Free range chicken?

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
jukim
Resident

Free range chicken?

Postby jukim » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:15 am

Can anyone here help with our dilemma – we can't seem to find anywhere selling free-range chickens. There's the corn fed ones which is good, but I don't think they're free range. Also, el coral but I don't think they are either, just reared on farms out in the bundu somewhere. Is there a somewhere to buy them from? Thanks again all. :wave:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Free range chicken?

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:40 pm

We were told by the staff in Mercadona that their corn fed ones were 'campero' ie free range.

I think Aldi have started to sell Coren chicken http://www.coren.es/pollo-de-corral which I believe are free range according to their website, and Eroski sells those too.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:10 pm

Spain was one of the countries which refused to sign a European agreement which allowed more space for chickens. Free Range means different things in supermarket speak.

Speaking of Aldi, did anyone see that their chocolate contained salmonella in the Midlands?

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:17 pm

The colour of some of those "corn fed" chickens is a joke. Looks like they've been sprayed yellow!!
Has to be dye as the local corn fed proper chickens here don't look like canaries when plucked :?
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:54 pm

Local independent butchers usually have free range chickens.. more expensive...but very tasty.!

Regards,
Gordon

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:07 pm

jukim wrote:Can anyone here help with our dilemma – we can't seem to find anywhere selling free-range chickens. :wave:
I have a couple that have had a wonderful life, but its time for them to move on. I have not got the heart to wring their necks as we are on first name terms!
Free to take, but you do the wringing elsewhere. :crazy:
Gerry

jukim
Resident

Postby jukim » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:37 pm

Thanks Gerry but I could never :( Thanks all for comments, very informative. :thumbup:

luckyjim
Resident

Postby luckyjim » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:26 pm

Why not try Halal might be free range. :wtf: