Bee-eaters

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Sandramay
Resident

Bee-eaters

Postby Sandramay » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:27 pm

Hi, I'm new to this site but hope someone can help me with some info. I'm a bit of a "twitcher" and I would dearly love to add bee-eaters to my "seen" list. I've been told they do visit the Costa Tropical area. Does anyone know if they return to the same places each year? Thanks in anticipation. :)
Sandramay

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:02 pm

I know of a regular site in La Herradura.

I will PM you details.

Sid

pwwm
Resident

Postby pwwm » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:55 pm

Loads around Albunol and I have a pair behind the house I see in the mornings when I take the dog out.

Alpujarra
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alpujarra » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:35 pm

Lots up here too!

angel
Tourist

Bee-eaters

Postby angel » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:21 pm

Yes they do return every summer and if you go to any dry (obviously!) river bed you shoud be able to see them as they nest by making holes in the sandy river banks. You can also spot them by listening out for the "bubbly" sound that they make when flying overhead in groups.

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:37 pm

Thank you for your replies. I have been looking in their preferred types of habitat, but perhaps I need new specs. :shock: I envy those of you with them in your garden. Here, perhaps the Bonelli eagles overhead make them more evasive. El Cid has kindly forwarded me specific directions to a site only two ks. away so I live in hope. Again, thank you.
Sandramay

Acoustic
Tourist

Postby Acoustic » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:53 pm

We spotted some beauties when we went to Cordoba. They were flying along a valley below where we were standing and their colours really stood out and they were easy to see. Perhaps if you could find a point where you could look down on these places you have found you could see them easily.