Cheap Wines in Spain

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:23 pm

Sorry , couldn't resist this!

Mother Superior called all the nuns together and said to them,

"I must tell you all something. We have a case of gonorrhoea in the convent."

"Thank God," said an elderly nun at the back. "I'm so tired of chardonnay."

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:23 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks!
Ah! the full english!!

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:46 pm

Laclotte, how can you never have heard of Freixenet? It is advertised heavily near to Christmas on the TV.

Cava is similar to champagne, manufactured like champagne but cannot be called champagne. A bit like in the UK sherry cannot be called sherry so it is called fortified wine.

I heard that the French actually use Spanish grapes to manufacture some of their champagne.
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:04 pm

Babby wrote:Laclotte, how can you never have heard of Freixenet? It is advertised heavily near to Christmas on the TV.

Cava is similar to champagne, manufactured like champagne but cannot be called champagne. A bit like in the UK sherry cannot be called sherry so it is called fortified wine.

I heard that the French actually use Spanish grapes to manufacture some of their champagne.

I\ve never heard of any sherry being produced in the UK, are you sure about this ?
Ah! the full english!!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:31 pm

Retro P wrote:I\ve never heard of any sherry being produced in the UK, are you sure about this ?
"British Sherry" is made from imported grape juice. You don't see it very often but if you do, it is usually hidden in a brown paper bag and being consumed by the local Wino!

Sid

bilbo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bilbo » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:41 pm

Always found Los Molinos ok and cheap at €1.25-€1.75

Or the 45c Don Simon or similar for Sangria and cooking.

Anyone tried, liked Los Molinos but found better for the price ????

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:52 pm

IMHO the Carrefore box red is by far the best quality in that price range - 45c!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:25 pm

My liver can speak from years of experience:
the strength of German supermarket buying clout together with the undoubtedly good "nose" of the buyer, indicate that Lidl´s wines are some of the best values to be found around here (Navarra red from €1.29/Australian Chardonnay - both colours - at €2.59 -ish/Arestel Cava at €1.59 and all the way up to some quite good Ribera Del Dueros) and that Dia have some decent reds around the €1.75 mark (Baron de Sabas and Tierra Del Sol). All this research was, of course, done with reluctance but with exceptional fervour once started.
nil illegitimum carborundum

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:03 pm

Some friends brought a present for us from UK last week....a bottle of red wine and a bottle of white wine, 'coals to Newcastle' was my first thought..

However they are British Wines produced in Huddersfield, Yorkshire...Splash Winery is the name of the wine producer...Blended with Pennine water the white wine..Elderflower..... was not that brilliant, but there again , I don't drink a lot of white wine, so I may be doing it an injustice....

Now the red wine was very palatable, quite enjoyed it......

I am aware of quite a few wines now being produced in UK, but this was a new one on me, has anyone else tried it?...Or do you know of any other good wines from UK?....Don't think they will overtake Spanish and French wines though ! ! :wink:

daisylou
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby daisylou » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:49 pm

I come from Devon in the westcountry and close to me they produce Sharpham wine, the white wine is pretty good but a bit costly for me :D
It's used in alot of the more upmarket restaurants and bars in the area.

www.sharpham.com/wines

spanishgypsy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Cava....

Postby spanishgypsy » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:28 pm

.....the Cordenieu gold label RESERVA cava has just been reviewed and highly recommended on a UK food programme. Tescos are selling it in the UK now at 4.99 a bottle.....half price. Apparently it is right up there with the best champagnes so I'll be off looking for a few bottles manana! Nothing like a little ice cold bubbly to lift the spirits! :shock:

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:28 pm

Just had a bottle this afternoon - nice and smooth. Delicious!

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:52 pm

I'm pleased that people are finally becoming aware that Spanish wines are as good as and often better than french wines, for too long now the french have had a monopoly on so called quality wines, due to their marketing methods, I would also recommend many Chilean, Australian and Californian wines, If you can get it (not much is exported) and don't mind paying a bit more then you should also try some of the more upmarket Turkish wines!
Ah! the full english!!

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:27 pm

Retro P
You're preaching to the converted. I've rated Spanish wines for more years than I can remember. The problem is, that more people in the UK are rating them too.

Of course, the producers have started to help themselves; not many years ago wines from Toto were only considered suitable for blending with others, now some are really tasty and rival (in quality) Riojas and Navarras.

Some of the lesser know districts (I think in Spain and the UK) are along the Med coast beyond Penedes and into Catalunya on the Costa Brava. We used to holiday quite frequently in Sant Feliu de Guixols on the coast not far from the French border and Gerona. Some great wine shops and some great wine.

Unfortunately the terrorists are cramping my style, or at least my dwindling wine supplies in the UK. They've stopped the safe transport of wines bought before getting to the airport, so finding and taking that unusual bottle or bottles back to the UK is a thing of the past.

Must drive next year..........

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:21 am

On a slightly humorous note, I remember doing a day trip, years ago from Whitehaven to Dieppe, on the return journey we met a couple we knew from Brighton who were bragging to us about the amount of wine they were intending to smuggle through, they had two screaming kids, horrible creatures, and a **** load of produce, when the customs officer asked to inspect their load the guy got so flustered he started throwing things out of the car inadvertantly pulling a piece of rope which was wrapped around a huge flagon of (at least fifty litres) of red wine which smashed on the gound, the customs still made them pay for it as it was considered imported, sad but very funny at the time :)
Ah! the full english!!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:50 am

In the two years before moving out here, and following redundancy from my "proper job" I worked for HMRC (then HM C&E) as a lowly Band2. In the smoke room one day a senior officer had just come back from holiday and regaled us with the story of her neighbour on the plane, who asked her chattily 'what do you do?' then without waiting for a reply told her all about how many trips she made each year and how much baccy and booze she brought back to sell. Despite the officer's protests that she should not be telling her this, and could get into trouble, the smuggler just laughed and said 'go on, you're not Customs, are you?!'. On being told that indeed she was, the stupid woman refused to believe her and carried on giving details of where she would sell them and when her next trip was! The Customs lady had insisted that she should not say more, as she (the officer) was on holiday, and wanted a break. The officer said nothing as they passed through the airport, avoiding the smuggler as they cleared baggage etc, but made sure that the name, and the date of the next trip, was well flagged up on the computer system that keeps track of all your movements.
The moral? Customs officers, like police, look just like everyone else, so take care who you say what to if you are up to mischief! 8)
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:42 pm

The Cordinieu 'winery' is just outside Barcelona. You can do a tour and tasting. I've been a couple of times, its quite interesting.

nevada smith

Postby nevada smith » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:51 pm

"codorniu"
if someone is going to try to look it up or
buy it...

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:08 pm

Cordoniu actually :wink:
Ah! the full english!!

pentaqua-new
Resident

Cheap Wines in Spain

Postby pentaqua-new » Sun May 06, 2007 8:42 am

Looking for dry whites in supermarkets. Any recommendations?