Farmers Market, Trapiche

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Farmers Market, Trapiche

Postby Wicksey » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:40 pm

Have been to the Country Farmers Market in Trapiche near Velez Malaga today and was very impressed. I think it has had a few false starts in other venues but this one is worth a visit. There were lots of food samples to try and I bought a bottle of luverly beer, Bateman's Combined Harvest (4 grain, light, summery real ale ..... yummy) that the stall holder was giving samples of, amongst others. There's a good home-made cake stall (even yummier!), plus various home-made pies and other goodies plus cooked meats, including honeyroast ham and a deeelicious mushroom and garlic pate that I've just had for lunch. I wouldn't go there every week, some of the stuff is a bit pricey for me, but I may well be going once a month to treat us to some ham or paté.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:39 pm

Hiya Wicksey. There was a thread touching on this venue a month or so back.
I commented then that on visit there in September I personally was dissapointed with it having been expecting a proper farmers market. i.e. Fruit/veg stalls/fresh meats etc. of which there were none. Some agreed with me others didn't.
I felt it had more of a British craft fair feel than anything else.

However other people like to go and stock up on their pies/pasties etc. so each to their own and I hope it prospers.

Your once a month comment makes me think it must have improved since September as the general consencus of the people we went with was once or twice a year.

You're not far away from our holiday place Wicksey so to be honest it's not that much of a drive to get there............I certainly wouldn't travel any further.

Kenny

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:26 pm

It was worth it for the beer alone, CK :lol: :lol: I'd heard in the past it wasn't that great, but it was quite good to while away a morning there.

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:34 pm

is it only on Tuesdays?

avellana
Resident

Postby avellana » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:14 pm

Only on Tuesdays.
The other Tuesday market is at Chiringuito Antonio, Puente Don Manuel just 10 minutes up the road.
There is a fruit and vegetable stall there.
Also pies, cakes, pet shop supplies, artist supplies, second hand English books (fiction, non-fiction and children's books) etc.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:48 pm

....and friendly duplicate bridge starting at around 2.15, after the market closes!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Farmers Market, Trapiche

Postby gavilan » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:27 am

and if you have any money left after your market purchases, maybe visit the little shop Aisha in the nearby hamlet of Trapiche ... sells Moroccan goods ... rugs, throws, marble plates, tables, mirrors etc and also some beautiful old pots and stone artifacts ...

and then wander around the hamlet ... doesnt look very interesting at first but find the old chimney still standing from the time when there was a huge 'trapiche' here (a complex of oil, wheat and sugar mills) ... a plaque to the Moroccan travel writer Ibn Battuta (1300s), one of the old railway stations (1908) along the Velez - Ventas de Zafarraya line, a memorial to the poet Juan Juredo Lorca born here, a 'casa de peones camineros' (road menders cottage) now a private residence ... then drive along the old coach road towards Velez ... see a lovely old aqueduct in the fields on your left ... and visit Palacio de Beniel in Velez to see a Roman gravestone found in Trapiche early AD ...

palmtrees
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby palmtrees » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:51 pm

It seemed to be more of a craft fair than anything else. We bought a few lechugas and a huge coliflor.

We haven't been back.

K&A

JAWG
Resident

Postby JAWG » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:16 pm

lechugas and a huge coliflor.
Being a North American I find it necessary from to time to time to query certain terminology. For example, what is lechugas? What is coliflor?
John G
Ottawa, ON, Canada

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:59 am

You could look them up in your spanish dictionary or on line :D

Pues (errr mmmmm ) is there much english written on here .... nae by me there isnae, I am Scottish lol

I like to see some spanish on here, I am trying hard to learn the language and it all helps :D

palmtrees
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby palmtrees » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:26 pm

JAWG wrote:
lechugas and a huge coliflor.
Being a North American I find it necessary from to time to time to query certain terminology. For example, what are lechugas? What is coliflor?
Apologies. I (and partner) tend to speak and think in both languages. Apart from anything else neither of us want to lose what Spanish we have, and we have just grown used to mixing the languages. So when I wrote the post I thought about what I bought and they were lechugas (lettuces) and colifor (cauliflower). It wasn't conscious pretentiousness although I can appreciate it might come across as that.

I will be more careful in future - although I would have thought most people on here could manage lechuga and coliflor. Or at least I will provide a translation and hope that doesnt seem patronising.

Sorry JAWG.

palmtrees
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby palmtrees » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:39 pm

Cheers for that, I have just read a few threads with loads of Spanish words in them and wondered what was wrong with lechugas and colifor? :(

Feeling better now. :D

Does that mean I don't have to bother with the silly translations for simple words? Apols again - remember - newbie here, not yet worked out rules.

Hey, just realised. It could have been a joke. :lol:

Bit slow off the mark with my woman flu. Estoy refriada.

papajohnsplace
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby papajohnsplace » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Thank you for the nice comments about the beers I have on my stand at the farmer's market at Trapiche. Much appreciated.
:D

papajohnsplace
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby papajohnsplace » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:42 pm

Also for anyone who hasn't been to the market recently; it is ever expanding and there is now an excellent veg stand and flowers, plus a lady who has a wonderful choice of herbs, plus the usual mango man etc.
Last week there was a Spanish gentleman with organic wines and vinegars, the week before a Spanish gentleman with cheeses and wine. Recently a lady selling 'last month's' English magazines @€2 each or 3 for €5 has been there too.

There's always home produced honey, bread, vegetarian foods, Turkish/Greek type food, and lots of home baking. So quite a selection.

P.S. I have got good beers, stout and cider for Christmas !!!!!
:wink:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:14 pm

Does that mean I'll get an extra 'taster' next time I come :wink: :wink:

That Bateman's was delicious. We should have bought two bottles as my OH is always a bit miffed that I appreciate real ale and want to share it :lol:

papajohnsplace
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby papajohnsplace » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:59 pm

Yes!!! tasters available on Christmas beers (Rosey Nosey and Fireside), stout and 3 Westons ciders as well as other usual real ales. This coming Tuesday I also have 12 bottles only of Bah Humbug which I will be rationing to one per customer, first 12 get them!---whoops---my husband has just said he is first in the queue--so that's 11 available!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:48 pm

The Nosey Rosey is highly recommended. My OH is pleased with his 'birthday' box of beers: 4 bottles for 10€ :wink: