Cheap Wines in Spain

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:15 pm

Katy......A great and novel idea using a melon as a serving bowl for your Sangria.........Perfect party piece, and what a way to turn such a mundane drink , as Sangria into something special..

.I once had a Tropical Punch served in a half a coconut, whilst at a beachparty in Trinidad....I wonder what other novel ways of serving drinks there are? :wink:

Karipentti
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Karipentti » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:00 pm

I had kava served from a half coconut in a native village in Tonga some 20 years ago. We sat on the floor of a thatch hut and there was a large wooden bowl in the center of the ring. A lady was serving us men (only!) - she scooped a half-shellful of this mildly intoxicating drink and passed it on. The "cup" was promptly emptied and the drinker tossed the cocoshell to the center again for a refill.

There were about 20 of us - my friend and I the only whites. All this happened in total silence. After ten cups or so everybody started to feel the effects of the drink and the village chief finally cleared his throat and said: "Elvis Presley is king of rock'n roll - yes?"

Huh!
Things could be worse...

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:59 pm

And now I feel really guilty, over 10000 views on my cheap wines posting, and now in another posting I'm promoting abstinence!
Perhaps I should change the title to CHEAP NON-ALCOHOLIC WINES IN SPAIN...
Seriously what non-alcoholic drinks can any members recommend.. :?:
There has been some already mentioned on the other thread, but surely there must be more......?

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:43 pm

Just still water really cold but no ice. I can't see the point in anything else and I have become quite obsessional about the damage that drink does to teeth and now insist the family (husband aside) drink through straws!
anyway, anyway, love from me.

conceptqueen
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby conceptqueen » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:00 am

This topic has been really interesting,and i've been watching it from the beginning, but what i would like to know ,is what do the local spanish people drink? Do they actually drink that much wine, when i'm in a spanish bar, i've noticed that they seem to drink more beer than any other drink.
Also i wonder if it is acceptable for a female to go alone into a spanish bar, in uk nobody seems to bat an eyelid, at a lonely female stood at the bar ordering a drink..I get the feeling that it is frowned at in Spain, has anyone experienced any problems like this?

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:48 pm

A non-alcoholic drink I make a lot is called, I think, Mud Sling, It looks revolting but is very refreshing.
Just mix fresh orange juice with Diet Coke about 50/50 with lots of ice.
It does look very muddy but I like the taste, a loads of people I have persuaded to try it are quite surprised how good it is.

Think I got the idea from a slimming book, about the only useful thing I read!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:55 pm

If you haven't tried the "Dama de Baza" range of concentrates it may be worth doing so. We particularly like the Kiwi and the Maracula ones - they are strong, so go a long way in water or lemonade.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

DecorDiva
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby DecorDiva » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:12 pm

Love the kiwi one, strange colour but great taste as not sweet I mix mine with water and ice, really refreshing. 8)

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:13 pm

Ohh no....I hear you cry, he's revived the posting on cheap wines......

Well, I thought as it is getting near Christmas, at least it's a seasonal topic, and anyway, now that I've got my Senior Citizens Bus Pass, I'm entitled to reminisce a bit...aren't I ?
So now that I'm back off my ' Excessive Drinking Campaign', I thought that I might as well help Campo Kenny, with his 'Given Up Smoking' campaign, and suggest some wines, and it might help take his mind off thinking about ciggies .. :wink:

So I visited the wine vaults at my favourite Bodega...Lidl..... and selected a few bottles......
A Pyrene Vino Tinto Somontado D.O. Crianza 2003, priced at 3.49 Euros, which is a bit above my usual budget, but I thought I'd lash out ...for a change....I've sampled it and it titillated my taste buds quite nicely...so I can recommend it...
Also a Carinena D.O Tinto Crianza 2002, priced at only 1.79 euros.....Now I really like all of the Carinena wines, and for this good price it was great...I often stayed at a hotel in Carinena, so got to go around some of the Bodegas..very interesting......
So that's my top picks for the moment...Has anyone come across any good wines lately...must be cheap of course.. :oops:

Don't forget...Don't Drink and Drive...!!!!!...I hate funerals.....
Last edited by BENIDORM on Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:09 pm

Ohh no...., he's revived the posting on cheap wines...... :shock: :roll:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:18 pm

Oh Well....I think I'll go and have one for the road..... :(

bob
Resident

Postby bob » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:28 pm

Better than the “Pyrene Vino Tinto Somontado (sic) D.O. Crianza 2003” and “less expensive” at 2.69 is the Mezquiriz Crianza 2003 from Navarra (Tempranillo & Cabernet Sauvignon) also from the cellars of Lidl.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:00 pm

Lidl have, for some time now, been selling an excellent wine from Galicia from the Albarino grape called Salneval for 3.99. This is a good price as comparable wines from this region tend to go for 8-10 euros.

Next week it is on offer at 2.59 which is a steal.

Sid

laclotte
Resident

Postby laclotte » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:25 pm

Okay Sid....we believe you :wink:
- You don't get harmony when everybody sings the same note -

Don

Postby Don » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:48 pm

BENIDORM wrote: ...Has anyone come across any good wines lately...must be cheap of course..
If you like the Merlot, Carrefour last year had a single Merlot from Sant Llach which was gorgeous. This year the single Merlot didnt appear, only the Sant Llach crianza which is 50/50 merlot-tempranillo but still rather good. Osborne also have brought out a new Solaz, again 50/50 merlot-tempranillo colmpared to the normal Solaz of Cab.Sauv-tempranillo. All priced around the €3 ish mark.

JAWG
Resident

Postby JAWG » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:19 am

Keep up the postings, Benidorm.

I won't be there for another month, but will then be looking to sample your recommendations.
John G
Ottawa, ON, Canada

Bandy
Resident

Postby Bandy » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:18 am

I don't suppose any of you living in the vicinity of Ronda have discovered the fantastic wholesale wine and other drinks warehouse in the Poligino :?: :?: It is on the opposite side of the road to Hipersol...................my Xmas pressie to those who were unaware of this place :!: :!: 8) :lol:
is the sun over the yardarm yet ?

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:37 am

Some good suggestions there,for the tintos, and I don't normally drink much white wine , but Sids suggestion of the Salneval sounds worthy of a 'tasting'....

..Jawg, so what do you drink in Canada ?..Can you get a decent selection of Spanish wines there, and if so are they expensive ?.....I thought you only drank beer in Canada... :wink:

Bandy.....Can the public shop in the wholesale warehouse ?

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:12 pm

For those of you intersted in wine and other such luxuries take a look at the new "Vivat Bacchus xmas hamper" the perfect gift for your loved ones!
PS, take this suggestion with a shovelful of salt :lol:
Ah! the full english!!

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:27 am

Sherry.....
Well I don't know much about sherry, never been my favourite tipple, it was the drink that was always offered to be by an old Aunt, usually at Christmas. I will drink anything, but her sherry was a real 'grim' taste bud destroyer, so it has probably put me off for life...
Even when I visited Jerez, I couldn't summon up much enthusiasm for this famous drink..
Now my Wife informs me that she has developed a taste for the finer light sherries, so any advice .....Please.......surely there must be a few forum members who are refined enough to partake of this fine tipple...... :cry: