Replacing Your Old Favourite English Brands for Spanish ??

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
pthomas
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Replacing Your Old Favourite English Brands for Spanish ??

Postby pthomas » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:31 pm

Also Some Supersols in touristy areas such as Nerja do a range of U.K brands of Flour, albeit quite expensive.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:33 am

Although we now use the Lidl own brand t-bags and quite like them , I noticed this week that they have also started selling PG Tips, only in 40's but priced at 1.69 euro a carton, a realistic price me-thinks ? , I hope that they keep stocking them and add more of the Brit foods, however we now seem to have alternative local products for most of our needs...but still found nothing to compare with Marmite...yum yum.

Regards,
Gordon

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:24 am

I think it was 'English week' this week Gordon, so they may not continue it. I either get the brochures when I'm in the store or I look on line to see what is coming up. They had Asian week a couple of weeks back and I stocked up with naan breads.

It is worth looking to see what they have, apart from food, as often they only have a few delivered of any one item and they are gone in a day. I recently bought an excellent solar light for our gate from there, and also a window cleaning machine very similar to the Karcher one for 25€. I hate cleaning windows and this makes it easier.

I hadn't seen the earlier flour discussion. UK branded flour is expensive here so I always buy the ordinary plain flour and add baking powder as I need it. They also have chickpea flour here which is good for making onion bhajis and felafal. Mercadona's or Lidl's strong flour are both good for my breadmaker but integral (wholemeal) flour is not so common here (although Mercadona do sell it thankfully).

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:04 pm

Wicksey,
Yes you are correct about it being 'English Week', but hopefully they will continue to stock more of their promotional products if the demand is there, we bought some of the English cheese on offer as well, but went back the next day for some more and it had all gone...!!
Like you say, better to stock up at the beginning of the offer...

Mrs.B said that she's had the same window cleaning machine for 50 years and it still works OK, a bit slower, but works well...First compliment I've had from her for ages.!! :lol:
Regards,
Gordon

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:25 pm

We've been looking for a local supplier of reasonably priced 'loose tea' for ages...

At last, and right on our doorstep, near to Rio Frio, just off the A92 by the Malaga turn-off, at the Bazaars near the roadside bars, several of them and they seem to be 'open all hours'.
I spotted the tea awhile ago but didn't think that it would be much good, anyway a huge selection of different makes ,mainly China tea , good and cheap !

We are regular customers at these shops for dried fruit... raisins ,dates, figs etc., really first class quality and realistic prices.
If you visit any of these shops I recommend that you keep asking the prices, we never pay the listed price.
Anyway ..off for a cuppa now ... :wave:
Regards,
Gordon