been OK. :!:
Far be it for me to ask the obvious question but there are options open to everyone so either you are entitled to an E106 or 121 or whilst you were sorting these things out a private medical insurance would have bought you peace of mind surely?

I personally cannot find any sane explanation for moving to a foreign country and not arranging any health cover - free or otherwise.

In another message someone said we all must know one person who has no health cover, in my case I know lots and I am fed up with listeneing to their whinging.

Invariably the whingers are the same people who go on and on about their reasons for leaving the UK and top of their list are immigrants sponging off the health system.

Where I live near Valencia the village doctor refuses to see anyone unless they have the correct paperwork.

A few weeks ago I was in the A and E of a big state hospital in Valencia when I saw 3 English people demanding treatment and all they had were British passports. They were asked for E111 and didnt even have one of those!

I dont know what was wrong with them but they were ejected by security guards!

Mike

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:39 pm

Finally I am relieved, nay, gladdened to hear some voices of reason, I live for the greater part of the year in the UK, I pay my taxes there and use the medical system there thankfully not often.
It never ceases to amaze me that people choose to migrate to Spain without a "living plan".
I'm very lucky, my living costs here are negligible as I consider it my holiday home for anything up to five months per year but I still make sure that I have full medical and accident insurance which covers me for any eventuality.
I think most of the whingers are, as has been pointed out, those who want the best of both worlds but are not prepared to commit themselves to either!

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:08 pm

The way I see it (from the terrace, in the sun 24º).... in any doctor's waiting room, in any country, and you will find, that, the great majority of patients are over 50.. therefore the majority of English receiving treatment in Spain, are those who have paid their contributions in England (thanks to EU)..
However some in England seem to feel that, any English person, who has chosen to live in Spain, has deserted his home country, and should therefore not expect to reap "benefits" (from TV to baked beans) from a country he has betrayed. These people also presume that anything good or positive said regarding life in Spain, is an insult or negative to life in Britain. They are constantly on the defense, and spend a lot of time on a forum intended for those looking for information or resources in Andalucia and Southern Spain. (giving their opinion from Britain)
Life in Andalucia is not perfect...just better...
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:21 pm

until we get residencia we are not welcome anywhere - despite 43 years of contribution in tax and NI, in the UK.
Yes, foremarion, you have paid 43 years of NI and received 43 years of free health cover in the UK in return. Now you want to leave the club, stop paying NI, but take your 'free benefits for life' with you. !

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:42 pm

NI covers more than free health cover...
kevin77 being British is not the same as being in the army...British who change their residence are not deserters. Britain is part of EU (The European Union (EU) is a union of twenty-five independent states based on the European Communities and founded to enhance political, economic and social co-operation.)
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:52 pm

That's right Silver, but won't it be nice when they start to think and act unilaterally on social matters!

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:12 pm

Forgive me if I am missing something. Not talking about foremarion in particular, but a person who leaves the UK and 'emigrates' to another country where he will presumably pay taxes if working, then expects to be able to still benefit from free health care, child allowance, winter fuel allowance etc. from the UK. These people want it both ways, they are taking the ****!