Cheap Wines in Spain

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:06 pm

To be politically and geographically correct Champagne can only be produced in the original area of it's conception ie, Champagne France, but, before making my own (humble) views public I would be interested to hear comments from others regarding the comparisons between origina French Champagnes and similar sparkling wines from other regions notably Spain!
Any thoughts opinions?
Ah! the full english!!

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:16 pm

Kenny you can get the Albali at Eroski and also a quite drinkable white Rioja.
Grouser

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:24 pm

Cheers !..
.Thanks for all the recommendations, I've made notes and will see what we get on our next 'Big Shop'expedition.

After all the talk about vino, I think I will now have to go and get a nice Gran Reserva from my cellar...MMmm :D :oops:

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:29 pm

Grouser, thanks for the reply, it's actually the Analivia wine that we can't find, we stock up with the Albali white 30 minutes after plane lands :oops:

Just can't find it anywhere yet as I say some bars use it.

Another point...before we bought in Spain we used to enjoy Frexinet Negro brut. After buying it a lot in Spain, the stuff you buy over here just does not taste the same :? ......I think the same with San Miguel beer too...........must just be me but I'm not sure. Anyone else found this?

The Frexinet in the white bottle is a nice drink too.

Kenny

nevada smith

Postby nevada smith » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:37 pm

moving on to cava -
relatively simple for us: codorniu
the pinot noir rose
and the chardonnay non-plus
my wife and i split a benjamin every day at lunch
(i should point out that we only drink wine with meals... )

yes, retro,
only champagne
grown & bottled in the champagne region of france
may be called champagne -
(brought to you by the treaty of versailles)
much the same as with cognac
(although cheaper and perhaps better is armagnac)

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:41 pm

I'd go for the armagnac too or a ten year old malt, but every time I do it slips down so smoothly I live to regret every drop the next day.
Grouser

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:42 pm

If ever I need to use Champagne (not often) I prefer the Freixenet Cordon negro, in my opinion an equal to many champagnes although the wine snobs (if there are any here) will probably be howling at my remarks, ce la vie!
Ah! the full english!!

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:45 pm

Kenny, if you goooooogle Analivia you get to the vineyard details, which seems to be the same vineyard as the Albali!

Might be worth an email or call to ask for local suppliers?

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:46 pm

Cheers Col

laclotte
Resident

Postby laclotte » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:40 pm

Champagne, as we know it, is just a sparkling (and can be very expensive) white wine from the Champagne region.
The first sparkling white wines actually came from the South East of France - a place called Limoux. This area has produced wines much more superior to 'Champagne' for decades. Actually the Champagne area just copies the idea from Limoux!! Yes...I agree ... they had much better marketing skills!
I ever you get the chance....buy a bottle of 'Blanquette de Limoux'..... sit back and savour it........ delicious!
All this talk of wine has suddenly created a dreadful thirst! Pröschtli (Cheers!)
- You don't get harmony when everybody sings the same note -

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:57 pm

nevada smith wrote:moving on to cava -
relatively simple for us: codorniu
the pinot noir rose
and the chardonnay non-plus
my wife and i split a benjamin every day at lunch
(i should point out that we only drink wine with meals... )

yes, retro,
only champagne
grown & bottled in the champagne region of france
may be called champagne -
(brought to you by the treaty of versailles)
much the same as with cognac
(although cheaper and perhaps better is armagnac)
Nevada, don't evade the question (not a wine snob are you)
I want to know the views of others when comparing the various sparkling wines of other regions against champagne, ie, do you think Freixenet is cack as opposed to champagne, don't bother intruducing any italian stuff as the world knows it's all duff, come on then Freixenet rubbish or what?
Ah! the full english!!

laclotte
Resident

Postby laclotte » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:07 pm

........."Freixenet rubbish or what?"

I AM a wine snob (among other things!) ....and happy to admit it...when you have your own vineyards you are expected to be!

With a name like 'Freixenet'???? (sounds like a drain cleaner to me).......I never heard of it.......I rest my case.
- You don't get harmony when everybody sings the same note -

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:27 pm

Well I am not a 'wine snob', and although I've been known to drink wine which was probably better sprinkled on fish and chips, I do have some preferences....I actually do prefer Cava to Champagne, and yes you are probably thinking , 'he only likes it because it's cheap', and yes you are probably correct !

As for the sparkling wines from the South East of France, I have tried some and yes they are quite delightful., and if I remember correctly quite reasonably priced,..
And Freixenet as a toilet cleaner, what a waste that would be...Coca Cola is a much more efficient toilet cleaner...true...try it...

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:53 pm

Colinm wrote:Kenny, if you goooooogle Analivia you get to the vineyard details, which seems to be the same vineyard as the Albali!
Google is almost right - they are not from the same area but they both are made by the same company – Felix Solis.

The Albali comes from the Penedes region and uses the Macabeo or Airen grape – it will say which on the bottle.

Analivia come from the Rueda wine region where they make some of the best white wines in Spain. It uses the local Verdejo grape. The Sauvignon Blanc wines from Rueda are often equal to anything the French can produce.

Sid

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:01 pm

Laclotte (does that translate as the clot) my french is not good, The term wine snob in general use is meant to be a put down, in your case "when you own your own vineyards your'e meant to be"

No oenologist (forgive my spelling) can know everything about wine, it's not possible there are just too many of them out there, ergo you cannot call yourself a wine snob, as for your remaks concerning your ownership of "vineyards" in the plural it suggests you are someone of business acumen and financial substance, why then are you bothering to post on a general forum, to suggest that you are knowledgeable about wines and not be aware of Freixenet, which for your information is one of the oldest and most respected vineyards in Spain would be nothing short of ignorance.

I don't wish to argue with you or become involved in a slanging match I was simply entering a debate about various winegrowing regions throughout the world.

If you are one of those who bekieves that only in France can good wines be grown then your social education lacks completion.
My friend is a part owner of a vineyard in France he bought his shares on the internet for 500 euros, he too is a vineyard "owner"
Ah! the full english!!

nevada smith

Postby nevada smith » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:55 pm

retro,
i was responding to beni’s posting
my response just appeared below & after yours
you know me, i don’t skirt any issue...
i think that ‘champagne’ is overrated and overpriced
(but i won’t turn down the glass of taittinger or clicquot)
best friends,
xesc (1 star cook) and wife barbara only offer freixenet (black)
or one of their many wine ‘finds’ when we arrive -
we both start with the freixenet...

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:07 pm

Not a great fan of any fizzy wines myself, too much like pop. I believe the French used to use Chamapagne as a soda substitute with brandy before the English came along and created the 'Shampoo' culture and that would still seem to me, to be the most sensible use for it.
Grouser

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:19 pm

nevada smith wrote:retro,
i was responding to beni’s posting
my response just appeared below & after yours
you know me, i don’t skirt any issue...
i think that ‘champagne’ is overrated and overpriced
(but i won’t turn down the glass of taittinger or clicquot)
best friends,
xesc (1 star cook) and wife barbara only offer freixenet (black)
or one of their many wine ‘finds’ when we arrive -
we both start with the freixenet...
I know for sure that you don't skirt any issues Nevada, and good for you for having the bottle [Sic] to use the good stuff, long live Spanish wines, as opposed to French (with vines imported from the USA) :lol:
Ah! the full english!!

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:23 pm

Incidentally in case you missed it one of the pioneers of Californian wines, died a couple of days ago, one of the Gallo brothers, think it was Julio, I got through a **** of their stuff when it was cheap in the seventies, bless em!
Ah! the full english!!

nevada smith

Postby nevada smith » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:29 pm

ernesto, at... 97... ?