RE: Caravan parts outlet needed

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Ever Hopeful
Tourist

RE: Caravan parts outlet needed

Postby Ever Hopeful » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:28 pm

HI Folks,

Does anyone know of an outlet that supplies <b>parts for caravans</b> down on the coast. We require a new side window after forced entry by local youth.

We live inland in Cortes and would assume the best chance of a caravan sales/parts suppliers would be on the coast.

Many thanks
Carolyn

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:52 pm

go into any caravan / camper sales place and ask

"hola, faltan una ventana para mi caravan, tu sabes donde puede comprar recambios?"
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:18 am

Ever hopeful.

Not sure which Cortes you are in seem's to be hundreds of them but there is a caravan sales on the coast road from Torre del Mar towards Malaga. I think they have another branch on the motorway near Santa Fe just short of Granada airport.

Mhic

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:35 pm

spanish_lad wrote:go into any caravan / camper sales place and ask

"hola, faltan una ventana para mi caravan, tu sabes donde puede comprar recambios?"
Spanishlad, I don't want to be "un quisquilloso", but there are a few mistakes there, the main one being.
Falta una ventana.
Faltan unas ventanas.

:D
That should bring anti grammar brigade out!
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Valencia_Paul
Resident

Postby Valencia_Paul » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:19 pm

Strictly speaking I don't think the "tu" is necessary because "sabes" is quite unambiguous, unlike sabe where you might throw in an usted to be clear what you mean. Sorry Spanish Lad, couldn't resist. :D

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:15 pm

stop reading from books and listening to your expensive cds and go and actually talk to a real live spanish person !!!

you will be understood if you say what i wrote.

your grammer and language may help you pass spanish exams, but you will be ridiculed in the street.

its like walking into brixton and talking like a oxford uni student. ;)

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:26 pm

Valencia_Paul wrote:Strictly speaking I don't think the "tu" is necessary because "sabes" is quite unambiguous, unlike sabe where you might throw in an usted to be clear what you mean. Sorry Spanish Lad, couldn't resist. :D
I did say there were a few! Agree with the "tu". In fact, "tu" sounds a little informal for someone you don't really know.

tu sabes donde puede comprar recambios.
I think something like, ¿Sabe usted dónde se puede/puedo comprar recambios? might be more suitable. However, the man lives there, I'm sure he's much more fluent than we are! ;-)[/list]
Regards, Frank

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:04 am

lol, calm down you lot !!!

i´m just saying, that round here, and with me knowing the shop keepers, thats they way i would talk to them and i would be understood.

"book spanish" is only needed when it is written in formal letters. "street alhaurini" is what we speak around here, and is what you will find written on shop signs, on martket stalls. you will never see "Formal" spanish written anywhere around here. .

nevada smith

Postby nevada smith » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:25 am

spanish lad -
recommend you take frank with a grain of salt -
this is a guy who speaks a spanish that is 'taught'. not spoken...
pretty much like english or any other language - keep in mind - this is a guy who paid two different prices for the same room and doesn't know why - mr 100% sure before he does anything himself...

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:54 am

spanish_lad wrote:ol, calm down you lot !!!

I'm calm, believe me! :D :D

stop reading from books and listening to your expensive cds and go and actually talk to a real live spanish person !!!

I frequently do converse with Spanish people. We have Spanish friends that I write and speak to quite often, people that we have stayed with many times, and have no problems conversing with. I still attend Spanish classes , where for a couple of hours, not a word of English is spoken. All of those I would class as real Spanish people! You didn't disappoint me your replies mind. :D ¡Cálmate, hombre!

you will be understood if you say what i wrote.

You would indeed! But you'd be better understood, if it was correct Spanish. My only reason for replying, was if you tell someone to say something, it's better if it is correct. Whilst you may know the shopkeepers and get away with the Tu form, they may take offence at a stranger using tu.

your grammer and language may help you pass spanish exams, but you will be ridiculed in the street.

Agree, it might help me pass exams, but I have never taken one, never felt the need for it. If I walked into some grubby bar, and the barman told me I spoke reasonable Spanish, that would mean so much more to me than some useless bit of paper saying I had passed an exam. Funnily, I have never been ridiculed for my Spanish or my grammar, quite the opposite in fact. I'm absolutely sure you are much more fluent than I am, especially in your part of the world. Andalucia is probably one of the worst places in Spain to learn Spanish, the rest of Spain often say of the andaluces that "casi se comen las palabras" and ridicule their accent. :D

its like walking into brixton and talking like a oxford uni student. ;)

Quite possibly! But I bet some old farmer from Andalucia can understand, say, a news reader talking in correct Spanish, but the reverse might not be true. Listen to someone from Huelva for example, extremely difficult to follow. My Spanish may be light years away from being perfect, or even good, but I see no problem with learning the grammar as you go along, it certainly improves your overall understanding of the language.
Anyway, tranquilo, we´ll agree to disagree on this one. :D

Regards, Frank