Cheap Wines in Spain

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun May 06, 2007 2:57 pm

Barbadillo, Raimat chardonnay. Not keen on white rioja, if you want something better would go with French.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Cheap Wines in Spain

Postby El Cid » Sun May 06, 2007 4:01 pm

pentaqua-new wrote:Looking for dry whites in supermarkets. Any recommendations?
What's your price range?

Sid

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Sun May 06, 2007 4:06 pm

To be totally honest I don't think you can beat Albali for VFM.
At aprox 2.50E a pop at Eroski it's nice sharp and does what it says on the bottle.
OK a nice £12 French Chablis would be preferable on a special occasion but for stocking up with and no embarrassment handing it out it's Albali for me all the time (or Analivia)

Kenny

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun May 06, 2007 5:26 pm

Both the wines I mentioned are under 10 euros infact the Barbadillo is only about 3.50, the Raimat about 8 euros.

Karipentti
Andalucia.com Amigo

Cheap Spanish whites

Postby Karipentti » Thu May 10, 2007 4:05 am

My favourite white wines are grown in Alsace and I consider most Spanish whites to be rather uninteresting. You can find some good ones in Galicia, where they grow the Albarinho grape variety very close to the Portuguese border. These wines are not cheap, though.

At these simple and so deligfhtful fish restaurants on the Costa de Sol I usually opt for the Monopol (Rioja). If they don't have it I'll just settle for the Barbadillo.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Cheap Spanish whites

Postby El Cid » Thu May 10, 2007 7:07 am

Karipentti wrote: You can find some good ones in Galicia, where they grow the Albarinho grape variety very close to the Portuguese border. These wines are not cheap, though..
Yes, great wine and quite unlike any of the other white Spanish wines.

They are usually 8 -10 Euros but Lidl have a good one for 3.99

Sid

den1
Tourist

Postby den1 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:07 pm

Does anyone know of any wine tasting events in the area?. We are staying 30 minutes from Granada (Los bermejales) then on to the Malaga Province (Periana).

Cheers :?

Karipentti
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Cheap Spanish whites

Postby Karipentti » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:41 pm

El Cid wrote:
They are usually 8 -10 Euros but Lidl have a good one for 3.99

Sid
Found a fairly good one in Mercadona @3,60 - "Pazo da Marteleira" made by adegas Conde de Albarei. Definitely worth a try.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:03 am

I'm back in the UK for awhile, so have had to seek out some sources of 'cheap wines', in fact I'll change that to inexpensive wines, don't want to sound like a 'wino'..
Well I've been pleasantly surprised that there is a really good selection of reasonably priced wines available, I've been back to my favourite sources.ie Lidl, Aldi, Tesco, and some smaller suppliers....And yes, they are more expensive, but not that much, so I drink a little less, still spend the same amount of money, and have lost weight.! !
Also my OH and I have visited some really great country pubs, and found that drinking out here seems to be less than I remembered it to be, however we miss our 'free' tapas..! !
Anyway we will be back in Spain shortly , for a break, then off to Germany, hopefully to test some more wines....... :D

nevada smith

Postby nevada smith » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:53 am

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:01 pm

Nevada,
Thanks for that , looks like a good source of info.....

JAWG
Resident

Postby JAWG » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:14 am

Lets keep adding to this so that it stays near the top.
John G
Ottawa, ON, Canada

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:02 am

Jawg......What a great idea....... :wink:

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:30 am

We drink very little red wine during the summer months, and usually a nice cold beer goes down really well....However we still drink a lot of our old favourite...Sangria.....often looked at by some as a tourist drink..

We stick to our old tried and tested recipe..
To make approx. 2 litres..

2 x pared lemon rind strips
juice of 2 lemons
juice of 4 oranges
30 ml ...approx. 2 tablespoons of caster sugar
1 litre red wine ..chilled, we just use a cheap brand
750 ml soda water, chilled
ice cubes

Put the lemon rind, fruit juice and sugar in a large jug and chill
To serve , pour the wine , soda water and ice cubes into the jug.
Stir, then pour into tall glasses.

We also sometimes add some slices of fruit, whatever happens to be in the fridge.

I'm sure other members have their own favourite recipes, and of course if you want a ready made Sangria, all of the supermarkets sell them....
Enjoy..... :)

Karipentti
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Karipentti » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:47 pm

Your sangria looks real good and not something that will knock your socks off after two glasses.

You often see brandy added to sangria. I don't think there is any contribution to the taste - it's merely to douse you...
Things could be worse...

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:06 pm

Karipentti wrote: You often see brandy added to sangria.
Yes, a spirit, usually brandy or sometimes Triple Sec, is part of the traditional recipe - it depends how potent you want it!

Unfortunately many "tourist" places sell Sangria at inflated prices where it is nothing more or less than a "Tinto de Verano" with a bit of fruit in it.

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:31 pm

Many Spanish people add cinnamon to it which I quite like. Suppose it is the same as Gazpacho there are hundreds of recipes. Benidorm's is a good one as its not too potent. Some Brits make the mistake of adding too much Vodka, brandy etc. I don't want to have a couple of glasses and get blown out of my mind.

Once left my husband to make it for a party and (as I found out later) he was adding to it all day (made it in a large umbrella stand!). Tasted like weak tinto de verano but everyone was sloshed, even people who hardly drink.

Another good way to do it is to take the top of a very large water melon, carve out the inside, put a bit back with other fruit and top-up with the usual sangria ingredients, looks good too :)

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:41 pm

I like the idea of "sangria in a sandia" katy - must give that a go! Hic!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

laclotte
Resident

Postby laclotte » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:15 pm

katy wrote:Another good way to do it is to take the top of a very large water melon, carve out the inside, put a bit back with other fruit and top-up with the usual sangria ingredients, looks good too :)
I don't drink Sangria however I use the 'Water Melon' for a fresh fruit salad. I zig-zag as I cut the melon in half and these 2 halves are the dishes for my fresh fruit salad.........along with the Melon that has been carved out. Look great and is refreshing and delicious.
Almost as nice as eating a curry using a banana leaf as a plate!
- You don't get harmony when everybody sings the same note -

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:29 pm

The fruit salad with the zig zag is the idea I got for the sangria...and I picked this up in ....Geneva. How's that :)