Cheese,cheese and more cheese

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Cheese,cheese and more cheese

Postby Wicksey » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:11 am

Living in Spain full time means that we don't have Tesco, Sainsbury, Waitrose etc that keep being discussed and compared on here. So for me the choices available from Lidl and the newly extended Aldi on Torrox Costa suit me. They have a bigger range than Mercadona and their 'specials' weeks sometimes has a promotion of French or other countries' cheeses and goods. Carrefour has a very big range but I only go there every few months, so isn't a day to day shop.

I am grateful for the range of supermarkets that we have now as I do remember what it was like when we first came here and there was one small supermarket along the coast.

I do buy veg from the pueblo shops and doorways and do only buy things that are in season and, where I can, locally sourced.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:35 am

I agree with you Wicksey, for permanent residents not really a lot of point comparing with UK supermarkets, years ago I suppose it was helpful to make comparisons, but now so much is available and we tend to use mainly local sourced goods.
We have found alternatives for just about everything, maybe paying a little more for some things, but our weekly shopping excursion is quite realistically priced.
Regards,
Gordon.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:51 am

When we first lived in Spain our nearest supermarket was family owned and it was excellent. Had the best bread, especially molletes anywhere. No prepackaged fruit or meat. The Butcher just cut off what was wanted. Unfortunately they sold out to Hipercor. What I always found in Spain was the inability to throw out fruit and food that was not fresh. The small shop nearby sold excellent fruit and veg when it arrived but seemed determined to sell every last potato from a sack even when they were green or smelly. Choose the wrong day and there was a plague of fruit flies if you disturbed a tomato :lol:

I am aware there are no Waitrose etc. in Spain. That wasn't the reason for discussing Waitrose. i linked the article to point out what he said about ice cream contents and most things are cheap for a reason and that applies in all countries. I had no intention of turning it into a peaing contest. On brands Lidl aren't so competitive with eg. Heinz ketchup being 5p more than Waitrose.

Seems as though Beni missed the point too :mrgreen:

If anyone cares to look back the point was that he said Waitrose could sell ice cream as cheap as the German discounters.....if they made it with inferior items like coconut oil instead of butter etc. that was the discussion point but never mind.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:39 am

Katy,
No I didn't miss the point , I was just agreeing with Wickey's sentiments, and I apologise if I gave the wrong impression .
The article which you highlighted was interesting and I agree and fully understand about 'cheap' products being possibly sub standard etc, however often supermarkets do have on offer many loss leaders and they hope to make their big profits on the impulse buys that are so easy to 'fall for'..

As I said in another topic ,'I believe that you get what you pay for'....in most instances, personally we shop for quality ..not quantity, but if we spot a 'bargain' we try to bring it to the attention of our friends and fellow forum members.

Regards,
Gordon who is having a 'dyslexic' day.. :?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:42 pm

katy wrote: Choose the wrong day and there was a plague of fruit flies if you disturbed a tomato :lol:
That's exactly what Dumaya was like on Torrox Costa ..... piles of rotting vegetables in a mist of fruit flies :thumbdown: The supermarkets here have changed beyond all recognition in the last 20 years.

Lidl do have quality items - I don't buy their very cheapest things, but certainly here and in France, they do have good quality goods, it's not all cheap and nasty. There is a fine line between paying for good quality food and being ripped off too.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:57 pm

Croissants were mentioned earlier - I've never been overly impressed by the croissants on sale in Spain, but there is a newish chain of so-called artisan bakeries over here called Granier (it's a franchise operation) and theirs are lovely. There are a few branches in Málaga capital and we have one here in Velez. The croissants (flaky and made with butter just as they should be) normally cost €1.50 for 3 which compares favourably with the prices at other independent bakers in town, and on Thursdays there's an offer of 4 for €1.50. They sell a really nice selection of bread too, look out for them if you have one nearby.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:52 pm

They sound good. I think most aren't made with butter. Hipercor's look wonderful, actually they aren't bad but they seem to leave a strange coating in the mouth. Probably the oil or fat they use :think: I don't know why I am going on about croissants so much, I don't eat many :lol: mainly buy them for visitors. Muesli and a toasted tea cake for me :mrgreen: