Electricity

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
redsoxbrit
Resident

Electricity

Postby redsoxbrit » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:21 pm

Beachcomber- not too sure, all I know is the same switch in the fusebox keeps tripping if that means anything? I think maybe El Cid is right as we are renting our apartment. Never mind, at least we know what to do now.

Valencia_Paul
Resident

Postby Valencia_Paul » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:31 pm

Fair comment Bongtrees :wink:

Sid - my flat is old, built in the 70s I think.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:55 pm

Valencia_Paul wrote: Sid - my flat is old, built in the 70s I think.
OK - so there could be a problem with anything over 5.5kW but even 4.4kW would make a difference.

Your best bet is to ask the electricity company - they will inspect it and tell you if it is possible. It is in their interests to encourage you to use more power!

Sid

Valencia_Paul
Resident

Postby Valencia_Paul » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:11 pm

Sid,

Thanks for the advice. As it happens I'm quite happy with my 4.2 or 4.4 Kw supply as it stands. I use gas for cooking and heating water and an electric heater during the colder months. My immediate problems are bathroom and kitchen rennovations and improving my Spanish!

The question was raised by redsoxbrit, not me, who has only 3.3 Kw, 11 rooms and no gas appliances. Hopefully she will benefit from your advice.

Paul.

PS: Sounds like the thermometer was in the sun. A lot of people don't know you can't measure air temperature with the sun shining on your thermometer.

Frank77, if it was were you suggested surely it would read about 37 degrees
:shock:

stellastaff
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby stellastaff » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:34 pm

Just want to say that we have a VERY old electric supply to our home.

When we moved in we had a grand total of about 5amps coming through our fuse wire (no box installed!!!). Anyhow, now we have a little more thanks to a nifty electrcian friend, but have not had our supply up-rated. (all legal I promise).

We are still on the supply that endesa have supplied us with and I use a big electric cooker, washing machine, dishwasher etc all from uk and have only tripped out the fuse twice in a year! This was because I had all three prior mentioned appliances on at once!

We do not have sockets upstairs as yet only lights but now we are running a small electric heater also! Can not work it out but I'm happy!

Can anyone help with modernising an old house, mainly how to get rid of rising damp in a stone built house with no (known) foundations?

Thank-you
Donna

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:51 pm

Valencia_Paul wrote: The question was raised by redsoxbrit, not me, who has only 3.3 Kw, 11 rooms and no gas appliances. Hopefully she will benefit from your advice. Paul. :
Sorry! My mistake. You have confirmed my point that even 4.4kW is likely to be more acceptable that 3.3kW.

Sid

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:27 pm

It has to be borne in mind that although the contracted power is given in kilowatts the ICPs are rated in ampères and based on an assumption that the voltage supply is 220v.

Every schoolboy knows (or perhaps he doesn't) that amps=watts divided by volts so a contracted power of 3,3kw would mean the installation of an ICP of 15 amps 4,4kw an ICP of 20 amps and so on.

Fine so far but the problem comes if, like me, your voltage supply usually struggles to reach 200 volts. In this case if I was contracted for 4,4kw (I actually have 5,26 but that's another story) at 200 volts I would be trying to draw 22 amps but my ICP would trip out at 20 amps so the maximum amount of power I would be able to use at one time is 4kw instead of 4,4.

¡Qué vergüenza! you may exclaim. Well it would be except that I don't have an ICP and neither do any of my neighbours and that is probably why.

Admin, if you wish to delete this post on the basis that it is totally incomprehensible I shall quite understand. :?

jazper
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jazper » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:22 am

Beach
Electrical equipment like kettles, ovens, water heaters and lights have resistive loads. This means that as the voltage drops, so does the current. The power rating is not maintained.
Electronic equipment, like PCs, do try to maintain the power load though.

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:00 am

Admin, if you wish to delete this post on the basis that it is totally incomprehensible I shall quite understand.
It's OK Beach; we are used to it by now. :mrgreen:

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:31 pm

Yes I know, Jazper, but electric motors don't. The lower the voltage the higher the current which can cause a motor to burn out prematurely. I have a protector on my 'fridge-freezer which stops it operating at a voltage below 195 and the pool motor also trips out at low voltages and it still means that if I had an ICP it would trip out before it was supposed to.

My PCs are not a problem because the are protected by a number of UPSes which more than earn their keep.

They must have understood my post, Frank, because they haven't deleted it. :D

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:37 pm

One way to ‘even out’ electricity usage, is to operate things like washing machines, dish washers and tumble driers etc at night, by using plug in timers, and with the cheap overnight electricity tariff there can also be a financial gain. :D

regards gretch

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:05 pm

gretch wrote:One way to ‘even out’ electricity usage, is to operate things like washing machines, dish washers and tumble driers etc at night, by using plug in timers, and with the cheap overnight electricity tariff there can also be a financial gain.
If you have a night tariff then there is no restriction on the wattage - they actually remove the ICP (potencia) trip - they install a new fuse in the meter box.

The problem is that you cannot have a night tariff unless you have the right capacity of wiring and you also may have to change the meter box for a large one to accomodate the new meter and time clock.

That said, a night meter is the best and cheapest way of getting your "potencia" upgraded. It can save a huge amount on your bill as the off peak supply is less than half the cost of the peak rate. I have a night tariff and (with a bit of planning) 45% of my consumption is at the cheap rate.

I am not aware that there is a charge to install the night meter (apart from the cost of a larger meter box which has to be supplied by the user) as they are encouraging the use of night usage. This may be a function of where you live. The meter charge seems a bit arbitary as there is no "official" potencia. I have 15kW and get charged for 4.3. I have no idea why!

Sid

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:52 pm

Sid

I always think it’s wonderful when some one posts a snippet of information that another member replies with more details and technical stuff. :shock:

Thanks, gretch

Nikvin
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nikvin » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:52 pm

when we had our supply connected I requested a night tariff meter, and then whilst discussing with the very helpful lady at the office how much to contract for, she told me they didnt put the "limitador" in the night meters.

However some time after that they did start putting them in again, on new installations.

El cid, is this yet another change?

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:01 pm

who do u have to call to get a night meter ?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:30 pm

Nikvin wrote: However some time after that they did start putting them in again, on new installations. El cid, is this yet another change?
It could be. I had mine put in 2 years ago. It could also be different depending where you live.

Sid

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:35 pm

spanish_lad wrote:who do u have to call to get a night meter ?
Your local Sevilliana office should be able to help.

Sid