A Place in the Sun wants House Hunters

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
grantg

A Place in the Sun wants House Hunters

Postby grantg » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:42 pm

A PLACE IN THE SUN
Home or Away
CHANNEL 4

Are you ready to buy a dream holiday home?
Or are you looking for a complete relocation?

Well if you’re torn between buying in the U.K. or venturing abroad the new series of ‘A Place in the Sun: Home or Away’ is ready to help!

They are especially looking for people interested in buying in Antequera.

Please call 0161 236 65 78 or email [email protected] for details!

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:45 pm

As these programmes are a manufactured fantasy made for TV why would anyone bother?
Grouser

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:46 pm

A free holiday and their 15+ minutes of fame.

chrisuk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby chrisuk » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:29 am

Waste of time, they are not interested if you know what you want ie: location or house restoration, they want dumb stupid people who havnt a clue, ask Dave

pwwm
Resident

Postby pwwm » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:06 pm

Be fair, people in the UK enjoy these programmes , I used to and to some extent still enjoy them but for different reason's.
I now know what it is like living here.
Some time ago my friends house was on the programme (I am talking 3 to 4 years ago) the price quoted differed each time it was mentioned, to say the ex owner was cross is an understatement.
If people want their "15 mins of fame" let them enjoy.

If nobody watched the programme the producers would not be looking for more people to come on the show. So sit back and be smug, that those of us already here and settled can see the mistakes and things not being mentioned!!
pwwm

chrisuk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby chrisuk » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:13 pm

Quite right, he programme does make for interesting viewing...

crazyrhythm
Tourist

A Place in the Sun

Postby crazyrhythm » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:12 pm

We have just returned from a trip to the UK to find that:-

a) a TV crew & presenter, agent and prospective buyers have been running all over our house filming in our absence (the agent did have a key and verbal permission to show people round).
b) these potential buyers made an offer about 4 weeks ago while we were still in the UK, which we accepted. We had known only this part of the deal until today ie we had known nothing of the filming etc.
c) They have today inexplicably pulled out, having made only a €3000 goodwill gesture deposit to the agent, laid down innumerable conditions about what we should leave, when we should vacate, and so on.

I'm not sure who pays their expenses on these TV programmes but I'm sure they never had any intentions of fulfilling their promises but saw it as a free holiday jaunt and their 15 minutes of fame. I also do not expect to see any of the €3000 but the part I'm interested in is this -

Can these "Place in the Sun" style TV programmes really invade your property without permission and presumably use this in their TV programmes? I have no desire to see my home splashed across TV screens for other people's entertainment!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:33 am

Make sure that you at least get the €3000, you can be sure that the agent was given a considerable back-hander to make your property available to them. Threaten to report him to the police for theft of the money and to name and shame him on as many fora as you can gain access to if he doesn't pay up and, most importantly, change the locks so that he no longer has access to your property.

Write to the TV company and send them a bill for any damage that they may have caused to your property and make it clear that you do not give your permission for your property to be featured in their programme.

As you had given the agent permission to show prospective purchasers over the property it is unlikely that you have any legal redress against any party but if the TV company is unco-operative you may have some grounds for complaint to the British Independent Broadcasting Authority or BBC depending on which broadcaster the programme was being made for.

One other thing that has occurred to me is how did you find out that a TV company was involved?

Nige
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nige » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:44 am

Hasn't Amanda put on weight.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:46 am

Beachcomber wrote:Make sure that you at least get the ?3000, you can be sure that the agent was given a considerable back-hander to make your property available to them. Threaten to report him to the police for theft of the money and to name and shame him on as many fora as you can gain access to if he doesn't pay up and, most importantly, change the locks so that he no longer has access to your property.
Beachcomber

About 5 months or so ago my wife was contacted by and met members of the production team and I can assure you that she was never offered any money, back handers, call it what you will.

However, right from the first phone call she was informed that owners had to be present at the viewing and sign a contract allowing the filming AND without any payment. The production team would not accept 3rd party powers or permissions under any circumstances.

My wife met some of the team when they arrived in Spain ahead of the cameraman, presenter and ¨buyers¨ but decided not to participate as she was not prepared to promote an area as up and coming when in fact it was actually going down and getting worse.

With the amount of estate agents desperate to get themselves a free mention anywhere let alone on this type of show, I am surprised that you think they would get paid.

However given the above, the story does not quite gel for me.

If a contract was signed a month ago why hasn't the seller got the deposit?

I certainly have not nor know of anyone who has entered into a contract of sale without receiving any money. If a seller does not complete the sale (and it happened to me once) he has to repay double the initial deposit. Who would agree to do that if they had never received the deposit in the first place?

You said
¨One other thing that has occurred to me is how did you find out that a TV company was involved?¨
I wondered that to.

Mike

crazyrhythm
Tourist

A House in the Sun

Postby crazyrhythm » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:06 am

I'm afraid I didn't say a contract was signed - I said an offer was made and accepted with an interim "gesture" payment in advance of the compraventa being signed - a holding deposit if you will. As I said, we were in the UK and not in a position to sign the full agreement until this week. I do not expect to see any of this €3000 as there was no formal agreement in respect of it.
And I found out about the film crew etc from the agent today. He is apparently a "sub-agent" for a coastal company who had been squiring these people around all week. Our neighbour had told me there were people with "webcams" in an email but I had not fully appreciated what this meant until today's events.
I am not aware that anyone caused any damage - I just object to the thought of my house being used as a prop in a TV show without my permission and wanted an opinion on whether this is the norm.

Lorraine - Mijas
Resident

Postby Lorraine - Mijas » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:13 pm

Crazyrhythm is correct, 3000€ is a holding deposit, a standard amount so I believe and is usually held by the agent until the 10% deposit is paid and the contract is signed.
This happened to me in Jan 2005, a guy made on offer on 3 properties, including mine, paid all the holding fee's then messed around making all kinds of demands before disappearing into the sunset. It took several weeks to get my money off the agent and even then I only received 50% they agent kept the rest "for expenses" !!! My apartment was off the market for 3 months :evil:
Poor old agent made 4,500€ for there trouble and the cost of a handful of phone calls :shock:
Would check the small print of your contract with the agent as it should stipulate how much if any monies are kept by the agent in the event of a sale not going ahead.

Lorraine

tigertony
Tourist

Postby tigertony » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:49 pm

A place in the sun is a joke!!! Not only does it fill the british plublic with the wrong impression on living in Spain, but Its programmes like this that will eventually destroy what is great about andalucia.

Also all the repeated shows are very old and prices are not what they were in 2001.

So 10 programes in one week on Sky telling everyone about the £30k finca's is not doing anyone here any favours. (Or the 30p pint of lager!!!)

Do we really want to turn this place into "Benidorm".

Let them ruin eastern europe and leave spain alone!!!