Wine from Axarquia

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Wine from Axarquia

Postby katy » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:22 pm

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Re: Wine from Axarquia

Postby IreneD » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:28 pm

I will look out for it - maybe it's sold in our village, Sedella is just a few km away. If I find it I will let you know what I think, Katy :)

ebbnflow
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebbnflow » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:11 pm

Never seen that one around, I like the Ariyanas wines from the Bentomiz Bodega in Sayalonga. They do tasting visits for groups.
Bodegas Bentomiz

Are there any outlets for the former in the Canillas/Competa areas? Not keen on Jarel.

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:32 pm

Hi ebbnflow

You can get Ariyanas wines in Competa at the small Eroski supermarket just below the plaza and at Komo Komo just to one side of the car park.

It's also available at Venta El Curro in Archez, often cheaper than at the supermarkets above, depending upon which of the Ariyanas wines you want; e.g. the Ariyanas white is about €12 at El Curro and perhaps at about €14 at the supermarkets, and their red is around the same price in El Curro.
Jose at El Curro has sold it to me without having to order one of their fabulous steaks, or indeed any food.

Don't buy it at Carrefour in Totalan above Rincon de la Victoria - v expensive.

Marginally cheaper at the bodega; where they have other varieties and half bottles available. I

n the UK, Bodegas Ariyanas told us in November last year that they had done a deal with Waitrose - although not available in our village in our smallish Waitrose.

Regards - Z

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:46 pm

I had no idea there were wines costing in the double digits - other than the excellent ones in Lidl at up to 99 cents...
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:18 pm

Maybe you should try one of these. I doubt you will find it in Lidl, but I have seen it in El Corte Ingles.

https://www.vinissimus.com/es/vinos/tin ... no=vsure15

Sid

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:48 pm

peteroldracer wrote:I had no idea there were wines costing in the double digits - other than the excellent ones in Lidl at up to 99 cents...
POR
Come down from the hills on your side of Velez Malaga and up the ones a little to the east at exit 277 to just past Sayalonga and Bodegas Bentomiz and discover what you have been missing.

It would be best to book a winery tour with tastings and almost Michelin star tapas before you set off, you can do this via their website.

Sid,
thanks for the link to Vega Sicilia, if you or others would like to make a monetary contribution, I would be willing to report back on the taste of their Unico Reserva Especial - please pm me for bank account details to deposit your funds into. I suspect that I should try two or three or even four different vintages to be able to give a fair assessment, once sufficient funds are received of course. :thumbup:

Z

PS back in the UK, we do drink some very pleasant Tempranillo La Mancha red from LIDL, but the price is a little different at £3.49 per bottle.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:50 pm

Really fancied the tapas and wine tasting tour but they no longer do the tapas. They now do 3 course lunches - and too expensive for us. The winery and tasting tour is the same price but without the tapas.

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:42 pm

IreneD
Ah yes, in November last year, Clara and Andre at the vineyard told us that they would be offering high quality lunches; if I remember correctly these were going to be on an ad hoc basis depending upon how many bookings they received.

Looking at their website a moment ago, there is now a notice telling us that wef 31 March they will no longer offer the tapas, only the lunch; no prices were talked about in November, but our impression was that the lunch wouldn't be cheap.

In November, Andre was taking tuition from a chef in Nerja, so that he could prepare quality lunches, it looks like they have become so popular that they have dropped the tapas.

It's worth saying that the tapas were not the sort of thing that you sometimes get gratis with your glass of wine or beer; but more like "amuse bouches" (spelling??) that you might have between courses at a good restaurant.

I seem to recall that when the bodega opened and started to do tours, that there was no charge for tapas, unless the group was 5 or more, but don't quote me on that, memory fades and clouds as time passes....

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:14 pm

You're right, Zanuck, it isn't cheap. Out of our price bracket, unfortunately.