The Ugliest Tomatoes in the World....!!!!

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

The Ugliest Tomatoes in the World....!!!!

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:49 pm

Yesterday our dogs were taking us for a walk near the river and the nearby allotments when all of a sudden one of the young gardeners beckoned us over, (I call him 'Lettuce Boy' because he is always presenting us with large succulent lettuces).
Anyway...with a big grin on his face he passed us a huge bag of tomatoes ,we thanked him with gusto and continued on our walk.

When we arrived home we tipped the contents of the bag onto a table and we were confronted with the Ugliest Tomatoes we have ever seen, they were so ugly I felt that I had to avert my eyes ,I was so sorry for them... :cry:
So with the skill of a surgeon my wife gently removed the skins of these unfortunate tomatoes, and we heated them slowly and sprinkled a little salt and pepper and with some fresh crusty pueblo bread ate them slowly, with reverence.
And then WOW our taste buds burst into song...
'There once was an ugly tomato with skin all blemished and brown.
And all of the other tomatoes said in so many words,
Get out of my fridge, get out, get out of my fridge.'....etc.. :D

So the moral of this story is... Beauty really is skin deep.....don't turn your 'nose up' at Ugly Tomatoes.. :wave:
Regards,
Gordon the Gourmet...
Last edited by BENIDORM on Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: The Ugliest Tomatoes in the World....!!!!

Postby Wicksey » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:27 pm

Isn't that what is so bad about the UK supermarkets insisting that all fruit and veg is uniform and perfect? I thought they were going to stop all that. There was a foodie programme on a few months ago where they asked members of the public to try these misshapen veg and much to their surprise they were edible. The presenter said that he would even be happy to feed them to his children ... honestly, what's wrong with people :crazy:

Our neighbouring farmer grew tomatoes for the first time this year and he gave us a bag of the 'rejects'. They were fantastic in flavour, like no other tomato I have tasted for years. We had a lot so we slow roasted them with garlic and basil and froze them in batches.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:13 pm

I remember when the only tomatoes in Spain were the misshapen ones. They are the best, look a bit like a pumpkin at the top. Sometimes they have some green on them but taste fantastic. Mexico has them too. They can be expensive even in Spain.

Wicksey it is not the UK it was the EU who wanted perfect sizes and shapes and it was all hype anyway.

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:26 pm

BENIDORM wrote: And all of the other tomatoes said in so many words,
Never store tomatoes, bananas, apples and oranges in the fridge unless you have an ethylene bag. They release ethylene gas... one fruit will spoil all other fruit and vegetables.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:50 am

katy wrote:I
Wicksey it is not the UK it was the EU who wanted perfect sizes and shapes and it was all hype anyway.
Have you ever seen misshapen fruit and veg in the supermarkets though? I have seen recent programmes (like Countryfile) where fruit/veg growers still have huge amounts of produce rejected that often goes to animal feed. One supermarket did a trial of selling odd shaped veg at a reduced price which seemed to work quite well. http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... vegetables

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:16 am

Not seen many in supermarkets but haven't really looked. I use local shops and they don't seem to have a problem selling odd shapes. A Farmer in Surrey used to give undersized carrots for free.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:21 am

Flexo wrote:
BENIDORM wrote: And all of the other tomatoes said in so many words,
Never store tomatoes, bananas, apples and oranges in the fridge unless you have an ethylene bag. They release ethylene gas... one fruit will spoil all other fruit and vegetables.
Always let them get to room temperature before eating, the same with cheese to get full flavour....well perhaps not Spanish room temperature right now :D

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:04 pm

they are selling "non-round" tomatoes in Lidl now .. they taste alot better.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.