Types of cream

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
zanuck
Resident

Types of cream

Postby zanuck » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:35 pm

I wanted to make a Gary Rhodes Bread and Butter Pudding - I've used the recipe loads of times in England; one of the ingredients is double cream.

In other recipes such as Chicken in Competa Wine, which needs single cream I have previously used Nata Liquida UHT Cocinar 18% Materia Grasa - on the Eroski brik there's a picture which shows a saucepan with cream being stirred so cooking cream.

Because of the 18% in that one I figured that Nata Liquida UHT Montar 35% Materia Grasa would be double cream.

But when I opened it today it is very thick, almost solid and looks like whipped cream although almost impossible to get out of the brik through the screw-cap opening.

I've done a search in this forum and found a couple of references to double cream being available at Iceland, but I think a 180kms round trip to Fuengirola for a tub of cream to be a bit excessive :thumbdown: and (from Sid I think) a reference to 45% Matera Grasa. I don't remember seeing anything "higher" than 35% last week in Eroski at Torre del Mar.

Does anyone know of a product (not Elmlea please) that corresponds to double cream as we know it in England and that is available in the Torre del Mar/Velez Malaga area please?

Thanks - Z

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Types of cream

Postby El Cid » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:58 pm

35% cream will be OK in most recipes where you are cooking with "double" cream. In the UK the choice is usually just single or double (which is usually 45%).

I know that recipe and it will be fine with whipping cream. If you want, just cut down on the milk and use more cream, try 400 of cream and 200 of milk instead of 300 of each.

Sometimes the cream in the bricks separates and you get a first portion of really thick cream followed by milk. It's fine if you are going to use the whole carton, otherwise you need to get it all out, mix it properly and only use what you need and put the rest in another container.

Sid

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:12 pm

Sid
Thanks for the reply, maybe I should have posted my enquiry before I started making the B&BP or maybe I should have opened the 35% sooner.

I have used a carton of 18% to make the egg custard; in an hour or so I'll know if it has been successful - finger crossed :crazy:

I can try your suggestion of changing the ratios of milk to cream next time.

To make it even more exciting, I've already halved the quantities as the pud is just for two of us - normally in the UK it is for four or five.

We'll know in an hour or so if the egg custard has worked or not - fingers crossed.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:43 pm

It's the eggs that create the custard, the cream just makes it richer.

Sid

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:15 pm

It works with 18% :clap:

Extremely comparable and successful as ones that I have made in England. :clap: :clap:

None left for the Bouvier much to her disgust. :(

Gary is probably smiling down (metaphorically) on me right now. :wave:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:34 pm

It's a great recipe. Try making it with Panettone instead of bread - Lidl have loads of it as it is a Xmas speciality.

Sid

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:13 pm

Not one for this time of year (& probably not for Spain :wink: ) but hot cross bun & marmalade pudding; or bread & butter hiccup-pudding - alcoholic mincemeat instead of dried fruit & sugar between the layers of bread :D
I've never made B&BP with anything other than skimmed milk rather than cream of any kind - it still tastes delicious :thumbup:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)