German smokehouse

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
alisonb
Resident

German smokehouse

Postby alisonb » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:12 pm

Just been to Torrox Costa for lunch and the smokehouse seems to have disappeared. Has it gone altogether or just moved?
AlisonB

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Re: German smokehouse

Postby Lyric » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:08 pm

Do you mean the fish place, if so it has moved to the Paseo, down past where it used to be to the front and just to the right.

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:39 am

Yes, I knew it was on the paseo but I thought I was where it used to be, and it wasn't
AlisonB

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:04 pm

On a general note regarding this issue I was recently invited to lecture the local culinary community on, and demonstrate the techniques of smoking meat and fish in Ibiza.
I was there for a few days and was really surprised to find that in general smoked products are not part of the culinary makeup of the Spanish population, I was surprised by this and I wonder if the particular business you speak of is finding it difficult to market their products other than to German or Scandinavian customers.

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:15 pm

Last time we were there it was entirely German. But they did have a big range, including a variety of herrings. Smoked fish is one of the things I really miss here. Other than smoked salmon and a bit of smoked trout and cod, I haven't found anything. And what there is is all thinly sliced. No pieces. Since mackerel is so common here I'm surprised there is no smoked mackerel. Having said that, I bought some pieces of Scottish smoked salmon fillets in Lidl last week. Tasted lovely although the texture was a bit strange.

Manchesteral - how about doing a session for interested parties, using tools and facilities available at home. I'll put my name down now, and I know several other people who would be interested.

But back to the smokehouse - is it still there? Where I remembered it is now Craig's steak bar, but I may have been in the wrong place, geography not being my strong point
AlisonB

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:42 pm

If I have time and remember, the latter being crucial, I'll nip down in the morning and look.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:16 am

I'm sure it was there last week, at the bottom of the avenida where the Hong Kong Chinese is, behind the little tourist info/police cabin on the paseo if I'm thinking of the right place.

I buy smoked mackerel here but find smoked haddock hard to get. I agree I also miss that smoked flavour. I did get some very nice smoked salmon from Aldi before Christmas and I see that Lidl have their Scottish smoked salmon in stock in large packs. I divide it up and freeze it in batches as it's a large amount and it keeps very well (I also freeze the smoked mackerel too and it keeps for ages).