Fish

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
ken2
Resident

Re: Fish

Postby ken2 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:43 pm

well i have thawed out this cola de rape (monkfish tail) i was a bit disappointed in the fact that it did quiet smell?? but carried on hoping we are not going to regret it, anyway i took the big bone out cut up to small bites, dipped in egg and then in broken up crisps,fried them in a little oil and butter, what can i say, ? not bad, but i think the other one i bought will be left to see how Fay cooks it,if like mine, i wont be rushing back to the shop for more,my problem with it was it smelt of fish?? i use to catch a lot of Mackerel, when you catch them and kill them, they do start almost immediately to show that the sooner you eat them the better,blimey i did my nut in three of the fish counters here in big stores that had the Mackerel with there head stuck in loads of ice and there bums stuck up in the air, well no they was not, because they had gone all limp, do they really think all the house wives are so stupid as to be fooled by tricks like that to say they have bright fresh eye's ,But I'm with Sid, the commercial fishing today realize on fresh, so the fish are on ice in less time than you can blink, then sorted filleted and frozen, when you thaw it out it may still wriggle. ha ha p.s i think i should of cooked it in one piece and had one each?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:55 pm

ken2 wrote:well i have thawed out this cola de rape (monkfish tail) i was a bit disappointed in the fact that it did quiet smell??
This is quite normal in certain types of fish particularly skate, shark and monkfish.

Apparently they don't pee like ordinary fish and the urine is dissipated through the flesh and out through the skin.

Skate and Shark and other "cartilaginous" fish like Monkfish should never be eaten totally fresh. The smell may get stronger as the urine comes out but is always goes with cooking.

You really didn't want to know that did you! :lol: :lol:

Sid

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:44 pm

arrrrrhhh you are so right Sid, you bring back old memories, we use to live at Wrangle about 12miles from skegness, my so then a young man use to go at the weekends long lining for cod, but i think in May he would catch lots of skate, and the smell of ammonia was something else, ha ha he use to hang them out on out clothes line to get the smell to participate,?? is that the right word?? I've had a glass or two of that very nice boxed wine and a couple of large gins, ha ha but yes never ever thought it was urine yuk but i can not thing of a better fish than a nice skate wing, i eat the bone too,Sid you are o full of the worldly knowledge, i have a job remembering yesterday, ha ha ha

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:01 pm

I bought some of the Lidl monk fish today too, Ken. It's in the freezer now so please let me know how Faye gets on cooking it her way another time.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:11 pm

As it is frozen at the time of catching it may not have had enough time for the ammonia smell to dissipate. If it does smell put it in some acidic water for a few minutes. Vinegar or lemon juice will get rid of the smell as acids neutralise the alkaline ammonia.

It's interesting that skate, which really can smell a bit, is often cooked with "Buerre Noir" which contains lemon juice or vinegar.

Monkfish is often grilled and a marinade of lemon, oil and garlic will improve it enormously and get rid of any lingering ammonia.

Sid

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:25 pm

Thanks, Sid, will remember that when defrosting.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:38 pm

Hope I spell this correctly, what is "Abadejo de Alaska", obviously I'm OK with "de Alaska". White fish fillets,fridge Mercadonna.

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:45 pm

Pollock caught in Alaska
Ann

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:56 pm

Alaskan Pollock/Pollack is a very different fish to the Pollock found in Atlantic waters. That is an inferior white fish often called Coley - which used to be a favourite fish to feed the cats.

Alaskan Pollock is more like Haddock (or Cod) and is a sustainable fish - that's why you see so much of it! It represents 40% of the whole of the worldwide catch of whitefish.

If you ever wondered where crabsticks came from, it is almost certainly from Alaskan Pollock.

It's the closest fish in taste and texture to Haddock, which for some strange reason is almost unheard of in Spain!

Sid

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:04 pm

Smoked Haddock is even rarer, we had a friend round last summer with her Spanish "boyfriend" he is in his 50's and for something different I gave him Paella a la Inglés, kedgeree. He had thirds !

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:25 pm

The one place you can get Haddock, white or smoked, is Iceland and it's very reasonably priced and very good.

Sid

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:24 pm

Great tips Sid with lemon and vinegar, OK when Fay cooks it i'll post the results, like the idea grill with lemon,and yes as much as we hate icland over seas, we do slip in for the smoked haddock if we can't get to gib, morrisons

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:47 pm

Don't know if they stock them in Spain but their party food is brilliant, and cheap. My favourite is jumbo tempura batter prawns, delish with a spicy ginger and mango sauce. Only £2 for 12. Not on here but the rest is good, especially their Indian and Chinese platters, they taste as good as M&S :D

http://www.iceland.co.uk/category/view/ ... Party+food

PS. I was told years ago by a Chef that if fish smells strong it's no good.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:02 pm

katy wrote:Don't know if they stock them in Spain but their party food is brilliant, and cheap.
They certainly do and it is. :thumbup:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:44 pm

For the 'do' after my brothers funeral his carers said they would get the food for the spread, all Iceland finger food, delicious. Had never tried Iceland food before!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:57 pm

katy wrote:

PS. I was told years ago by a Chef that if fish smells strong it's no good.
Normally that's exactly right but these particular types of fish break all the normal rules!

Sid