English veggie food and Patak's stuff in Málaga?

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
Brid
Tourist

English veggie food and Patak's stuff in Málaga?

Postby Brid » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:40 pm

I'm looking for supermarkets or shops in Málaga (from Fuengirola to Vélez- Málaga) selling veggie products from England (Quorn, Cauldron, Linda McCartney, etc) and also a place where I can get Patak sauces and that stuff.

Any ideas?

wodge
Andalucia.com Amigo

Veggie Food and Sauces

Postby wodge » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:05 pm

Have you tried Iceland/Overseas at Myramar Fuengirola or Dunnes?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:54 pm

There's a couple of English shops in Puente don Manuel, near Vinuela. One's called The English shop and the other is Arkwrights and if they don't have what you want I think they'll try to get it for you. A little out of your search area is Russells on Torrox Costa where I have bought Quorn products in the past. Good hunting :lol:

LouB
Tourist

Postby LouB » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:34 pm

Hi
Carrefour at Los Patios, Malaga and Eroski in Valez Malaga sell Pataks sauces.

Not sure about quorn or Linda McC's stuff - Carrefour at Los Patios have an British freezer section you might get it there 8)

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:20 pm

Brid try small health food shops called HERBORISTERIA
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

palmtrees
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby palmtrees » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:29 pm

Just realised you are in the Axarquía. Eroski in Vélez does sell Linda McCartney stuff if you like that. Last time I looked they had sausages but cant remember if they had any of the other items in the range.

If you get to Vélez, there is a good herboristería which also has a branch in Torre. The Vélez shop is somewhere near the back door of the Mercadona opposite the chicken man. Go out of the bottom door, turn left, and I think it is first street on the left. Maybe Calle Pio Augusto. Sorry I'm doing this from memory. The one in Torre is on Avenida Andalucía, approx opposite the library (near the taxi rank).

They sell Redwood foods (the cheatin range), rashers, plus "fishy" type stuff - I think they are a bit pricey but great for a change. You probably know that most herboristerías sell tofu as a minimum, some sell seitan and tempeh, either fresh or in jars. If you buy any of these products fresh (ie from the fridge), be aware of the sell-by dates.

El Corte Inglés in Málaga used to have a choice of some stuff but it's a while since I've been. Probably no more choice than you get in Torre or Vélez.

Don't know about Quorn or Cauldron in Spain. Loads in Morrisons in Gib if you time it right. Bit of a hike though. If you are thinking of coming down pm me and I will tell you if they have much vegetarian stock in.

Brid
Tourist

Postby Brid » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:02 pm

Thanks a lot everyone :)

I checked Eroski and found some Patak's souces and couldn't find Linda McC's sausages.

I'll try and go to the herboristería in Torre and let's see what happens!

Thanks, palmtrees, I'll pm you when I go to Gibraltar. It might be worth it!
En donde esté una piedra solitaria sin inscripción alguna, donde habite el olvido, allí estará mi tumba. (G.A.Bécquer).

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:41 am

Last time I was in there, which was admittedly a couple of years ago or more, the big Supersol (or is it Hypersol) supermarket in Nerja had quite a good range of veggie stuff, which has probably increased by now!

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:19 pm

Whilst in Supersol in Torre del Mar last week, I noticed they had 2 or 3 Linda McCartney products in the freezer cabinet, including sausages, but the packaging seemed to have changed from how I remember them looking in the UK, so don't rely on appearance!