Bringing food from the UK

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Bringing food from the UK

Postby katy » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:06 pm

Are the foot and Mouth restrictions still in place? I was at the Chatsworth Farm shop last week and brought some goodies back. A friend said they could have been confiscated but I thought it had finished. I suppose a trip to Gib for xmas goodies will be out, most stuff seems to have animal products in it.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:13 pm

I went shopping in Gib the other week and bought food to bring out into Spain. I don't think there's any restrictions, the only thing they used to worry about was alcohol and baccy, but they weren't stopping many cars at the border when I was there.

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:40 am

No restrictions of freshfood stuffs at border with Gib, HOWEVER, Bird Flu, Blue Tounge [sheep] and Foot and Mouth will have a marked impact on Morrisons meat imports, so shop early!!
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:54 pm

I would suggest you avoid bringing in a Norfolk turkey!
:D
Sid

mary b
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mary b » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:12 pm

I would suggest buying in Spain ,there are several shops ,butchers included that stock English christmas goodies and avoid the dreaded Gib
i never repeat gossip,so listen very carefully

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:24 pm

But will they allow goods to be imported from the UK? Is there a European ban on animal products or not?

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:38 pm

Yes there is a ban Katy.

Personal Exports
Foot and mouth disease can be spread through a variety of food products which could carry the disease. As a precautionary measure, the European Union has introduced emergency rules to restrict export of potentially susceptible products from the UK. We are urging people to play their part in trying to prevent disease spreading between countries.

The banned products are fresh meat, meat products, fresh milk or milk products from animals which are susceptible to foot and mouth disease. It is impossible to draw up a comprehensive list of every banned food but some examples are bacon, sausages, ham (and sandwiches or pizza containing these), soups containing meat pieces, cheese, cream, butter, milk powder, yoghurt and ice-cream. This also includes items such as biscuits, bread, cakes, chocolate or confectionery that contain these products.

Baby milk can be circulated freely within the European Union, but other countries are understandably taking a very cautious approach and there is no guarantee that products will not be confiscated by foreign customs if they deem them to be a risk. Please see the Defra website for more information.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:47 pm

Thankyou Paula, just what I wanted to know :)

I like to buy lamb from the UK. not because spanish lamb doesn't taste nice but they don't joint it the same. I did notice the last time I was in Gib that there was very little choice in cheese etc. and the meat was either spanish or Irish. So I suppose ordering stuff online for delivery to spain is off!

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:54 pm

I had a fairly long list for Husband to pick up at Waitrose & M & S but will have to forget it by the looks of things.

You ought to try McKennas butchers (Irish) nr Calahonda for any special joints of meat. If you order they can usually get or do whatever you want. Have done me a lovely crown of lamb before.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:56 pm

Paula wrote:Yes there is a ban Katy. ]
The ban on exports was lifted on Oct 12th for many areas of the UK. Some of the remaining restrictions were lifted later in the month and it is expected that the rest will be lifted any day now.

Check the DEFRA site for the latest info.

Sid

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:59 pm

Well it doesn't say anything is banned on the airline website (Monarch)
Wonder if I should chance it for Saturday, bit of an expensive list to get confiscated!

mary b
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mary b » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:28 pm

I broke the law ,brought in frozen sausages
i never repeat gossip,so listen very carefully

Julie
Andalucia Guru

meat

Postby Julie » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:54 pm

No live export , but dead meat can go out of the uk now, dont think we will be back to live export this year.
The markets died in the UK for a while and 2 weeks ago you could buy sheep for 2 quid a piece, just starting to pick up again this week. :)

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:13 pm

Katys' lamb should be cheap then :lol:

There was nothing live on my shopping list. So looks like husband has the dreaded shop to do afterall. Nice to see DEFRAS website is uptodate :roll:

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:20 pm

I asked a friend at Defra , the other week , about bans and they told me the same..no live exports...so I took a parcel of Lincolnshire thin link sausages to Germany, ( they were well dead), and brought some German sausages back...no problems.... :oops:

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:05 pm

On the foot and mouth topic, a great deal of the beef in Andalucia comes from Argentina, which has endemic foot and mouth. How come restrictions are put on UK exports to Spain? :cry:

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:30 pm

Because they speak Spanish in Argentina?

Don

Postby Don » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:31 pm

mary b wrote:I broke the law ,brought in frozen sausages
I think we need to ask Karandjon's new neighbour for advice on this one Mary. What size handcuffs ?

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Re: Bringing food from the UK

Postby pigs-might-fly » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:39 pm

katy wrote: I was at the Chatsworth Farm shop last week and brought some goodies back.
Aha Katy, you must be well heeled to shop there! Lovely shop, mind you!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:44 pm

Just a one off, I was visiting someone nearby. Their Pork Pie with Stilton is to die for. Don't miss the shop if you live close 8)