And The Best Supermarket Is.......

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

And The Best Supermarket Is.......

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:10 am

Well based on our own personal shopping and general observations, price, quality, service, cleanliness and consistency I have to say that for us the Best Supermarket is....
********* MERCADONA*******.

We use Mercadona,Lidl, Dia, and Carrefour.
Lidl is good for unusual items and variety but 'falls down ' on service, cleanliness.
Dia has improved but most of the staff seem to be sucking lemons when they are serving... :lol:
Carrefour is OK but somewhat lacking in care etc...

I know other areas have other Supermarkets and we do use them occasionally , but not often enough to comment.

So do you agree with our findings or do you think differently.?

We do also ,of course, support our local shops and find most reasonably priced and friendly.
Regards,
Gordon The Happy Shopper

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: And The Best Supermarket Is.......

Postby Wicksey » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:47 am

I would probably agree Gordon for my everyday shop, although I do use all the other from time to time. Although I like a good number of Lidl's range, and I particularly like being able to source some different food when they have their special weeks, I have had a number of instances of having their food go mouldy before the sell-by date is reached. I do wonder if they have deliveries that sit out and are not properly refrigerated. Mercadona's overall quality seems to be more consistent.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:11 am

Mucky Donna, where the Spanish shop ! limited but larger turnover so fresher.
My local is full of happy staff who all say hello, and now there are three who use me for English practice !
The German stores import more so longer time to shelf.
Supersol is expensive and just poor.
I only go in Dia for their own brand 'Calgon' equivalent, which is MUCH cheaper.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:37 am

Yes Gordon i'd agree, when i ask our Spanish family which they prefer they all say Mercadona...I do use Lidl and other supermarkets for various items but Mercadona has plenty of choice when it comes to fish and it's nice and fresh. I also like to use the local butchers both in the Uk and Spain and i always buy fruit and veg in Spain from the Fruteria..

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:30 am

Mostly use Mercadonna with a smattering of Lidll, Eroski, Supersol depending what we actually want.

I get the impression that Mercadonna's prices have gone up quite a lot in the last few months. Haven't been very scientific just notice that the bill at checkout seems to be consistently more than it was a while ago if you know what I mean. Particularly since they have got rid of the fresh meat counters and brought in a bunch of new products.
Regards

Bob

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:22 pm

For me it would be Carrefour then Hiperdino, in that order, Hiperdino will deliver your order (over €60.00) free to your door, but Carrefour have a much bigger range of goods !

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:28 pm

Aren't you in Gran Canaria? I had a feeling that Hiperdino were part of Supersol but I may be wrong. When in the Canaries I always head for the local Mercadona as I know everything that it stocks and it's quicker to find all the usual stuff I buy.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:37 pm

Waitrose.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:06 pm

I have never been in a Waitrose, probably because the nearest one is 40miles away..

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:10 pm

Interesting to note that most members prefer Mercadona, and really we can get most of our requirements using Mercadona and Lidl, much like Wicksey , but just for a change always 'pop in' to other supermarkets if passing.

casita-bonita....Not sure that we've noticed any price increases but I do wonder if branches in different areas have price differences.?
Lyric, We do seem to manage with the selection available, but I suppose that we now use more Spanish products than before, do you still buy Brit. products as well ?.
Manchesteral, I would guess that the prices in the supermarkets are more expensive on the Canary Islands, or maybe I'm wrong ?
Pamela1, Although we do use some local shops for fruit and veg lately we seem to be buying more from Mercadona, it certainly seems to stay fresher longer than other shops, I think their distribution network is excellent so probably are able to offer better quality.
Costakid, No Waitrose products available near us, but I know their quality is usually good.

It's funny really because when I was younger I didn't really care where we shopped, perhaps now that we have more time on our hands we try to make the shopping outing into a pleasant experience/outing, we always go for a coffee or maybe have a drink and a tapa and actually enjoy shopping :shock: ..Perhaps I've turned into a sad ole-git... :lol:

We were trying to decide which shop in UK Mercadona compared with....Maybe Morrison's ?...not Tesco ?

