Car kept in Spain by Non Resident

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Nige
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nige » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:27 pm

Beach- that makes more sense. If buying a second hand vehicle I would have thought that it was absolutely the responsibility of the buyer to make sure all the necessary paperwork with Trafico etc was in order. Don't rely on the seller :wink:

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:39 pm

The purchaser has 15 days in which to register the change of ownership. If it is not done it is he (the purchaser) who gets the fine not the seller.

However, it is also in the interest of the seller to ensure that the vehicle is registered in the new owner's name otherwise he (the seller) will get lumbered with all the fines and circulation tax so he will often accompany the purchaser to Tráfico to make sure it is done.

It is probably easier and not too expensive to arrange for a gestor to handle the transfer. This can take anything up to three months but he will issue an official document to certify that the change of ownership is in progress and this is acceptable to the authorities if you are stopped.

I know it is in Spanish but this is the part of the DGT web site that deals with vehicle transfers:

http://www.dgt.es/tramites/vehiculos/Transferencia2.htm

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:19 am

this is all very confusing :D lol
Last edited by spanish_lad on Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:25 am

Can anyone advise me please whether the circulation tax is renewable on a calendar year basis or 12 months from the actual last payment? My first payment of the tax was in March 2005 but I am unsure whether it was due for in January 2006 or in March 2006

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:31 am

masterob wrote:Can anyone advise me please whether the circulation tax is renewable on a calendar year basis or 12 months from the actual last payment? My first payment of the tax was in March 2005 but I am unsure whether it was due for in January 2006 or in March 2006

normally 12 months. but dont listen top me, i´m always wrong.-

it is only due when u get a letter telling you it is. you can go to the town hall payments office if you really want, but it is not necesary.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:40 am

spanish_lad, many thanks. I was hoping it would be 12 months otherwise I would have "lost" 2 months in the first year. I will probably check at the Town Hall just for certain!

lis48
Resident

Postby lis48 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:25 pm

The way I have always understood it, is that circulation tax has to be paid by the end of March for that particular year. So if you paid by March 2005, you were covered for the whole year Jan to Dec 2005. You have until end March 2006 to pay for the 2006 year i.e you pay it partly in advance and partly retrospectively. Totally different from the UK. So if you sell a car before March, the buyer pays the tax for the year, but if you sell after March, the vendor has to pay it. Round here, my council tax works the same way. Do you agree Beach, or have I always got it wrong?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:36 pm

Yes, you have got it right except that the dates vary from municipality to municipality. In fact, in some municipalities you do not even get notified personally. The notification just takes the form of a note on the notice board in the local Town Hall and in the official bulletin of the province.

It usually has to be paid between two set dates over about a two month period which is usually the same period as for the IBI and basura and this payment is for the whole of the financial year.

It is probably best to put it on direct debit along with your other payments to the Town Hall but you still need to check that it goes out of your bank account at the right time.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:18 pm

this thread is very interesting to everyone, as it seems alot of questions from different people are getting answered. it seems like a good idea to keep all car related questions in this one place?

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:17 am

Many thanks for the helpful advice given in regard to the circulation tax. Clearly a visit to the Town Hall is needed! :)

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:11 am

masterob wrote:Many thanks for the helpful advice given in regard to the circulation tax. Clearly a visit to the Town Hall is needed! :)
"yo quierro pagar los impuestos de mi coche" .. should suffice (go ahead, someone correct me somewhere on that :roll: )

you´ll probably need a bill to prove where you live, something like that. perhaps your car registration papers maybe.

whenever i go into the office i just ask whats outstanding on my house, its easier.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:30 pm

Again thanks, that's helpful. Actually I had assumed that the current circulation document which was issued in March 2005 should suffice but I shall go armed with every "official" document I can lay my hands on! :)