Guy Fawkes night

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Guy Fawkes night

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:32 pm

Having just spent most of today pruning (drastically) a couple of almond trees in the garden, I was gathering the bits & bats that are too small even for kindling when 'er indoors suddenly said "what about a bonfire party on the 5th?" It is my birthday on the 4th, so fireworks, parkin, baked potatoes and woodsmoke have always played a part in my life!
Does anyone know if/what problems we might run into?
Is it legal, can one get fireworks here, any need for permissions etc?
It would be nice to ask all the neighbours round - invites to have the story in Spanish, but I do not want to get on the wrong side of senorita handcuffs or get the plastic card smouldering through overuse!
All advice and info appreciated.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:52 pm

You will need to ask at your Town Hall.

Currently, in my municipality, you need permission to have a bonfire for burning rubbish and it can only be lit between 8am and 2pm on a weekday and not on a fiesta day so a Sunday evening would probably be a non-starter.

I would guess that the same restrictions probably apply to a recreational bonfire.

Laslomas
Resident

Postby Laslomas » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:21 am

It is most unlikely you will be able to buy fireworks - or get permission to set any off. Last year I was invited to a firework/bonfire party for 5th November, and the fireworks were disallowed as was the bonfire. So the party was centered around a rather large 'barbecue' within a stone surroundimg - (i.e.the bonfire) and the fireworks consisted of sparklers. But a great time was had by one and all!!!

Bandy
Resident

Postby Bandy » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:27 pm

Nice idea P.O.R. but i would advise against as there is still a high risk of starting unwanted fires in the dry countryside. This isn't even to mention the local Ayuntamiento regulations etc. The sparkler idea is a great one and how about getting hold of some of the novelty "indoor" fireworks?
:mrgreen:
is the sun over the yardarm yet ?

TonyAngel

Postby TonyAngel » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:19 pm

I have had a bonfire and fireworks for Bonfire Night for the past five years. There plenty of places you can get fireworks from though not the small ones you get in the UK. Look on the outskirts of towns for a large fenced off compound with quite a few bunker type buildings fairly spaced out.

I invite the local farmers and families and they love it. I normally get lots of the cheap bang rockets as the men like to aim that at an old car on a nearby hill.

You can get permission for a fire from the Spanish version of the Forrestry Commission, as for fireworks don't ask - just buy.

Ricasso
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Guy Fawkes night

Postby Ricasso » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:52 am

Where do you live TonyAngel?
Ricasso,
Axarquía

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Guy Fawkes night

Postby gerryh » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:42 am

Somehow I doubt if you will get a reply from TonyAngel.
He posted on Oct15 2006 and hasn't posted since.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris