Hunt the ingredient

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Hunt the ingredient

Postby Lyric » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:23 pm

For a recipe I need Curry leaves (fresh) and Mustard seeds. I do not expect much trouble with the latter but anyone know a source of the former ?

zanuck
Resident

Re: Hunt the ingredient

Postby zanuck » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:06 pm

I wanted fresh curry leaves about a year ago - in Reading I can buy a huge bunch for about £1.23 - not much use when standing in the kitchen on the CdS, but to my surprise I found that Sugar 'n' Spice in Competa had packets of dried ones for (I think) €1.75.

Not quite as good as fresh ones, but I had been searching markets and supermarkets for a couple of weeks before thinking of S 'n' S and these were fine for the dish I was cooking.

If there is an "English" shop in your neck of the woods, it could be worth paying them a visit.

Z

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:29 pm

do 'curry leaves' come from the curry plant? I know that sounds a stupid question but all I know is that my Spanish gardners planted a curry plant in the garden a few years ago and it smells of curry! So if that plant is the same as the curry leaves you want, I suggest you go to a vivero.garden centre and buy a plant!

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:48 pm

do 'curry leaves' come from the curry plant?
I would have to assume so. We need some insecticide so I'll look in the morning.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:32 pm

I have been growing them for some time. If you can find a plant when they have flowered you can plant the seeds and they should germinate OK. I haven't seen any for sale.

Eventually they can get quite large.

They freeze OK, but the dried ones are next to useless like a lot of similar stuff like Kaffir Lime leaves.

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:58 am

Take care that you get the right one!

www.motherearthliving.com/gardening/the ... plant.aspx
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:22 am

I was going to say the same PoR! The curry plant we used to have looked a bit like a lavander and is not the same as the herbal leaves that look a bit like a small bay leaf. I have got dried kaffir lime leaves and they are OK if I soak them in hot water for a while before using. I haven't seen the curry leaves here and as mine are ancient I expect I could do with replacing them as well.

There is a little shop on Torrox Costa opposite the Taj Indian (in one of the converted garages) called Daymi (closed Tuesdays). She sells little packets of all sorts of seeds for about 50c and is one of the only places I have found poppy seeds here.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:31 am

That's where I have pencilled in for Mustard seeds Mrs W

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:58 am

El Cid wrote: They freeze OK, but the dried ones are next to useless like a lot of similar stuff like Kaffir Lime leaves.
Sid

...but sometimes you have to make do with what's available and what you can get!

Superchef

Postby Superchef » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:45 am

I saw curry leaves and kafir lime leaves(dry) in Malaga market.