Cheap Deals in Lidl.

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
HarryJ
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Cheap Deals in Lidl.

Postby HarryJ » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:28 pm

Gordon, the recipe was followed and a wonderful tasting white bean soup was enjoyed......respect to Mrs Benidorm
Cheers Harry

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:35 am

Good Morning Harry,
Thank you for your kind words and Mrs.B was pleased to hear that you have enjoyed the soup.. :thumbup:

Has anyone every tried the recipes that Lidl publish in their offers leaflets or the free recipe cards that are available ?

Also I'm sure that many members have some great recipes to share, and I'm sure most of the ingredients will be available in Lidl or Mercadona...
Please let us know your 'secret recipes' ,Mrs B. always likes experimenting with new recipes, especially with 'economy' ingredients'. :D

Regards,
Gordon ..Mrs B's kitchen assistant.. :wave:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Cheap deals in Lidl.

Postby Wicksey » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:27 pm

I see that Lidl will have their breadmaker for sale from tomorrow. Has anyone here got one?

As I have replaced most things electrical this year, it seems it is now the turn for my breadmaker to start going wrong so I was wondering whether to give theirs a go. I suppose I can always return it if I don't like it ..... I presume they have the same returns policy as the other shops (ie 15 days)

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:38 pm

Well Gordon, the so called popular press have ad nauseum had the habit of calling anyone remotely attached to the Labour Party as 'museli munchers'...
Seems that is more of a sin in their eyes than doing unspeakable things with farmyard animals.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:56 am

Wicksey,
We do use our bread-maker all of the time, ours purchased as a used once only item, for 10 euros at a carboot sale . :oops:
So many kitchen appliances can be purchased cheap at markets etc . seems like the novelty soon wears off for some people....

I don't know anyone who owns a Lidl bread-maker, but in general all of their electrical goods seem to be of good standard.
The only problem that I've encountered is buying items from Lidl that have had the boxes opened and I've got home and found 'bits' missing, soon rectified back at Lidl though...
We only make 'special' breads with the breadmaker, it's probably cheaper buying regular bread from the local baker.

Unicorn.
Interesting, and I've just 'sinned again' this morning.... :lol:

Regards,
Gordon the muesli muncher... :wave:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:27 am

Gordon I bought my current machine second hand a few years back, and it's worked really well until now. I use it about once a week to make a seeded bread and also make a sundried tomato and olive bread (plus a hotcross loaf last weekend!). It doesn't seem to be rising and cooking properly and the bread is coming out a bit flatter and denser than normal. I have now started to use it just to knead the dough but then have to transfer it to a tin for a second rising and baking which is a bit of a pain. As we like the seedy bread I think it's cheaper to make my own as the nice bread in the supermarkets is about 1.65€ a loaf and mine costs about 65 cents for a 750gr loaf.

I shall have a look at the Lidl machine and see what I think. People do open up the boxes in the shop and pull all the contents out, so I try to get one that's still sealed up.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:34 am

Just a thought, but do you use dried yeast? If so check it is well in date as I have had similar problems when the yeast is getting close to the date.

Sid

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:39 pm

I'm on my second Lidl bread,maker tho' I must confess I stopped using it some time ago as we were pigging out too much on freshly baked bread ;-).
Perfectly happy with the quality, the only thing I didn't like on the first one was that the paddles were embedded in the bottom of the loaf when it was finished, so you had to fish them out :-(
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:07 pm

Wicksey,
I'm inclined to agree with Sid regarding out of date dried yeast, even some in-date dried yeast has failed for us, so now we only use the fresh yeast from Mercadona...34 cents. a pack..no problems.

I do think that perhaps products like the dried yeast are possibly affected by the different climatic conditions in Spain.
We also make our own yogurt and find that the 'starter' yogurt works better with longer shelf life.

Can I ask what flour you use ?
And do you buy the seeds Mezcla de Semillas from Mercadona? ( 1,00 euro pkt ).
We also use Chia and Linseed in our bread, from Mercadona, around 1,00 euro for 200 gr.
Not found any in Lidl yet.....

Regards,
Gordon

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:35 pm

I'm sure Lidl have it - I remember noticing it once. I can't remember where it was, but in UK it is in the 'baking' area, with glace cherries & dessicated coconut etc, rather than with the ordinary flour. There are 'ready mixes & strong flour :-)

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:10 am

Chrissie,
Thank you for that,I really must look more carefully, trouble is Lidl are like the old Woolworth stores and keep moving stock around, a marketing ploy I'm sure.!
Also sometimes it's a bit like doing an assault course trying to get around stock piled everywhere, and harassed staff trying to re-stock shelves and serve at the check-outs..all at the same time.!
Regards,
Gordon

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:37 pm

That's just the same in UK - we usually go shopping on a Thursday morning, and it's full of lttle old ladies dithering by every shelf or abandoning their trolley mid-aisle while they delve into the freezer !

Just be thankful you aren't shopping just outside Lisbon ;-)

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:45 pm

When I went to Lidl yesterday they had already sold out of the breadmaker and I haven't had a chance to go to any of the other local branches to see if they had any left. I have just taken delivery of a new food processor so I am just 'playing' with that at the moment instead! I did manage to get a new electric toothbrush from Lidl though and we're pleased with that (17.99€). Everything is so disposable these days as rechargeable built-in batteries only ever last so long.

Gordon I do use dried yeast as my bread-maker book recommends it over the fresh variety. Lidl seems to have stopped stocking it recently after their refit, and I cannot see it anywhere in there now. I have tried Aldi's and Mercadona's with the same poor result. The Mercadona one I bought the other week and it was more expensive (relatively speaking) but didn't help.

I buy my strong flour from either Lidl or Mercadona and I get the seeds locally from a little village shop that stocks kg bags of plain sunflower seeds, plus pumpkin and poppy seeds(which I toast before using). I'm pretty sure it's a problem with the machine as if I use it just to knead and do the first rising and then take it out to put into a baking tin, it rises and cooks perfectly. Maybe the heating element or its thermostat is not working properly. I always make my tomato and olive bread that way and it always is lovely and light.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:02 am

Wicksey,
Thank you for your response :thumbup:

It also advises using dried yeast in our machine, but we've used the fresh yeast without any problems.
I was also thinking back about problems we've had with bread machines over the years and one small problem that stops the paddles functioning properly is when a small washer comes off the bottom of the paddle, it's an open ended small washer and twice I've located them under the element, replaced them and the paddle worked well again...
Toasting the poppy seeds seems like a good idea, we will try that.
I hope that you are able to find another breadmaker soon....

Regards,
Gordon

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:49 am

BENIDORM wrote: Toasting the poppy seeds seems like a good idea, we will try that.
I hope that you are able to find another breadmaker soon....

Regards,
Gordon
Watch the poppy seeds and do them on a low heat otherwise they'll pop and go everywhere. I always end up with them scattered all over my cooker when I do them :shock: I toast the sunflower and pumpkin seeds too as it brings out their flavour so much more.

I am still discovering the delights of my all-singing-all-dancing food processor so that is keeping me occupied at the mo. It does have a small kneading paddle but I don't think it would be good enough for a large loaf but I will try it out when I next make my pizza dough.

Back to Lidl .... it's Greek week this week so we went yesterday and stocked up with Retsina :thumbup:

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:00 pm

Lidl haven't had "Indian" week for ages....not even sure it was actually called Indian week, but it was about 3 yrs ago and they had boxes of 10 ready to fry poppadoms for about 90 centimos.....think the brand was Vitasia, wish they'd bring them back, Mango chutney and nan breads were also stocked very cheap also.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:48 pm

I think it is called Asian week first tango. They had one a couple of months back but it was mainly Japanese and Chinese stuff and only a few Indian curries. I have only just finished my Lidl poppudums! I agree that their nan breads are also excellent so I could do with another of those coming up too. Trouble is our house is so well stocked with food it has overflowed into the spare room as our kitchen can't cope with it all :)!