Authentic Paella

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Authentic Paella

Postby markwilding » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:41 pm

It's a regular argument I have with people here. They definitely think that English food is poor and unhealthy but I think that it's their stereotypical way of looking at our food. Many also think that everybody in the UK stops for a cup of tea at 5 o'clock.

In general food tends to be well cooked in Spain but I sometimes find it a little bland and boring. In Bilbao the bars and restaurants around the Guggenheim tend to be cheap and offer poor food except the Museum restaurant which has a good reputation but moving to the other side of town things pick up.

It's the same in central London. poorly cooked food unless you are prepared to pay a fortune but go to places around Wimbledon and it's much better. In the end personal taste comes into it as well and many friends complain when they visit the UK while I'm in my element when I go.

Personally I prefer English and international dishes with plenty of contrasting flavours along with spicy food whereas Spanish people tend to only like to taste the main ingredients. Not only that nothing beats traditional British dishes. Due to the holidays my wife's had time to cook a shepherds pie on Thursday, Fresh chicken Kiev with rice on Friday(OK, not British but not something found here)and a fresh Steak pie today. Yesterday abondigas with fresh tomato sauce and leftovers Friday. All really tasty

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:28 pm

wollie wrote:would you mind asking your talented son for the recipy for both but especially the paella?

many thanks..
I spoke with my son, whose immediate reaction was "Top Secret" ! As I said before, this was some years ago now, and we can't find the recipe for the paella, but the gazpacho was based on this recipe
http://recipe-finder.com/recipe/13018936873435048418
My son tends to adapt a recipe, depending on mood & availability of ingredients, so he probably 'free-styled' this ;-)

He is trying to recall how he did the paella - if he succeeds, I will post again, in the meantime, hopefully I have posted a photo of the 'masterpiece' (the preview seems to show 3 images - not sure why but hopefully only one will actually appear !)

Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:56 pm

Thank you very much for gazpacho recipy, i will make when over in a few weeks.

regards

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:49 pm

At what stage do you add the cabbage ?

anyroads

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:13 pm

¿Que ?
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:24 pm

We were just talking the other day while in Spain about what your preferred last meal be if you could only have one! my daughter said that's easy.."my dads paella"...he does make a good rice as he calls it..he makes both a fish version and a chicken version except i prefer the paella he makes when we are in Spain because the rice is alot thicker and the flavour is much more intense...

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:51 pm

One ingredient that is essential in making an authentic paella is to use the correct rice. Ordinary long grain rice in not correct. What you need is medium grain Spanish rice, preferably Bomba rice (of which Calaspera is a well known variety). The snag is the cost. It can be €3/kg which is many times more expensive than cheap long grain rice. its easily available in Spain, Lidl and Mercadona sell it.

The reason it is used is that it has a very high ability to absorb the liquid compared to long grain rice.

Another point worth noting is that if you just use water, it will be difficult to get a decent flavour from the ingredients as a Paella is only cooked for a short time. I use fish stock (a cube or two will do or you can buy cartons in Mercadona). For a meat Paella use chicken stock. It really makes a difference. Jamie Oliver got into big trouble with Spanish chefs by using some Chorizo, but he was on the right track as it will add a lot of flavour to a meat paella so long as you are not a purist. Smoked Spanish paprica is another good flavour enhancer (that's what is in chorizo).

If there really is an authentic paella it would be the Valencian version which is meat not fish and can contain snails and rabbit. A key ingredient is also the local white beans called Garrofon.

Ultimately the best paella is the one you like best!

Sid

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:55 pm

I never use long grain rice when making Paella ! At a pinch, Arborio rice, for risotto, is an acceptable alternative.