Dried milk

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
ashtondav
Resident

Dried milk

Postby ashtondav » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:22 pm

I have successfully made some yoghurt, however it is a little too "runny" for my taste. In the U.K. I use dried milk in the heating process which thickens the end product. Does anyone know where you buy dried milk in Spain? I have searched Lidl and Mercadona with no luck. Thanks for any replies.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Re: Dried milk

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:27 pm

Hello Ashtondav,
We also make our own yogurt and we buy the dried milk from Mercadona , it is usually with the cartons of milk and there are 2 makes ,it is bags, not 'tubs' and usually on the top shelf.
We have never seen any dried milk in Lidl.
You could also use fresh whole milk available in Mercadona and Lidl. we prefer Mercadona, both the dried milk and fresh milk make a nice smooth consistency.
If you want a really creamy yogurt we would recommend using a Greek Yogurt as a starter and it is important to make sure that the yogurt is well in date.

Hope that this helps .. :wave:
Regards,
Gordon

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:09 am

Gordon, can I just confirm you use FRESH whole milk? My yoghurt instructions specify LONG LIFE milk.

Thanks for the tip on where to buy - I must look harder in Mercadona!

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:13 am

Ashtondav,
Yes we've tried every type of milk and the fresh whole milk turns out the best yoghurt in our opinion, you can also use the semi-skimmed whole milk if you wish,but not as nice texture.
We also use the better quality bio-yoghurt like Activia for the starter.
It took about 10 years to perfect our system, by the way..!!!

Regards,
Gordon

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:06 pm

I have got to ask, is it cost effective to make your own? Supermarket stuff is god and cheap?

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:18 pm

Olive , I don't know how religious it is but based on quality and taste it is far superior and hopefully not too many E numbers in it.... :lol: :lol:

Regards,
Gordon