Pork- Lomo Cinta Trozo

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Pork- Lomo Cinta Trozo

Postby olive » Sun May 31, 2015 11:29 am

What do other people use these slabs of relatively fat free good value pork for? Does anyone roast them in an oven for example? If so for how long and how?

I am guessing that the Spanish use thin slices to flash fry in a bit of sunflower or olive oil.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Re: Pork- Lomo Cinta Trozo

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun May 31, 2015 11:43 am

Yes I've slow roasted it in the oven, as per usual the Spanish cut the skin and outside fat off it so its self basting properties are diminished. Therefore we've always slow roasted with water and have also slow roasted with cider (both times covered until the last 20 minutes) which was very tasty indeed.

The other thing it lends itself too is char sui. Cut one of the loins length ways into three or four long pieces maybe 2 inch diameter/width. Marinate in some sort of Chinese mix, I use light soy,hoi sin,rice wine star anis and honey/syrup.

Chill it for 24 hours in the fridge until its colour has changed to deep red, then dry roast uncovered or bbq, then let it go cold, it will have the red outer and white inner when done and be very sweet........the Spanish went mad for this.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun May 31, 2015 11:50 am

They are so thin that really all you can do is fry them like a steak. They don't need much cooking, about as long as a medium beef steak. Marinading them overnight will make them taste better and tenderise them.

You could bash them out and stuff and roll them then roast them. It won't take long as they will not be much bigger than a large sausage. You could also cut them up and grill them as kebabs, again, make sure you marinate them.

Alternatively, don't buy the slices, by the large joint. You can roast that and even stuff and roll it. Cook it a little bit longer than a similar sized beef joint. It's a myth that pork must be cooked to death unless you want it to turn into "pulled" pork.

Sid

Erika
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Erika » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:38 pm

I cube it and use it for curry using either a home-made (if I feel like messing around) or a store bought curry paste (if I need to eat urgently).

Unlike beef which needs to be cooked in a curry for a long time, I treat the pork as I would chicken breast or thigh fillets so a curry can be ready quite quickly.

turner
Tourist

Postby turner » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:32 pm

I recently did one of these in my slow cooker, just added a little water and left it for eight hours. I did it as a roast with the usual trimmings. It was fantastic.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:24 pm

I use this recipe ... marinaded for 2 days ... then roast .... wonderful!

http://mykitcheninspain.blogspot.com.es ... -loin.html