early retirement and health costs

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
laswalkirias
Andalucia.com Amigo

early retirement and health costs

Postby laswalkirias » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:39 pm

I am moving to Spain on a small pension at the age of 53, i can get a E106 for 2 years free healthcare but am puzzled about my options after that runs out, Is it possible to get health insurance that just pays for emergency treatment at A and E as I could see local doctors on a pay as you go basis?I have looked at previous threads on healthcare costs and cant seem to find the answer, Please help
Dying to move to spain

sioban
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sioban » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:50 pm

you can take a private heath insurance which will cover you in A and E, if you see a doctor on the private insuance you have to pay some of the costs, if you would like more info contact me on 958700171 and ask for Sioban

Regards

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:38 pm

There are organisations that provide emergency treatment, Helicopteros Sanitarios being one of the best known. They will attend you anywhere from Benalmadena to Estepona at home, work, the beach, e.t.c.. They will treat you for any minor or major problem, if they can. However, if you then need hospital treatment, you will need private cover.

There are a score of companies providing private cover. Search on this forum for previous postings.

Good luck.

Alan

PM if you need any further info.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:56 am

Your European health card will cover you for upto 2 years for A+E if you are a visitor to any european country - funny how your just visisting Spain if you need treatment.....

Am I right in thinking that you can pay Class3 NI contributions here in the UK. (because Im not working - early retirement at 54 ) and still be able to renew my health card?

Why would I need Private health insurance ?

lis48
Resident

Postby lis48 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:09 pm

Have a look online at the basic Sanitas plan. The top level covers private treatment in UK as well, while the classic covers visits to the doctors paying a small contribution. The basic plan will probably suit you.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:20 pm

I refer to my original question .....

Why would I need Private Health Insurance.

Companies are very good selling travel insurance (including Medical) for travel in the UK ?????? Why

Since I am now European- whats the (arguable) diference between relocating to the Isle of Wight or to Spain

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:22 pm

Martin Page wrote: Why would I need Private Health Insurance. Since I am now European- whats the (arguable) diference between relocating to the Isle of Wight or to Spain
It all depends on residency.

If you are a UK resident then your UK EHIC will cover you for A&E. You would have to return to the UK for any other treatment. If you wish to have full medical cover in Spain while here as a UK resident then insurance is the only choice.

If you are a resident of Spain then your UK issued E106 will give you full cover for up to 2 years - after that, until 65 you will have no cover although you are unlikely to be turned away from A&E.

As a Spanish resident you are not entitled to a UK EHIC and I think it may be (I'm not sure on this point) that you cannot get a Spanish EHIC without a Spanish medical card.

When you eventually qualify for the full cover under the UK E121 form your future health care is provided by Spain but a large payment is made to them each year by the UK DSS.

In some parts of Spain, particularly in Valencia, it is possible to get full cover before retirement but again this means officially leaving the UK system.

Hopefully one day we will get a similar scheme in Andalucia, or even an EU wide one - but dont hold your breath :D

Sid

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:58 pm

El Cid wrote:
In some parts of Spain, particularly in Valencia, it is possible to get full cover before retirement but again this means officially leaving the UK system.

Sid
This is no longer the case in Valencia.

Indeed many who are resident but under retirement age who were given a SIPS card when the scheme was announced have had them cancelled.

The health system cannot cope.

Mike

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:33 pm

Can't say I am surprised - it's not often you get a free bonus from the Spanish authourities!

Sid

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:01 pm

Hi Sid -

thanks for your informed response - But I think your missing my point............
Perhaps I should use the word - SHOULD - as oposed to WOULD ....

Why SHOULD I need private health insurance ........ ?

The question is more Retorical than answerable !

Im a fully paid up European ...... I shouldnt HAVE to have private health insurance.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:56 pm

We shouldn't need one, but....we do. Ask you MEP why.