Roof tiles

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
toddcl
Resident

Roof tiles

Postby toddcl » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:21 am

Our roof tiles have plants growing in the gullies and a few have either cracked or slipped.

Generally the roof wants cleaning and re-laying. [Some TLC]

Has anyone had such work done on their property?

What can I expect to pay?
Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated into the collective

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:45 am

Today's safety regulations will push the price up..scafolding..unless you are some place no one can see.. and you can find an odd job man to go up a ladder :roll:
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

roof

Postby pilgrim » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:03 pm

You might need a licence of some sort too. We have been told that we need a full projecto(not correct spelling/that just sounds like what the builder said :oops: ) though I think you can get a licence to reform up to 50% of your roof, my question would be if I reformed 50% this year could I reform the other50% next year?? My neighbour has written down some questions for me to take to town hall architect, he said if you ask the right questions, have all 'papels' they may help you with the cost as they want the village to look pretty..... Good Luck

melandsharon

Postby melandsharon » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:47 pm

We have just had ours all done, and you do need a license and a plan, they remove the tiles relay the concrete and re-tile the roof it cost us approx 140E per square meter, and the roof is fantastic, these were professionals not cowboys.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Re: Roof tiles

Postby hillybilly » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:21 pm

toddcl wrote:Our roof tiles have plants growing in the gullies and a few have either cracked or slipped. Generally the roof wants cleaning and re-laying. What can I expect to pay?
The "roof man" here charges about €100 to clean a roof on a typical town house. All done with ladders and sky hooks of course!
pilgrim wrote:I think you can get a licence to reform up to 50% of your roof, my question would be if I reformed 50% this year could I reform the other50% next year??
A minor works licence allows you to replace up to 50% of your roof tiles, but nothing structural. So, that's a cunning plan you have there! Give it a go!
melandsharon wrote:We have just had ours all done, and you do need a license and a plan, they remove the tiles relay the concrete and re-tile the roof it cost us approx 140E per square meter, and the roof is fantastic, these were professionals not cowboys.
I hope you got a complete brand spanking new roof (beams, ceilings, insulation etc) for that price! Roof tiles cost €5 - €8 per sq metre.

toddcl
Resident

Postby toddcl » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:59 pm

Thanks hillybilly

It looks like I'm off down the olive growers bar at 6.30 in the morning for a few Annis & coffee to find the man who knows the roof-man.

The ladders and sky hooks sounds good to me and if he's local roof-man he will know how to do it without license's etc.

melandsharon

Postby melandsharon » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:56 pm

Yes we did, but it wasn't, isn't a normal roof not a new type, it is replaced as it was a few hundred years back.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:11 am

Roof tiles cost €5 - €8 per sq
The old hand made tiles cost a lot more than that.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:17 am

Not from our local reclamation yard they don't!

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:27 am

So must be cheaper in Sevilla than Malaga then. :) interesting.

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

roof tiles

Postby pilgrim » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:26 pm

certainly are - 30 cents each but our local supplier will only supply them in small quantities for repairs, not enought for a whole roof, although now he has discovered we live next to his brother he might come round to letting us have enough for the whole roof!!! At first he told us he did not sell them at all!!!!

toddcl
Resident

Postby toddcl » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:52 pm

I know what you mean pilgrim.

As we have been going back and forward from UK to Spain we have evolved from being invisible to being greeted with kisses and last visit
they hugged us and the old lady Serafina [well that how it's said] who is the boss of the house next door. grabbed my face cheeks and said Familya. I nearly cried.

As time has gone by the whole town has got the sp on us and we are now OK people and as one said 'not same as Costa English'.

We soon worked out that Spain revolves around who says your OK and acceptance and an old guy I've had a few Annis with is big in the Church.
Ive seen him in his K.K.K purple sheet and headdress and he has the biggest medallion, so I'm assuming he's the Grand Wizard.

We are integrating one step at a time and loving the experience.

melandsharon

Postby melandsharon » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:05 pm

Be careful we had license's. but not, for the front of our house that was listed, the plans were in Cadiz at a great expense I may add, a few tiles were removed along with wood that was full of wood worm, the local council guy saw it and stopped the job for a month. So be careful you cant just take things down and not have the right paper work, we could have been in a lot of trouble.
The house across the road from ours owned by Spanish family, was reformed and the Cultural Cadiz found out it wasn't being done properly and it was stopped, no chance of it being restarted and they are now the owners of a ruin that has to be put back and they cant afford to do that, My farther in the UK lives in the middle of no where but he cant just build any thing, the council would make him take it down, or do it for him and send him the bill.

toddcl
Resident

Postby toddcl » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:12 am

Just before I sacked the Spanish builder he was telling me that old roof tiles are much dinero / antiqeior'o [something like that, he meant they cost plenty] Well if they are worth so much, how come the ground behind my casa is littered with them?

melandsharon

Postby melandsharon » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:41 pm

If you want some in real good condition we have about a thousand :roll:

toddcl
Resident

Postby toddcl » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:06 pm

Thanks melandsharon but I'm not sure how far you are from Alcaudete.
I will look it up and let you know.