coming to live in andalucia

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
joxxsmith
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby joxxsmith » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:23 pm

me too... 8)

even found some small apts in Nerja for 500 Euro in November, just need to research abit more on transport and telephones

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:54 am

MIJAS LADY

sorry, but you lost me with your thread, can you please explain what you mean about "friends from fuengirola"?

why is there always someone on this site who is always willing to rip into people??

i dont live in fuengirola nor have friends there but know its is a buzzing place all year round, half spanish half british, and for a single person there will be loads of people to meet.

please explain your sarcasm

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:14 am

Good luck with your search! I think Nerja is lovely anytime of the year. Frigiliana, Torrox are homes to Brits, Germans etc. ..where ever you go there will always be someone to chat to in English.
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:58 am

Simple really.

If you like and could live in say, Blackpool, Southend etc., then you will love Torre, Fuengirola, Benna...................

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:12 pm

torre and benalmadena yes, fuengirola no, itswhat everyone thinks(incLuding me) until you go there but if you avoid frontline there is a fantastic atmosphere there

mijas-lady
Resident

Postby mijas-lady » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:54 pm

sorry Blondie I was not being sarastic to you :oops: I read your message to mean that at the ladies price range only grotty places so try Fuengirola as thats is what it is like! Just me being stupid hope im forgiven :?:

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:47 pm

youre forgiven :)

Solysombra

Postby Solysombra » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:23 pm

Detourer is right on the button :lol:

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:05 am

You are right, some parts of Fuengirola, Benalmadena and Torremolinos are like "Blackpool in the sun" however you can choose not to go to the English bars where everyone appears to be eating egg and chips and as said earlier if you walk around you can find "real" Spanish bars (cheaper too). Funnily enough, a lot of Spanish people have second homes in all 3 areas. They seem to love it there. :D Perhaps they want to practice their English :?:
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

Moving Soon
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Moving Soon » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:33 am

I can confirm that there are authentically Spanish places to eat in Fuengirola - I've only been there once with a friend of mine who was picking up his mother-in-law who was staying with friends who have lived there for over 20 years (and coincidentally still don't speak more than a few words of Spanish!!!). We stopped at a bar for a drink and I ordered a tapa of what I thought was cubes of liver in a tomato based sauce. After I'd eaten it my friend told me it was actually sangre -yes, cubes of congealed blood. Actually it didn't taste bad.

I would agree with those contributors who recommended East of Malaga as being suitable for the original enquirer's needs - yes Nerja is nice even in the winter but the expat population is very high (and in Frigiliana I read somewhere last week it is now over 30%) and prices tend to be noticeably higher than in other places nearby - even for everyday foodstuffs let alone eating out. Take a look at Torre del Mar or, just 10 mins inland by car (and with the new tram service due to start running this month) Velez-Malaga, the capital of the Axarquia region.

Ursula
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ursula » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:09 pm

I would stay stick to the coast - there are some lovely inland places but if you are worried about being isolated and not meeting anyone your age you would be better off nearer the seaside resorts. There are some communities inland (British) but I am sorry to say that it gets quite bitchy, and it seems some of them have drinking habits that make me feel embarrassed to be English. Spanish people are very friendly and it is quite rare to see a Spanish woman smoking and drinking "like a trouper" though I am not saying none of them smoke.

mark
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mark » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:29 pm

Lizzy,
Could you please expalin where this clean beach is in Fuengirolla? We took our son down there the other week and were totally disgusted with the floating turds, litter and cigarette ends etc.

katie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby katie » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:09 am

Probably going to be shot down in flames now :( but how about Arroyo. Good public transport service (train, buses), close to the coast, mix of Spanish and English. Benalmadena Pueblo and Mijas(yes I know it's touristy but still lovely) close by, and a big fix of English expats when needed. I agree with babby you do not always have to go to English bars , our favourite was a Spanish cafe bar in plaza'espana in Arroyo. We are moving over to Spain next year and will use Arroyo as a base to have a look around and see where we would like to live.

joxxsmith
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby joxxsmith » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:19 pm

I have been given a wealth of info in this thread, thanks very much. I am looking at Torrox as being the first place to look at, I've found several apts within my price range.

I just wonder if a few people could expand on their own experiences,

Why is life better in Andalucia, what do you get from living there that you didn't get in the UK.

What percentage of ex-pats work? What sort of jobs do they do?

as a single person how would I start to meet people?

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:07 pm

Joxx, if you search the previous threads over the last 2 years you might find plenty of viewpoints on those topics, a lot of them mine!
At least you are asking the right questions, and you seem to have a plan in preparation.
The work situation in Andalucia will be an eye opener for you. :o

katie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby katie » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:08 am

We have a plan and are trying to find out everything we can but thats what I am worried about Kevin, the work situation :(

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:56 pm

If you have to work and bring up kids and have no savings to fall back on Andalucia can be a tough place, more so if you dont speak the language.
Jobs are scarce, and competition is fierce.
What line of work are you looking for Katie? You might say, i'll do anything to start with but there are plenty of Morroccans, Africans and South Americans who will work for €2/3 hour. The next rung on the ladder is seasonal bar work - spend the summer in a red hot kitchen making fry ups for €5/ hour. :(
SpanishLad will tell you what the employment situation is like.
Many of our forum members will say I am being negative, but they are mostly retired with mortage paid and a regular UK pension, so their situation is a lot different to yours.
In your position, I would be working all I could in the UK now (it is a lot easier to work in the UK than Spain) and saving up enough cash to give you a few months cushion. Dont burn your bridges either, just in case you want to or have to go back.

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:40 pm

Kevin is right..........

You will almost certainly have to work within the Brit community, for the Brit community. Jobs in the Spanish sector are not easy to come-by and you will be way down the pecking-order, after family, friends, Spanish etc. And if you can't speak the lingo !!!

The retired, pensioned, rose colored glasses types will tell you otherwise. But just ask around in the "Real-Andalusian-World".

But don't get me wrong......I love it. Re-started sold-off UK business, but in a much smaller way. 17 year old daughter doing great [fluent Spanish] with well known company.......wife doing.........er, not sure, I will ask!

joxxsmith
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby joxxsmith » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:54 pm

Ok from what i can gather if you come to Andalucia under retirement age, it will be very difficult to find work, and if you do it will be low paid...

so just how many Brits are there under retirement age? maybe this can be expressed as a percentage?

as far as work is concerned I would continue to run my own UK business, but I am trying to determine the type of lifestyle I could build for myself.

I have read other threads, its seems there is always the language issue underlying everything, thus simple tasks can become mountains to overcome, like getting a tap repaired, or a car serviced.

It is very interesting to be able to discuss these issues before taking the step to relocate.

I'd still like to hear of a few sucess stories through, the pros of life in Andlucia, I'm getting a good idea of the cons

samizdat
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby samizdat » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:40 pm

I have read other threads, its seems there is always the language issue underlying everything, thus simple tasks can become mountains to overcome, like getting a tap repaired, or a car serviced.
could that be because you are in SPAIN, and therefore need to have adequate Spanish??? If you come here without spanish you are condemned to exist in the English speaking townships on the coast. Be they Fuengenrola or Marbella depending on your budget :lol:

if you are self-employed getting realistic income from the UK it's fine - your'e quids in - As Kevin and others points out here on this board it's hard to find ANYONE who earned a decent income and comparable status - to theirs in the UK. .