The big problem with only drinking white wine.

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: The big problem with only drinking white wine.

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:12 pm

My ex-brotherinlaw sold a company many years ago for £10 million, so was able to enjoy some good plonk. He did the 'port' thing - a bottle of Ribena, one of Tesco's finest rough, a Sandeman and a vintage that cost way over £500 for the bottle. At a dinner party with the local nobs - from the guy who owned Chatsworth House to the local MP and some, as you say, PITAs, he produced a small glass of each for all the blokes to try (the women were of course not allowed to join in and were in any case far too wise to get involved!) and they were asked to say which they liked best, and what they thought they were.
The biggest percentage by a long way voted for the Tesco rubbish, hardly any for the superb vintage, and the odd drunk went for the Ribena!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

JAWG
Resident

Postby JAWG » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:00 pm

I almost always drink my red wine chilled. At least at home. Can't control how other people serve the stuff. Don't drink white anymore. Heartburn!. I used to be a great fan of German Whites.
John G
Ottawa, ON, Canada

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:22 pm

JAWG wrote:I almost always drink my red wine chilled. At least at home. Can't control how other people serve the stuff. Don't drink white anymore. Heartburn!. I used to be a great fan of German Whites.
You are not alone, my OH likes a chilled red in hot weather...much to the derision of everyone, including myself. He sneaks one into the fridge and I take it out if I see it.

As for the stuff about port...wish I had a bottle of good red, or port everytime I have heard that story. Still it makes the plebs feel happy as they drink their plonk imagining that the rich are paying much more for the same quality :mrgreen:

Sid, we have had the 234 under Sainsburys own brand, we bought it to try as it was on offer, it was very good.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:54 am

All this talk about port reminds me of the one and only time I have tried it! I was a tender 19 year old, staying at married friends house. The men had beer so after being out shopping for wedding dress material my friend and I decided we would get a bottle of wine for us ladies to drink that night as we were having a cards night. We bought a bottle of. port which. Friend and I drank between us. The next day I had my very first hangover, at least I got up, friend never did get up that day!! I have never drunk port since! :lol:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:02 am

katy wrote:
You are not alone, my OH likes a chilled red in hot weather
It depends on how you define "chilled".

The recommended temperature to drink red wine is 16c-18c.

Unless you have one of these expensive wine fridges, in Spain in summer, the wine will be nearer 30c than 20c so chilling it for a short time to bring it down to nearer 20c would be the right thing to do.

Sid

Mariacristina
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mariacristina » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:50 am

In my village red wine is served chilled as a matter of course. This really surprised me as in the UK the mantra for red wine is to serve at room temperature (that would be 40+ here in the summer!). I was also surprised at how informed and exacting everyone in my village seems to be about wine. It is quite normal in the bars here for someone to specify that they want their tinto de verano made with Rioja.

People here do seem to be prepared to try something new if the man behind the bar suggests it and they then rely on their own tastebuds to make a decision about it. Nobody seems to need an
"expert" to tell them what to like!

Red wine does seem to be more popular than white wine. Is it a bit more macho? There are some superb white wines made here in Cordoba Province and I drink those when I can.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:00 am

I almost always drink my red wine chilled
I usually drink it at room temperature, but in summer I'll cool it down a bit.
It's a bit like beer. I'll never for the life of me understand why some people like warm beer.
Dave

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:02 am

Mariacristina wrote:In my village red wine is served chilled as a matter of course. This really surprised me as in the UK the mantra for red wine is to serve at room temperature (that would be 40+ here in the summer!). I was also surprised at how informed and exacting everyone in my village seems to be about wine. It is quite normal in the bars here for someone to specify that they want their tinto de verano made with Rioja.
Yes, I've been asked whether I want chilled red in bars in Spain, and very often it would certainly need to be, it's not good drinking it above say 20º. I´d have thought asking for Rioja and then flooding it with gaseosa would be sacrilege! :lolno: Any old plonk would do for that. Bit like adding water to whisky! :lol:
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:25 am

Bit like adding water to whisky!
You should always add a tiny drop of water (about 3ml) to whisky to bring out its full flavour :think:
Ann

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:58 am

Not ever having been a whisky drinker isn't it subjective as to whether you add water or not? I've heard people who cringe at the thought and also heard people who can't do without a splash of H2o.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:08 am

It is perfectly correct to add water to whisky - that is what the experts do.

http://www.scotchwhisky.com/english/tas ... asproc.htm

Sid

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:10 am

To a certain extent it is subjective. When I lived in Edinburgh I was often invited to the Scotch Malt Whisky Society. It is about the only place that you can legally buy cask strength whisky. It was there that I was taught to add a tiny drop of water, it really does make a huge difference. :thumbup:
Ann

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:02 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:Not ever having been a whisky drinker isn't it subjective as to whether you add water or not? I've heard people who cringe at the thought and also heard people who can't do without a splash of H2o.
Nor me, can't stand the stuff, with or without water, just thought I'd throw it in to rile the "experts", hence the smiley! They didn't disappoint! :lolno:
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:14 pm

Whisky is an acquired taste for the discerning palate. Someone who likes the odd glass of plonk will not appreciate the subtleties of whisky.
Dave

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:58 pm

Whisky, rarely drink it if I do it's on the rocks 8)

Back to "chilled" red. My OH got the taste at our favourite chiringuito. All the locals have it in summer. By chilled I mean as in white. But they only did it with the house rioja (which means it was about 2 euro per bottle :lol: ) 11 euro for us. I think they stored the unchilled red in the sun!

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:03 pm

Back to whisky.....Irish whiskey is the way to go......Powers Gold Label...biggest selling whiskey in the Emerald Isle.....smooth and lacks the peaty taste......which I find similar to sucking coal.

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:32 pm

Back to whisky.....Irish whiskey is the way to go
:crazy:
Whiskey is not whisky :!:
Powers Gold Label...biggest selling whiskey in the Emerald Isle
Johnnie Walker . . . biggest selling whisky in the world :thumbup:
If you don't like a peaty tasting whisky then drink a Speyside malt. :thumbup:
Ann

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:38 pm

Thought this was a thread about white wine :?

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:54 am

ann,
i do know that whiskey is not whisky.
it's spelt differently and tastes better.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:08 pm

JAWG wrote:I almost always drink my red wine chilled. At least at home. Can't control how other people serve the stuff. Don't drink white anymore. Heartburn!. I used to be a great fan of German Whites.
I'm the opposite. OK next day after an evening on red wine. However with white wine I spend the first 5 minutes of the next day trying to unstick my tongue from the roof of my mouth.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!