New to Spain

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Midnight Rambler

New to Spain

Postby Midnight Rambler » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:07 pm

Open letter to the forum.
I have been in this country less than 24 hours, during which time I have found a bad hotel and thought at one stage last night I was back in London. I am new to Spain having lived in the Caribbean for the some years, Any comments I make here will not be of a derogatory nature but possibly observational, as I said I'm new here, I don't even want to be here but as a wage slave like many, I must be, so I will make the best of it, the posters who have abused me on the other forum have clearly not understood my comments, I trust you will humour my feeble attempts at integrating and excuse any poor errors of judgement I may make regarding protocol here, Rick Lettes Aka Midnight Rambler!!

Midnight Rambler

Postby Midnight Rambler » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:25 pm

I should add that I will try, as in the past to be a useful member of the forum, however direct abuse will be met in kind, thanks!

chrisuk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby chrisuk » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:54 pm

Im a bit baffled, you are in Spain against your own will...... so are we all going to just see negative after negative posts from you, I hope not but there you go.

Are you going to be long term or is it a short spell working in Spain
Hope it all pans out well for you

Cheers

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:51 pm

feeble attempts at integrating
You will have to try harder mate...or live SOLO... 8)
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

Midnight Rambler

Postby Midnight Rambler » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:48 pm

chrisuk wrote:Im a bit baffled, you are in Spain against your own will...... so are we all going to just see negative after negative posts from you, I hope not but there you go.

Are you going to be long term or is it a short spell working in Spain
Hope it all pans out well for you

Cheers
Let me ease your bafflement Chris, I work where I am sent in order to collect a large salary, I have been told I will be working here for a minimum three years, I have been posting here regularly for several months asking questions, seeking advice etc, yesterday was a bad day for me, I made the mistake of making some very negative comments regarding this and was jumped upon by the local "expat brigade" you find them in all foreign enclaves, instead of welcoming me as a possible asset which I definitely could be they have decided to be the local "you'll have to be accepted by us first committee" (like I give a flying Fu%%) Yes I am here basically against my will, however I'll never get another job like this, so I'll stick with it , learn the language and learn to handle life in Spain and enjoy it with or without help from the Fuengirola element who are so clearly in evidence here!!

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:20 pm

I am one of the people above who always sus you out. I am not an ex. pat as I'm afraid I am not lucky enough to be in Spain permanently yet.

Even if I were I still wouldn't buy a burger from you. :roll:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:53 pm

If you are being sent out here to work why is the company sending you to live out in the sticks, why not a slick apartment in Marbella? When your co. sends you to work overseas its supposed to be a perk and usually get superior accommadation.

Midnight Rambler

Postby Midnight Rambler » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:24 pm

katy wrote:If you are being sent out here to work why is the company sending you to live out in the sticks, why not a slick apartment in Marbella? When your co. sends you to work overseas its supposed to be a perk and usually get superior accommadation.
Katy I've been posting here for months, haven't you been listening, I'm A studio production manager, that is not the same as a record producer, my job is basically keeping musicians under control ie make sure they work when they should and don't take too many drugs or drink too much when they're free.
For the last six years I have been living in paradise Aka Georgetown Grand Cayman (some say George Town) I had a nice three bed bungalow next to the studio and a cook plus driver/gopher at my disposal twelve to fourteen hours a day.
I was informed about three months ago by my boss that the whole operation (the recording studio) was being moved to Spain because the operating costs are 30-35% cheaper, now my salary is not small, I'm not getting any younger and to find another job of this calibre at my age in this industry is a bit like winning the lotto, virtually no chance so I have to come to Spain.
We, that is my boss, has purchased a large property in Villanueva de Tapia which when the reformation is complete will house a state of the art multi function recording studio, six bedroomes, two kitchens, two lounges and a pool, this vision however is some way off, admittedly the place will be superb when finished but my beef is that right now I'm stuck here hold ing the baby so to speak while he has taken over my (his) house in Georgetown, do you begin to feel my chagrin?
My boss is actually a great guy, and I love my job but I wasn't prepared for this.
To be out in the sticks is an absolute must in this game because security is a big factor when recording new material so the farther out in the sticks the better, I hope this explanation was of some use to you, Midnight Rambler.

MaggieMay
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MaggieMay » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:09 pm

Yeah, that information was classic Al.
No doubt Katy will be zooming across from Marbella right this minute to get your autograph.
Do let me know if Rod Stewart is ever recording down at your big studio :roll:
I wear it well...........

Midnight Rambler

Postby Midnight Rambler » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:49 pm

MaggieMay wrote:Yeah, that information was classic Al.
No doubt Katy will be zooming across from Marbella right this minute to get your autograph.
Do let me know if Rod Stewart is ever recording down at your big studio :roll:
We never, ever make it public knowledge who is using the studio, that would be the worst possible pr I could think of, however we have had some huge stars in Georgetown, as far as Spain is concerned I don't see our clientele changing much, as for Rod, he normally uses Bill Wymans mobile facility in Cap Ferrat, or Muscle Shoals, Alabama, for your information!! check his sleeve notes!

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:07 pm

check his sleeve notes!
Well Maggie, I knew Rod was getting on a bit, but needing to write notes on his sleeve to help him remember his way through the gig is a bit worrying.

Midnight Rambler

Postby Midnight Rambler » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:25 pm

spanish hopes wrote:
check his sleeve notes!
Well Maggie, I knew Rod was getting on a bit, but needing to write notes on his sleeve to help him remember his way through the gig is a bit worrying.
That's almost funny, perhaps you're not such a jerk, but then again I know better!

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:33 pm

That's almost funny, perhaps you're not such a jerk, but then again I know better!
How? I've never been to Finland and you couldn't afford to come to the Xmas get together to pay your much publisized donation to a charity of a Gurus choice.
It must have been terrible for you after the canny debacle. Trying to rejoin as another fool only to be thwarted by A.com filter system so forced to act almost normally in order to retain your present I.D.'s.
However , as always you couldn't keep it up, yet another psychotic episode in your multi personality disordered lifetime. The result, Midnight Rambler comes out and shows his true colours.

chrisuk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby chrisuk » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:52 pm

All I can add "Midnight Rambler" is I sincerley hope it works out for you, I have a feeling it will grow on you when the dust has settled and the Studio is up and running, in one of your replies above I see why you were so peeped off, as to the Feungolo... or what ever they are suppose to be, take it with a pinch of salt...... sit back and relax, hope you have a car to get around, now this may sound daft but I swear by them, why not grab a Satnav system, that way you wont get lost or need directions, I have one and can honstly say they are worth their weight in gold, simply punch in where you want to go, once you master how to use them you'll find attractions become a whole lot more fun getting too and so less painful.

My Satnav has the whole of Europe on it so choose wise if you get one

Cheers

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:01 am

Midnight Rambler your main problem seems to be
I can't get no satisfaction
Sort yourself out first.. the rest will be easy..give Spain a chance.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

Midnight Rambler

Postby Midnight Rambler » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:58 pm

This evening I have eaten so much humble pie I'm full, I have spent the day with our architect, a truly nice man who I wish was my brother, this guy is in his sixties, speaks, Castillian, Basque, French, German, Swedish and English, he has spent the best part of the day with me discussing our requirements for refurbishment, his patience is endless and he has the most impeccable manners, the best period though was when he made a call on his cellphone and we were picked up shortly after in a mercedes, by his equally delightful wife, and taken to lunch in a "Venta", somewhere in the hills , don't ask me where, great, I couldn't believe what we paid, peanuts, I think I'll like it here, he has also arranged for the track leading to the house to be widened on monday, or tuesday or wednesday, but what the hell!

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:06 pm

After eating all that humble pie for breakfast could you really do justice to the menu del dia at the venta?
I thought bacon, pancakes with maple syrup was an odd breakfast favoured by americans but humble pie beats it. Perhaps it is the Finnish influence.
The resizing of the dirt track may make it easier for you carry your tall tales back and forth.

Midnight Rambler

Postby Midnight Rambler » Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:33 pm

spanish hopes wrote:After eating all that humble pie for breakfast could you really do justice to the menu del dia at the venta?
I thought bacon, pancakes with maple syrup was an odd breakfast favoured by americans but humble pie beats it. Perhaps it is the Finnish influence.
The resizing of the dirt track may make it easier for you carry your tall tales back and forth.
Spanish hopes, I'm not American or Finnish :? :? :? who would want to be!

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:16 pm

Spanish hopes, I'm not American or Finnish
There are a lot of things that you are not T0ps but it doesn't stop you from saying that you are.

asiwalkedout
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby asiwalkedout » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:57 pm

midnight - I think you are just going to have to make the best of it, quite honestly your lot sounds a lot better than most and ok you've had to uproot your life but things could be worse, you have a well paid job in an industry that most people would die to get in to, so I think you just have to stop whinging and get on with it, you should know better at your age
don't turn your dream into reality or it could turn in to your worst nightmare!