Regards,
Gordon

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:27 pm

Lyric, do you still buy Brit. products as well ?.
Very very few.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:34 pm

In Spain definitely Mercadona with a weekly visit to Lidl and in the U.K Waitrose and Sainsbury with a splash of Tesco but wherever possible also enjoy rummaging around local shops in both countries

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:27 pm

We were trying to decide which shop in UK Mercadona compared with....Maybe Morrison's ?...not Tesco ?

Liptons , Huntriss Row, Scarborough?

Seriously Mercadona, good though they are, just do not have the lines of a UK supermarket.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:07 pm

Lyric, Good to hear that you've gone native with your food choices . :lol:

Firsttango...We shop in Mercadona about 3 times a week and about every 10 days in Lidl...it used to be the other way around..

Olive..Certainly the British supermarkets carry more selection especially Snacks-Fast Foods and Sweets, but thankfully we no longer need or eat that type of product...well maybe a little... :oops:

As for Liptons, Huntriss Row, Scarborough...wow that is a blast from the past...
That was one of the first self-serve supermarkets and opened by Wilf Proudfoot,who I met many times, in fact he gave me a real boost when he ordered a massive order of Sam Smith Taddy Brown Ale, when I was a brewery rep...and mentioning brown ale has just made me fancy a bottle, wonder what the nearest beer to brown ale is here .?
Regards,
Gordon

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:32 pm

Can you still get Newkie Brown in Carrefour?

Mercadona have claimed that they keep their prices down by selling their own brands for the normal range of household stuff and prefer locally sources fresh fruit and veg, and fish, so their selection is a bit restricted but usually of sufficiently good quality that you dont notice, unless you fancy something special like HP brown sauce - readily available at Carrefour, and cheap tonic - by the trayful from Lidl. Mercadona for basics then, and shop around for your special needs.
Mercadona - clean, tidy, accessible, good staff, fresh produce
Lidl - poor staff for amiability and efficiency, scruffy, gone-off-their-meats with a couple of bad choices
Carrefour - huge range of stuff, still not everything for special Brit needs, but not bad, shame they dont have more of the french stuff we were used to in France, but their own brand coffee is very nice.
We dont have Eroski or Iceland over here.
Dia - very scruffy, dreadful fruit and veg - not fresh (shame because in France they were especially good on the fresh stuff), miserable staff, we only go for the bottled agua con gas !
Cheers

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:23 pm

Re pricing, we noticed that the Lidl on the Costa charges more for the same product than inland :-(. Having said that, as Lidl is my main shop in UK, it is handy to know that we can get many of our 'regular' items. We do use Mercadona for things Lidl don't stock (in UK it's Tesco). I have been in a Waitrose, but only because I've been using their customer parking when I go into town, so I go to the discounted fridge & find something cheap to justify my parking there ;-)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:26 am

Pamela1 wrote:I have never been in a Waitrose, probably because the nearest one is 40miles away..
Mine's 2286kms :lol:

I have been to Waitrose in the past but found that they were just like the Sainsburys down the road but more expensive.

Gasman, not sure what other UK beers the Rincon Carrefour now stocks but they have reduced the choice. We used to buy Greene King beers from there but on the last few visits they have stopped selling them :(

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:45 am

Carrefour Rincon have a massive selection of Foreign beers. They also put beers in the international food section.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:38 am

We used to only shop in Eroski and Carrefour. Mercadona and Aldi didn't come here until around 2-3 years ago.
These days we tend to shop at all of them for different reasons.

When we lived In the UK, we shopped mostly in Sainsbury's and M&S basically because they were the closest..

That isn't a factor in Spain due to the fact it's easier to go longer distances here. In London an extra mile adds substantial time to the journey.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:53 pm

olive wrote:
We were trying to decide which shop in UK Mercadona compared with....
Liptons , Huntriss Row, Scarborough?

Gracious me, is it still there? I went to Scarborough College in the 50's, Huntriss Row was very posh then, I seem to remember a Marshall and Snellgrove among others!

Has to be Mercadona for us too, although we now have a Maskom in Pizzara and their own brand stuff is very good, their prices are very reasonable and they give 3% cash Back to Pensioners :P .