Cornflour

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
Angie P
Andalucia.com Amigo

Cornflour

Postby Angie P » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:18 pm

Hi
I need some cornflour, so can someone tell me what the name is in Spanish and is a 'raising agent' the same thing?
Sorry to be thick about it, but on the side of the packet, it says ' can be used as an alternative to cornflour'

Is this the case in all situations?

I recently bought one of those old be-ro recipe books.. my nanna had one when I lived with her as a child, and now I am settled into life here, I thought it would be nice to have a go at some of the recipes in there.. but the problem is, I really dont have a clue!
I dont want to keep calling the UK to ask Nanna as she is elderly and poorly and my Mum was fairly useless at cooking!
I would love to surprise Mum and Dad when they come over next month and bake something.. anything!!

Any clues as to the cornflour, or any really easy recipes ( explained using words of no more than 2 syllables please!) would be really appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Ang

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Re: Cornflour

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:49 pm

When I'm sent to the shop, by my Missus, for cornflour, I buy Maizena...hope that helps..

Regards, Gordon

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:14 pm

Maizena is a trade name and they produce a number of products.

Cornflour is Harina Fina de Maiz and is available under the Maizena label. They also make yeast for breadmaking under the Maizena label as Levadura de Panaderia.

Sid

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:16 am

A raising agent is different to cornflour and if you are looking at old Be ro recipes, I think you are looking for something to raise cakes perhaps or some dessert ?

Cornflour ( maizena or maize flour here - you mix with cold water and add to hot things - never add hot water or it goes lumpy) it is used to thicken sauces mainly but can be used in some cakes and batters.

Raising agent can be baking powder which you would buy in a Brit store in a small plastic container. They add this to plain flour to make self raisiing flour to make cakes rise. You only usually need to add a spoonful to a recipe to make it rise. I have never found an equivalent in Spain.
The other raising agent is yeast whuich is mainly used for breads or rich bread dough cakes. You can buy that dried or fresh in a bakers shop.

Happy baking, I'm sure your folks will be most impressed whatever you turn out :D :D

Angie P
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Angie P » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:29 am

Thanks for that, I will make sure I dont substitute the cornflour for raising agent then! I'm glad I asked!

Off to sieve the flour now!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:33 am

anis wrote: Raising agent can be baking powder which you would buy in a Brit store in a small plastic container. They add this to plain flour to make self raisiing flour to make cakes rise. You only usually need to add a spoonful to a recipe to make it rise. I have never found an equivalent in Spain.
You can buy baking powder in Spain under the Royal brand. You will probably recognise the packaging from the UK although it is Spanish. They call it Levadura Quimica. Maizena and others also sell similar products.

Sid

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:38 am

Thanks for that Sid, will look out for it :D

wagon ropes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wagon ropes » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:40 pm

The cornflour sold under the Maizena name also comes in an 'instant' variety which can be added direct to the hot soup or sauce. Excellent if you want to do a 'quick fix' when things turn out a bit runnier than you expected. :roll: Best way to spot it is that it is always in the smaller size packet!
Life is 'ard den you die!

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:15 pm

Baking Powder is known as Polvo de levadura but do not quote my spelling. If you have a mercadona nearby they have this where they keep the flour. They also sell this in Lidl in sachets which come I believe in packs of twelve. They also sell self raising flour in Mercadona as well as wholemeal flour, which I found today, which was nice as I have just bought a bread machine :D

Kamila
Resident

Postby Kamila » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:09 pm

Good luck with your bread maker Troglodyfae, I've had one for years and I love it.

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:48 pm

I have just made my first loaf of bread and still have butter dripping down my chin :lol: Heaven !!

So easy, I just could not believe it. I was going to thrash OH within an inch of his life for allowing me to break into a sweat making bread by hand all these years, sadly he sensed my mood and left....lol

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:34 pm

I bought a cheap breadmaker from Lidl a couple of years ago, and I buy their packets of bread mix (we like the Sunflower seed & the Multigrain ones ! Actually, I'm not sure if I've seen these in Spain ?). Just whack in the water; half a packet of mix; set it going; and just over 3 hours later - yummy !! I often set it just before we go to bed and wake up to nicely cooled bread (it's easier to get the paddles out then !) :wink:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:42 pm

Trog,
The big problem with making your own bread is that you will probably consume more than usual,....can't beat it, big doorstop chunks dripping with thick salty butter, how unhealthy...but lipsmackingly delightful.!

My Wife makes some great bread rolls, just using the machine to knead the dough, then kneads a little by hand, makes into numerous roll shapes leaving to 'prove' for about 45 minutes, then coats them with egg and spreads them with sesame seeds, and then bakes them in the oven.
I'm usually banned from the kitchen during and after the baking process, until she has them safely out of reach...in the freezer.. :(

Regards,
Gordon

Kamila
Resident

Postby Kamila » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:16 pm

I often just use dough setting when I have a roast in the oven. I time the breadmaker so the dough is ready at the same time as my roast going in and then bake the bread in the oven.
chrissiehope, Lidl have the bread mixes here in Spain. I sometimes buy them and use them.
I have bought my first breadmaker many years ago in Makro in UK. I used it so much that it eventually gave up on me. I bought a cheap one in Makro here in spring this year. But we had a powercut a few months ago and I threw the mixing blades (I have got two) in the bin by mistake. I have to go to Malaga to the dealership and see if they will have them as spare parts. If I will not get them the I will have to buy a new breadmaker. Can't be without it.

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:40 pm

I always made bread by hand and never with my food processor, but the bread machine seemed like a very good idea as I am pretty tied up with work and looking after my mother. I am still amazed at how easy it all is, that easy I can let the menfolk take turns :twisted:

barry
Resident

Postby barry » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:50 am

Hi! Rob doesnt mind using it cause it plugs into the luz and is a gadget. Its the male in us. Well done! Hope you are all well and 'peace and love' (ringo) to you all, Barry and Lindy who is in Engerland looking after her Mum.

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:14 am

Hello young man :D

Rob is going to make his first load today. I will have to tell him how to do it as he will not read the instructions :lol:

Yep we are pretty good here apart from the storm we had on Sat night. It must have got you too, it cannot just have been where I am???