coming to live in andalucia

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
joxxsmith
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby joxxsmith » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:07 pm

Actually I do speak Spanish....the point I was raising was that despite this, there is still a learning curve, you have to learn how to get things done, and there will be frustrations along the way which can be manifested by the nuances in language and culture. And sometimes by the perception that because you are not a spanish native you will get the wool pulled over your eyes.

I read a post somewhere else here, where someone was trying to buy the correct finishing powder for a plaster wall. This is a diffcult task for a DIY er in the Uk, but even tougher in Spain when you can't find the exact translation either in a dictionary or in your current level of spanish

Solysombra

Postby Solysombra » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:24 pm

Joxxsmith, everyone contributing o this thread has made sensible comments, the location you choose will be ultimately up to you, personally I am buying 3km inland but close enough to all major amentities, the most important points however were made by Detourer, Kevin and Samizdat, if you have a good command of Spanish, your passage will be smoother insofar as you will be able to handle day to day situations such as dealing with the bank, Ayutamiento, tradesmen etc, however as someone has already pointed out you may find it difficult to get yourself into the mainstream employment market, there are very few foreigners here who have solid employment with Spanish companies, this has no bearing on your linguistic abilities, Spanish companies are very reluctant to give jobs to foreigners, I don't know why but it is a fact, you would be wise to consider self employment which can be very rewarding if you are in the right sector, good luck with your venture and keep us informed of your progress :)

joxxsmith
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby joxxsmith » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:02 pm

Yep I agree I have been given some very good suggestions as to location, I've now narrowed down my short list and will be coming over on some short term trips to find out more.

I have also said I have my own business that I can run remotely, thus I will not be looking for work as I am already self employed. Thus my location choice has to be taken in conjunction with being able to get good interner access (preferably broadband so I can use Skype or similar for phone calls)

I am asking questions as I am trying to get a better feel for what other people do, I am trying to find out how many other people there will be who are of similar age, ie not yet retired, and what they do. thus I can get a better idea of lifestyle.

The more info I can get the better.

I am also very aware that in a forum I am mainly getting opinion based on experience and it is up to me to determine opinion from fact, or even whose opinion I value. I have not dismissed anything thing said in this thread so far, every contribution is gratefully accepted. Some contributions help me to explore an idea further, some just remind me of why I should dismiss something.

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:15 am

From experience, I can say that the Spanish are very honest and do a good days work for little money. In comparison to some (not all) British "builders" who WILL pull the wool over your eyes and take you for every penny. Brits think they can charge as much here as they did in the UK (or more!!) and they will take advantage of "green" newcomers to Spain who don´t know where to go or what to do. I don´t want to paint everyone with the same brush but as I say, I am speaking from what I have heard - real experiences.
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

Moving Soon
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Moving Soon » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:58 am

In an atempt to address some of your questions, joxxsmith, I know of a number of people below retirement age based either in Torrox Pueblo or Torrox Costa (only know of them, not know them personally) who are self employed mainly in providing services to English speaking people - several who run restaurants or bars, a hairdresser, a couple of estate agents. The bilingual secretary at my Spanish lawyers based in Nerja is English and lives in Frigiliana, and at least two of the partners there are English also.

A couple who are neighbours of mine in Velez started a shop in Torre del Mar selling British food products which has done very well (they have now sold it on) and another couple have set up a shop selling high quality artificial plants in Torre del Mar.

In Nerja and Frigiliana the expat population is pretty high (over 25% in Nerja and now over 30% in Frigiliana - not all of them are English of course, and Torrx Costa has a high number of German expats in particular), the proportion of foreign residents in Torre del Mar and Velez is much lower. I have no idea how many of those are of working age, however.

In Velez where there are hardly any English owned businesses (only one bar and one hairdressing salon that I know of, and it's a big town) a lot of British expats congregate at the same bar every Friday night. Some are retired and some not, I have quickly counted up at least 12 who are at least 10 years below retirement age, not counting me! It's not really my scene but it's one way of meeting people if you move to a completely new area on your own. The expat population in general seems pretty friendly and it is easy to strike up conversations in bars and restaurants. There are also a couple of very good gyms in Torre del Mar (Club Sensei and Centro Deportivo La Vega) where you would be likely to meet British people, I'm not sure there are any closer to Torrox. All the local free magazines that you can pick up at the Tourist Information Offices carry adverts for social events, especially in Nerja. I've seen a kind of find a friend service advertised in the Nerja area which claims not to be a dating service, but who knows?

I'm sure if you make a series of trips to your shortlisted areas you will be able to get a feel for where you would be happiest. Good luck!

lis48
Resident

Postby lis48 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:13 pm

Have you ruled out everywhere on the Costa de la Luz? The best decision we ever made was to come to El Puerto de Santa Maria where broadband and skype are readily available. A town of 60,000 people, on the Atlantic coast, with a lot of culture and history and a thriving though small expat community. I'd recommend it for a single person especially. Admittedly a couple of hours from Malaga but Jerez airport is only 20 mins away if you can cope with Stansted and Ryan Air. You won't find the building horrors of the cds and the climate's much more temperate so you don't get the hot and cold extremes of inland or the wind of the coast further south.

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:05 pm

Seems to me Joxx you 'ain't got a problem :lol:

A business that you can run from Spain, without the need for premises. You speak the lingo. You have freedom of choice as to where you locate [all you need is internet cover]. And you are single......nobody to worry about other than yourself :wink:

So, you are and will be better off than around 99% of the relocated Brits in Spain.

Given the advantages you have the lifestyle you carve out, if and when you move here, are largely down to you personally.

Great site this but remember that the active members on here represent an insignificant number and are hardly representative..........

Just catch a flight and bring you lap-top!

Suzy

coming to live in fuengirola

Postby Suzy » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:06 pm

Hi Everyone,
My sister, myself and her two sons aged 12 and 15 are wishing to live in fuengirola. Can anyone give us advice on living in fuengirola, schools, work etc.

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:00 pm

I'm just back home in Ireland, with rain falling on the window outside the office, making me really, really depressed. It's first day back in work after 2 weeks in Torre del Mar. I vote you go East! TDM is great, there is an internet cafe on Avd Infante, and internet available in the lobby of hotel Proamar (a bit more exensive).
Accomodation prices are still low, compared to West of Malaga, but getting higher each visit. You should be able to rent something reasonable for your budget, during the winter months.
There are plenty of restaurants and still, every time the bill is brought along, you look at it and say 'There must be a mistake, how can it be so low?'
Transport is easy from Malaga bus station. At least one bus every hour and the fare is ......€2.03 (yes I know thats a single fare, but value!!). It only takes 45 minutes from the bus station, and you get a nice feel for the area as you travel.
Go East young woman!
Colin

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:58 am

Colinm said
I'm just back home in Ireland, with rain falling on the window outside the office, making me really, really depressed.
If the rain was falling on the window here I would be jumping with joy!! :)
Believe me after months and months of hot weather it too can make you really depressed, well maybe not depressed but certainly ready for some rain! :roll:

katie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby katie » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:09 am

Best wishes and I hope you make the move Joxx :D, and many thanks to Kevin,detourer and others who have posted. We are learning spanish and have savings to fall back on but it is the job situation that makes me the 1% not sure about moving :?

joxxsmith
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby joxxsmith » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:36 am

Yes, I am lucky :lol:

But I have had this move at the back of my mind for many years now... I set my business up 10years ago with the dream that i would be able to work where ever I wanted. And yes the www and my business have moved on to allow me now to contemplate actually living the dream.

i'll post back with progress as I make it... thanks again for the wealth of info

joxxsmith
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby joxxsmith » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:03 am

Just in case any one is interested, I spend a few weeks in Nerja in November and absolutely loved it.

I visited most of the towns nearby too in torrox, frigillliana, torre, amenucar, but Nerja was my fave. Probably because i felt it had a better setting (not to many concrete tower blocks).

I stayed out at Punta Lara which in itself is a good enough place, but I felt it was too far out of the town and abit too expat. I think I shall be back in april or so and hopefully to stay in the the torrecilla area.