Wild Boar, Jabali meat outlets

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Wild Boar, Jabali meat outlets

Postby olive » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:03 pm

Anyone know of a stockists of butchered meat in Andalucia preferably Granada, Malaga or Cordoba provinces please?

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Re: Wild Boar, Jabali meat outlets

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:45 pm

There is a butcher's shop in Morón de la Frontera, Sevilla, that sells game meat. I have some wild boar in my freezer ready to cook. They have venison, boar, iberica pork and free range chicken.
They are open mornings and evenings. What they have fresh depends on what is shot, they freeze meat for out of season sales too. We have been more than pleased with the meat.
Morón is just over an hour from Antequera. If you take the junction 49 from the A92, head towards Morón, you will go across 5 roundabouts, the 5th having an airoplane on it! As you go across that roundabout the butchers is on the left, not far past a greengrocers, called Tomate, where the fruit is good!! It is probably better to go to the next roundabout and come back along the road and park. There is parking outside the shops.

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:06 pm

I have friends who live pretty close to this Moron area and will be up there later this year, i am also interested in checking out. If there is any more info available on address it would be appreciated, i did have a look at google but as i will be coming from opposite direction it is a bit confusing.

thanks

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:40 pm

I will find the address for you.

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:29 pm

your a darling
regards me...

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:02 pm

Thanks OV.

I hope my visiting friends appreciate not just the driving distance to get products but also the network involved in sourcing items.

olive

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:49 pm

It is in Ronda de la Trinidad. The post code for Morón is 41530

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:06 pm

Do non of your neighbours shot boar ? maybe you could get some off a neighbour .
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:39 am

Julie wrote:Do non of your neighbours shot boar ? maybe you could get some off a neighbour .
There are wild boar here but they aren't at all easy to track down. The hunters prefer to walk in a line across hillsides and shoot anything that moves. They make that much noise that coupled with dogs , any wild boar would be Km away! Their bag is usually song birds, some partridge and occasionally hare or a rabbit. Wild boar would take a degree of skill!

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:21 pm

The butchers is called Carniceria ViaVerde..

I think most of the game comes from the Sierra Norte ( north of Sevilla)

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:59 pm

Better not tell my neighbour that he will get big headed , ! My neighbours hunts all the time, and you do see the odd 4x4 with boar tied to the back of them on occasions, so I thought it was normal Lol !
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:09 pm

My neighbour shoots rabbit and hare, he gives me a hare now and again, I wish he shot boar :lolno:

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:27 pm

oliveview01 wrote:My neighbour shoots rabbit and hare, he gives me a hare now and again, I wish he shot boar :lolno:
A rifle is needed as opposed to the normal shotgun for these boars. Our local guys who do have rifles go a bit further afield to shoot these.

They are about locally but live rounds and houses don't mix.....hence most do stick to rabbits/birds.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:21 am

since we are on the subject does anyone know what to do with it when i get around to buying same?

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:16 pm

This is what I am going to do. Hairy Bikers recipe. There are some others on bbc.co.uk/food

Ingredients

700g/1lb 9oz boneless wild boar shoulder

4-5 tbsp sunflower oil

4 rashers rindless smoked streaky bacon or pancetta, cut into 1cm/½in slices

1 large onion, finely chopped

4 garlic cloves, crushed

75g/2½oz pitted black olives, rinsed, drained and sliced

2 tsp juniper berries, lightly crushed in a pestle and mortar

500ml/18fl oz red wine

400g/14oz can chopped tomatoes

2 tbsp tomato purée

1 beef stock cube

2 large bay leaves

3 bushy sprigs thyme

1 rosemary stalk, around 12cm/4½in long, leaves finely chopped

2 tsp caster sugar

flaked sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

freshly cooked pappardelle pasta, to serve

parmesan shavings, to serve

Preparation method

Cut the boar into chunky pieces, each around 2.5cm/1in. Trim off any really hard fat or sinew as you go. Season the meat really well with salt and pepper. Heat two tablespoons of the oil in a large frying pan.

Fry the boar in two batches over a medium-high heat until nicely browned on all sides, turning every now and then and adding more oil if necessary. As soon as the boar is browned, transfer to a large flameproof casserole or large saucepan.

Pour a little more oil into the pan in which the boar was browned and fry the bacon for 2-3 minutes, or until the fat crisps and browns. Scatter over the meat. Add a touch more oil to the frying pan and fry the chopped onion over a low heat for five minutes, stirring often until beginning to soften.

Stir the garlic, olives and crushed juniper berries into the pan and cook for two minutes more, stirring. Add to the flame-proof casserole with the meat and pour over the wine.

Stir in the tomatoes, tomato purée and 500ml/18fl oz cold water. Crumble over the stock cube, add all the herbs and the sugar and bring to a simmer.

Stir well, cover loosely with a lid, reduce the heat to low and leave to simmer very gently for 2½ hours, or until the boar is completely tender and falling apart.

Remove the lid every now and then and stir. If the liquid reduces too much, add a little extra water. The sauce should be fairly thick when you are finished, but not at all dry. Remove the thyme and rosemary stalks and bay leaves. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Toss the ragù with freshly cooked pappardelle pasta and sprinkle with a few parmesan shavings to serve.