Vegetarian option

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
truebrit
Resident

Vegetarian option

Postby truebrit » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:40 am

Just been told about a new Vegetarian restaurant in Torre del Mar. It is called Himalaya Salon and is situated on the Paseo Maritimo between Padre Pio and Marisquria Timon.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Re: Vegetarian option

Postby IreneD » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:11 pm

It's really nice - ate there with my family recently. Highly recommended. Here's a link to Himalaya Salon page, for facebookers

https://www.facebook.com/Himalaya4salonbar/

Traveller23

Postby Traveller23 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:19 pm

Lovely food, I'm vegeterian since 2015 and I have to say I feel better without meat, anyway Himalaya Salon is one of the best restaurant we ever been to. I would recommend it to every vegeterian person.

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:38 pm

I've been 4 times in 3 weeks ,at different times, it has never been open!!!
I've been vegetarian for over 30 years & have found that living in Spain,permanently for 11 years,is a nightmare.Most Spanish cooks think they're doing you a favour adding a bit of jamon or atun to the dish.
The worst was last year where at a food truck festival in Velez Malaga I order a vegan meal & watched the cook use the utensils to turn over langostinos on the plancha right next to where my veggies,which I didn't realise were mine at first, were being cooked & then turn over my veggies with the same utensils. I pointed out this to the owner who stated that it was only a quick turn over of my food! I explained that the food should not have been on the same plancha & that some people are vegan because of food allergies,especially seafood, he just looked at me as though I was an idiot.
Luckily you had to pay when you received your food so I told him I didn't want it now & walked away.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:17 pm

I have been past a restauarant in Nerja, Calle los Huertos 54, called La Joya. I haven't tried it but I noticed it advertised that it caters for vegetarians and ceoliacs too. A friend here is vegetarian and finds it difficult to eat out. We usually opt for an Indian which gives her a greater choice of non-meat/fish options.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:31 pm

Quebin, most of my family are vegetarian or vegan, so when they visit, we go totally veggie, it's easier. My son-in-law in particular is always reluctant to eat out for the very reason you specify - you can't be sure vegetarian dishes haven't come into contact with utensils or areas for preparing meat and fish dishes. We were so pleased to discover Himalaya Salon, a restaurant with no meat or fish on the premises! Are you on facebook? They have their opening times on their page......I can check if you like?

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:17 pm

Thanks for the offer Irene. I'm on facebook & even though they have published hours that they're open when we've got there they have not been open.
I can recommend Pad Thai Wok on Paseo Larios in Torre Del Mar they seem to be always open & do quite spicy options if you ask.
I always ask for muy.muy,muy,muy,muy picante as I love chilli. The staff normally recognise me anyway & finish off the muy,muy for me!

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:34 pm

Oh dear! That's not good, if they don't stick to their opening hours. I have seen them give notice of a change on occasional days but if you haven't spotted the post, then that would mean a wasted journey. I'll remember Pad Thai Wok and tell my SIL that a fellow vegetarian who feels the same way as him trusts them not to contaminate his veggie food :thumbup:

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:09 pm

Went there last night. I am normally a confirmed meat eater but will give anything a try.
Friendly owners and staff, made to feel welcome.
Very limited menu for a full meal. Either a choice of salads or a choice of 3 "hamburgers"
Choose the spicy hamburger with salad an thick cut chips.
The thichkk cut chips were thick crisps, not what I expected.
The main negative point was that there where a table of ten in before us. Fully expected to wait for our meals in fact the owner pointed out, on the menu, where it said " all food is freshly prepared and their might be a wait"
About half the meals where served to the table of ten, then our meals came out, followed by the meals for the table of four who arrived after us.
The ones who had been served on the table of ten finished their meals and the rest, including two children, where still waiting.
Someone from their table enquired when the remaining meals would be served, A long delay and he more force-ably enquired.
Eventuality they were served long after we, and the table of four had finished our meals. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Don't think we, or the table of ten, will be going back there for another meal.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:14 pm

Best option for vegetarians is usually Indian, a decent indian restaurant will have a good number of veggy options, not too sure about vegans though, lots of vegetarian Indian dishes will contain yoghurt or cheese !