Vintage cheddar

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
alisonb
Resident

Vintage cheddar

Postby alisonb » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:37 pm

Just back from UK with 4 packs of Wyke Farms vintage cheddar (and a gammon joint!). Although our supermarkets stock mature, Mercadona's is not nice, and Supersol's is expensive. Went to lidl for general shopping today, and there were two different vintage cheddars - one of which is called Somerset, but when you read the back, it's Wyke Farms. So now I'm cheesed up! They also had an Isle of Man one which I haven't tried. The price is very good. Somerset one is 8.95 Kg.
AlisonB

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Vintage cheddar

Postby country boy » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:01 pm

Iceland in Mijas Costa has it! yum yum!!

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:31 pm

Yep bought some yesterday. Delicious.

Had some semi hard goats cheese in a restaurant in Malaga near the lighting shops. Absolutely delicious. I wish I could buy that from a local shop.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:32 pm

The Somerset cheddar has just arrived in Lidl and is cheaper and just as good or better than the Wykes Farm from Iceland.

Let's hope it is a long term option.

Sid

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:10 pm

I won't need to keep bringing it back then! I've tried every Spanish cheese I can find, and whilst I love to eat some of them as they are, I don't think you can beat Cheddar for cooking. Maybe we ought to lobby Lidl to keep it in. They had one a couple of years ago labelled as Hatherwoods vintage and that was absolutely wonderful. Hope it doesn't do what the English bacon did, and double in price once they stocked it all the time
AlisonB