Conchas Finos (?)

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
zanuck
Resident

Conchas Finos (?)

Postby zanuck » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:56 pm

This afternoon, the owner of one of our local bars brought a free tapa of two halves of an open shellfish and a slice of lemon and salt and pepper.

The shells were like (I think) large clam shells - typical "shell shape" and about 1.25-1.5 inches diameter.

In one half was an orangey piece of fish meat and a white piece, the other half shell was just white meat.

Other half who has to be dragged kicking and screaming to try an oyster or mussels, declared the smaller half shell with the white fish meat "delicious".

I asked Ramon the bar owner what they were called and he replied "Conchas Finos"; back home looked them up in the dictionary and it shows " shell fish (mollusc)" - well I knew that already :roll: .

Does anyone have a better/more accurate name for them from my description above?

Thanks - Z

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Re: Conchas Finos (?)

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:09 pm

I think that you probably enjoyed Conchas Finas, quite common throughout the Med.

Although considered quite a delicacy I personally don't eat them after seeing what they feed on . :shock:

After a 'Bad' experience with shellfish I now avoid all of them, but everyone to their own !
Regards,
Gordon..former shellfish eater.... :lol:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:06 pm

It is a Venus Shell clam or smooth clam.

Correct name is Callista Chione.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smooth_clam

Sid

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:15 pm

BENIDORM wrote:After a 'Bad' experience with shellfish I now avoid all of them, but everyone to their own !
Regards,
Gordon..former shellfish eater.... :lol:
I just read Sid's link and yes, best avoided by the looks of it!
Brian.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:01 pm

I had an allergy to bivalvia (this type of shellfish) when I was very young with violent reaction and have avoided ever since. Also avoid octopus and family. Fine with prawns, lobster etc.

Anyone know if you grow out of this type of allergy? Bit of a drag as have to avoid most paellas except for the chicken ones and all fish soup.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:23 pm

I don't know if it was an allergy or just poisoning but I had a reaction to shellfish in the US.
My wife thought I'd had a stroke(fortunately not) as one side of my face dropped and was paralysed for a few days.
Now if I don't like the look of it I avoid it especially anything that filters krap through its valves.

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:52 pm

Well, Sid's link looks like what we ate this afternoon, and I have to say they were tasty.

However, reading the other replies, I guess that sometimes you win and sometimes you lose,

Eight hours on SWMBO and I are both ok stomach and bowel wise!!!!11

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:55 pm

I think that many people have allergic reactions to shellfish, including me and I doubt that you would 'grow out of it' , my personal opinion is that they are best left to adorn the seabed.
And to be quite honest I can't imagine why anyone would want to eat winkle type shellfish that resemble a piece of 'snot'....Sorry if you are just about to eat your supper.... :oops:

I actually made my living for a few years selling tropical shells and became an amateur conchologist, which changed my mind about robbing nature of some of the worlds most beautiful creatures, so now only collect shells that are naturally washed up (empty of former inhabitants) on the beaches of the world.

But Fish and Chips...well that's a different matter...Yum Yum....

Regards,
Gordon

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:05 pm

I'll just steer clear although a bit tricky living in a coastal town. Just for many years people used to say 'you'll grow out of it'. I never believed it and have not been near since, but have to be a bit vigilant in case they are hidden in something. I was in a restaurant recently and ordered a fish dish which had some clammy things in it not mentioned on the menu. Sent it back but they seemed a little non-plussed. I have no idea what the effects would be but do not fancy finding out! :crazy: