Cheapest places to buy Olive Oil ?

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Cheapest places to buy Olive Oil ?

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:53 am

We normally buy 'Extra Virgin Olive Oil' at our local Co-Op for about 15 euros for a 5 litre bottle, this year it seems to be a little cheaper and at the moment local supermarkets are selling it at 13,25 euro.
So is that about the going rate at the moment ?
Just wondered how that price compares with other areas...?

Regards,
Gordon.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Cheapest places to buy Olive Oil ?

Postby olive » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:43 am

That is about the going rate.

You will see it cheaper at times. My suspicion is that is old stock. Our local co op (probably the one you are buying from on Manzanil2) has doubled its storage capacity to be able to store and sell much later. Olive oil has a shelf life.

If it is much cheaper than 15 euros I would be suspicious of quality!

Is the local supermarket selling exactly the same product at that price?

Mariacristina
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mariacristina » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:01 pm

Gordon . . . we have superb olive oil here in Spain. The difference between the price of the best and the poorest is very little compared to the difference in the quality.

It really is worth spending a little time and money discovering the varieties of oils that are available.

The best place to buy is usually direct from your local mill and the best way to learn is by talking to the olive farmers . . . but let them finish the harvest first and then they will be pleased that you are taking an interest and asking them for their opinion. Really and truly, the range of oils and flavours is amazing and well worth the effort to find out more.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:48 pm

Olive and Mariacristina,
Thank you for your replies. :thumbup:

Yes the local supermarket has the offer on , and really it isn't so much of a saving, but I was curious to find out prices in different locations, and can anyone tell me what the price for olive oil is now in UK ?

Although we have lived in Spain quite a long time, we have only recently started using olive oil in any quantity, probably because until we retired we didn't actually have much time to 'home-cook'.

Anyway we will make sure that we check the sell by date so that we are not buying old stock.!

Regards,
Gordon.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:18 pm

Beni

I think it is a valid question to see what others(especially in the North none producing areas) are paying.

When we first arrived here many years ago, the locals took great delight in asking how much olive oil we used in a year. Most Brits would answer with about a litre or two. Huge guffaw and they would say 20 to 30 litres per family absolute minimum. That wouldn't include any machine deep fat frying either.

Now I can get their usage.

The sell by /usage date won't necessarily tell you when it was produced but lets face it many UK larders will have bottles of stuff opened years earlier.!

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:31 pm

Absolutely agree with you about minimal usage of olive oil by many Brits, we are really guilty... :oops:

We've used olive oil as a salad dressing for many years, but very little otherwise, but last year we used more than we probably used in the past 10 years.

My Wife absolutely hates olives, she really can't stand them, but I love them, so maybe this also has something to do with our low usage of the oil.?
But now even my good Lady can see the benefits of using oil in cooking and she has started using it much more as an alternative to butter.
And all of our waste oil goes to make soap...... :wave:

Regards,
Gordon

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:55 pm

We use about 20 litres/year - mainly Extra Virgin. All frying is done in it - never butter. For deep frying we use Girasol.

We tend to buy the supermarket own brands, but I would appreciate any recommendations for the "good" stuff.

Sid

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:08 pm

Tesco extra virgin 500mil £2.00 that's the cheapest
Fillipo berio 1litre £7.25
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:10 pm

Sorry, we don't have any Tescos near us and those prices are outrageous!

Why on earth would we want to buy Italian Olive Oil in Spain?

Sid

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:32 pm

El Cid wrote:Sorry, we don't have any Tescos near us and those prices are outrageous!

Why on earth would we want to buy Italian Olive Oil in Spain?

Sid
Benidorm asked for prices in the uk Sid.

Won't bother in future pal
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:04 am

Swerve, Many Thanks for that... :thumbup:

I don't think that Sid intended to be 'nasty' ,I think that he was just making a point....

As for buying Italian oil in UK, well I have been told by some local Spanish friends that they actually sell a lot of oil to the Italians.. :shock: , maybe the oil in Tesco actually could be Spanish and even started life in the olive groves opposite 'mi casa'....wow.

I would also be interested, like Sid, in receiving recommendations re. 'The Good Stuff'.

Have a Nice Day Everyone,
Regards,
Gordon.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:18 pm

As an aside , Italian olive oil.

They have a sixth of the quantity of Spanish trees.
I have no doubt that some of their oil is excellent, particularly as they have such a different climate to Spain.
Staggeringly under EU rules, Italy can and does buy a lot of Spanish oil and then resell it legally as "Italian" having added as little as 20% Italian oil. I dare say a lot just gets rebadged.......

That Bertoli oil in the Uk is some price! That is about 43 euros for 5 litres!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:11 pm

I was in Alcampo this morning. Their own brand EV is €14.45

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:38 pm

We buy our local extra virgin from the Torrox Co-op, about 3.50€ a litre I think. It is not as peppery as some of the other producers around this region. We did used to buy Periana oil from the big Eroski in El Ingenio but stopped when we discovered our own stuff was much sweeter.

I always buy Extra Virgin as opposed to Virgin, or just 'olive oil' which has been processed. Extra Virgin should be the first cold press and is the best for flavour and health benefits. It tastes nothing like tinned olives to me though, Benidorm - much more fragrant! We use it for frying and cooking plus salad dressings, and pour it onto bread or toast as a starter too.