Buying a car in Spain

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Zofia
Resident

Buying a car in Spain

Postby Zofia » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:04 pm

Any advice re. buying a car in Spain? We are looking to buy from a Car Rental company, on the basis that it will have probably been well looked after. Would that be a rip-off? What about insurance, is it better to shop around or are they all pretty similar? Is it true that you have to own a property to buy a car?

Anyone have any tips to share?

Thanks.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:16 pm

Friends have bought ex-rental cars and been very pleased with them.
Insurance - yes shop around as quotes will vary widely. You will need a great deal of patience - it's almost impossible to obtain online quotes so it all has to be done by phone.
No, you don't need to "own" property but you need proof of an address here (owned or rented) and a copy of your empadronamiento will usually suffice.

malagaman2005
Resident

buying a car

Postby malagaman2005 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:04 pm

I couldn't buy my vehicles without an N.I.E number, and I did try several dealers but they all came up with the same answer.

Zofia
Resident

Postby Zofia » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:17 pm

Oh dear, I've never had an NIE number, I've always got away with just my passport number. I do have an escritura though.

Thanks for the advice.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:05 pm

you´ll need ur NIE number - i´ve just bought a car through a gestoria and they wanted passport, car docs, NIE, padronamiento...

soegaard
Tourist

I do have an escritura though.

Postby soegaard » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:55 pm

I do have an escritura though.
An escritura in your name? I was of the impression that an NIE-number was essential for that.

Jens-Kristian

Zofia
Resident

Postby Zofia » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:09 pm

Err, yes in my name!

I was told I needed an NIE number to register for council tax (or whatever the equivalent is) but my local ayuntamiento was quite happy to use my passport number.

I am planning to get the NIE number sorted, as we are hoping to move to Spain permanently.

Z

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:10 pm

I bought my car from a car rental company, they are only a few years old when they sell them off. I got the UK and the Spanish second hand prices and I got a really good price for the year, model etc. :lol:

petert74
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby petert74 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:42 am

Does anyone know if any of these hire companies have web site for their ex-fleet car sales.

Im still stuggling to get a good value automatic diesel medium MPV. (scenic Zafira size)

Id have more chance finding Bin Laden!!!

Laslomas
Resident

Postby Laslomas » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:14 pm

Try hellehollis. They provide an e-mail address and telephone number for enquiries. They also have an on-line price list for Car Sales - but state the prices are for VAT registered dealers only. Gives you some idea though. They have quite a good selection of cars available.