Chorizo & tomato salad

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Chorizo & tomato salad

Postby chrissiehope » Tue May 25, 2010 3:25 pm

About a month ago, on the 'Jamie Oliver' thread, I distinctly remember someone asking about the recipe for the above, but I can't find the reference now :eh:

Anyway, before I went away four weeks ago, I bought a magazine to read on holiday, and lo - there was said recipe ! I've scanned it in, and pasted it below - hope whoever it was that wanted it comes across this thread :D

SPAIN Best chorizo and tomato salad in the world

‘So many people live their lives eating the most boring tomato salads and there's no need to! Using really ripe sweet tomatoes and a hero ingredient like chorizo means you'll end up with something ridiculously good.’

Serves 4 as a light meal
1 raw chorizo sausage (approx 225g), roughly sliced
olive oil
3 large ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
3 handfuls (270g) of cherry tomatoes, quartered, smaller ones halved
3 spring onions or 1 shallot, trimmed or peeled and finely sliced
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Spanish extra virgin olive oil
sherry vinegar
a small bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley (you could also use basil or mint), leaves picked and finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely sliced
a rustic loaf of bread, to serve
goats cheese, to serve (optional)
pata negra ham, to serve (optional)

1 Fry the sliced chorizo in a pan over a medium heat with a lug of dive oil. Stir it with a wooden spoon occasionally while you prepare your tomatoes and spring onions. Put them into a bowl with a good pinch of salt and pepper, a lug of extra virgin olive oil and a splash of sherry vinegar. Sprinkle over the chopped parsley, toss everything together, then put aside.

2 By now, your chorizo should be getting crispy with lots of beautiful fat cooking out of it - this is where the magic happens. Add the sliced garlic to the pan and keep it moving around. You don't want it to burn, so as soon as it starts to smell fantastic, get the pan off the heat and pour in a small splash of sherry vinegar to stop it cooking further. Stir, then spoon
the crispy chorizo and some of its lovely flavoured oil and garlic over the salad (if you've got any leftover fat in the pan, pour it into a jam jar and store it in the fridge - if you rub it all over a chicken before roasting it will add the most incredible flavour).

3 Toss your salad and serve it right away. You'll definitely want some hunks of bread to mop up all that spicy garlicky dressing, and maybe some nuggets of good goat's cheese on the side. I also like to serve it with with a few slices of pata negra -it's a wonderfully aromatic cured ham from Spain's famous Iberian pigs, and you should be able to find it in most supermarkets.
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Chorizo & tomato salad

Postby olive » Tue May 25, 2010 5:50 pm

Lovely!

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:08 pm

looked yummy when jamie did it :clap:
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:13 pm

Just a suggestion - use the Asturian Smoked Chorizo - it has a huge amount of flavour.

The cheap ordinary stuff is really not as good. You can buy the good stuff it in Mercadonna.

Sid