Cheap Wines in Spain

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Cheap Wines in Spain

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:33 pm

Well of course most wines in Spain are much cheaper than UK, and we have tried 100's of different varieties and prices , over the years..Some of the really cheap wines are fine when mixed with Casera etc, and we have found some good wines at around 1 euro a bottle which have been really good..The other day a Spanish friend told me about a wine on offer in the Dia supermarket....Castillo de Velasco, so we tried it yesterday and it was good, not the best we've tried but fine...the price 49 cents ! !...I'm going back for some more, before they sell out.. :wink:

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:44 pm

You would think the bottle, cork, and label would cost 49 cents.We have tried some from mercadona at 95 cents and were very nice ideal if your just going to make a jug of sangria or something.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

laclotte
Resident

Postby laclotte » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:03 pm

EUR 0.49 per bottle!!! Benny, you do surprise me every time......as a worldly guy .....you surely don't fall for this trick!!! I'm sure you wife just loves this wine ....under the given circumstances perhaps I would also!!........NO Benny....not tonight.....I have ANOTHER headache!!!
Maybe worth trying a little more 'upmarket' bottle? No headaches and perhaps more enjoyment...wine of course I mean!
- You don't get harmony when everybody sings the same note -

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:14 pm

No Headaches in this household I can assure you, but thanks for your concern....
....We do have a good stock of wine purchased from all over Europe, and we have paid quite high prices , but I'm not always impressed with them. For instance, not so long ago we bought some German Red wine in Berlin, 30 euros a bottle, thought it would be really special, but it wasn't, however we did get some excellent White wines at the same place for about 5 euros...What wine can you recommend ?...any price.... :wink:

laclotte
Resident

Postby laclotte » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:42 pm

I have travel led a lot but never came across vineyards in the Berlin area!!! I would never spent EUR 30m on a bottle without having recommendations and tasted bottles of certain years. Wine, being a natural product, can and does change in taste considerably from year to year. We have had some really great years (2002 for example) and we have also had years where we have only produced dreadful wine. My only hint to a wine buyer would be taste and buy on that taste - never just go by a 'label'....every year will be quite different. If you can still find a french 2002 table wine it should be good. 2006 looks to be pro missing - just in the bottle - but still to early to tell.

nevada smith

Postby nevada smith » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:53 pm

germany is renowned for its white wines -
red wines have always been hard to produce and
although germany has made a temporary detour into red production
i look for my reds elsewhere...

as far as any wines to recommend -
i wouldn’t be looking for them under the current title...

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:20 pm

LACLOTTE ,
Thank you for your informed reply, the German red wine we bought was from a trial vineyard , not anywhere near Berlin, but I can't recall the region...The wine merchant did explain about the reasons Germany doesn't produce red wine, and after tasting it, I can understand why..We were at a wine tasting, but by the time I got round to tasting the red wine, I think my 'taste buds' were affected, anyway back home it didn't taste so good...
Although we don't drink much white wine, we do like some of the better German whites, and the white wine produced in Galicia,...... France and Spain definitely for red wine though....
:)

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:23 pm

NEVADA,
Yes , you have confirmed what I was told,.... do you like any of the New World wines, I notice them on sale here in Spain , which surprised me. :wink:

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:01 pm

Have you noticed the way some wines don't 'travel' too well. Several times I have had a nice wine somewhere, bought some bottles to bring back home, and it really tastes completely different.

Last October I brought back 12 bottles of Barberilla (?) its Spanish White, Andalucian if I remember. Anyway, drink it in Spain and its very nice, drink it back home and it tastes salty!

i think french reds travel ok, and new world wines. My favourite wine is a French Merlot, which is produced and bottled by an australian winemaker (in France) at €6 a bottle. It's called Fox Mountain Merlot, very nice!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:13 pm

Is it Barbadillo? I don't drink white much but it tasted very good in summer. It's from around Cadíz area. Wine never tastes as good when you get back home because its the different ambiente.

laclotte
Resident

Postby laclotte » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:20 pm

Colinm - Fox Mountain....very good they also have a great Syrah. Our vineyards produce two of the old French classics - white being Macabeu and the reds being a Grenache Gris. The Macabeu has an unusual, fruity taste and can have a sugar content of up to 16% (!) the Grenache is blended with other grape types for the typical table wine. I believe there is also a lot of Grenache in Spain....maybe known under another name.
My call is always a white!

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:30 pm

Katy, Barbadillo, that's the one! I think it's not only the ambient but also the social atmosphere!

laclotte - I'm not too keen on Syrah (isn't that what new world calls Shiraz?) it's a bit too peppery for my taste buds. What Grenache Gris would you recommend? :D As its St Patrick's Day on Saturday I need to maintain the Irish viewpoint on the world, and have a drink or three :lol:

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:52 pm

Many Spanish wines, red and white are in my opinion on a level with and sometimes superior to overpriced and overmarketed French wines and given the choice I will usually buy Spanish produced wines.

Many people are unaware that a large percentage of Vines were introduced from Caifornia into France in the early part of the twentieth century!
Ah! the full english!!

laclotte
Resident

Postby laclotte » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:52 pm

Colinm, It would be so difficult to make a recommendation...wine drinkers all seem to have their own preferences. Anything that I may recommend would only be based on my 'on humble' opinion...and I prefer white! However I would never buy just a cheap bottle to have a glass....rather pay more and have a good glass. I enjoy the wines with a fruity flavour and find the private 'caves' in the South East of France have a fantastic choice. My favourite caves are Betrand Berge in Paziols and Domaine Grand Arc in Cucugnan (he wins many prizes). The sweet wines of Rievsaltes are also wonderful.
Happy St Patricks Day....and have an extra one for me!

laclotte
Resident

Postby laclotte » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:58 pm

Retro P
Yes - I certainly know that as there was a sickness that killed off almost all the vines in France about 100 years ago--- hence often we (in France) call the new vine Le American!
I am not trying to sell French wines (on the contrary) and when I am in Spain I would normally drink a Spanish wine......when in Rome.....!
The topic was about wine in general and certain points were discussed....nothing more nothing less. I still would neither buy nor drink wine that costs 0.49 a bottle.....just not my style!

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:12 pm

For a good cheap everyday white we just stock up with Albali White.....the dryer the better for us.
One other cheapish Spanish White that the Mrs. really likes is Analivia.

Problem is just nowhere near us (inland from Nerja) seems to stock it, it's just not available, yet some bars sell it as their house white.
A mate picks some up from a store in Marbella when he knows we're going across......anyone else tried this or seen it for sale?.

Kenny
Last edited by Campo Kenny on Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:14 pm

Some interesting views, and I do agree with most of it..however if I see a wine on offer I will 'have a go', if I don't like it , my wife will use it for cooking with, or it will be served as a long cool drink with Casera...

While we are on the subject of 'drink', what about Cava and Champagne, again we've tried some expensive labels in both and have mixed views.. I do have a Nephew in London who is a wine buyer, and have had quite a few 'samples' from him, I enjoy them even more when they are gifts ! :lol:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:17 pm

laclotte wrote: I still would neither buy nor drink wine that costs 0.49 a bottle
Quite right, laclotte - far too expensive. The litre boxes at 0.45 are quite good enough - equivalent to 30 cents a bottle. Mind you, we do drink it mostly as a tinto de verano, and I refuse to put lemonade/La Casera into a glass of good red!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

nevada smith

Postby nevada smith » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:31 pm

beni,
i have scattered the following through other threads:
2 of our house whites: 1.50 euros/btl
berberana cosecha, blend, 11% vol
vina del mar, xarel-lo, macabeo, parellada, 10.5% vol
2 of our house reds: just over 3 euros/btl
navarra, tempranillo, merlot, cab sauv, 12.5%
mesquiriz, cab sauv, unk - currently out of stock
the only problem i have with the ‘new world’ wine is
the same problem i have with the ‘current world’ wines -
high alcohol content...
yes, the wines have tremendous aromas and flavors
they just don’t seem to last longer than the first glass...
so, while the ‘basement’ is primarily home to spanish wines
we have something from each of the new regions and
one rack devoted to smoking loon wines from california -
but what else would you expect...

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:55 pm

We like wines from Ribera del Duero, too many seem to take advantage of the Rioja name now. Couldn't drink wine from a plastic carton as I can taste the plastic also hate to drink out of a plastic cup. Do use the 95 cents a bottle for cooking sometimes and I agree I would never use a good wine for tinto de verano. I think its ok to drink what you are happy with. I mostly drink red and I do like French wine as it seems more mellow and smoother and you don't get a thick head. Had some good Australian wines and New Zealand too. The Chateux deux charmes that I have mentioned before (Canada) is really good.