Parsnips

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
Trooperman
Resident

Parsnips

Postby Trooperman » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:19 pm

My wife game back from a market/carboot with some parsnips :thumbup:

I asked if she knew where they came from: that is were they Spanish grown or imported? She hadn't asked the question!....so I don't know! But the stallholder was Spanish.

Their shelf life was only about two days before they became a bit "soggy" and "bendy", but the taste was good when cooked.

Does anyone know if it's a vegetable that's grown here in Spain?

Google translator tells me it's "chirivías"....is that correct?
nil illegitimum carborundum

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Parsnips

Postby jhonie99 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:52 pm

Soggy after a couple of days means they have been frozen.

Yes, they can be grown, but most spanish don't know what they are. Not to be confused with white carrot which is popular in Sth America.

we ordered seed from UK/channel isles and successfully grew them this year in Canarias despite very dry conditions. Incidentally, they were the last of our root veges to harvest.

Superplonk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Superplonk » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:21 pm

chirivia is correct

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:42 pm

I don't know where they grow. But |I just made lovely parsnip curry soup and parsnip and carrot pakora, yum

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:03 pm

Pretty sure they're not grown in Spain (commercially) since where we lived they were only ever available at Christmas. 9 out of 10 fruterias in our town had no idea what chirivias were, and the 10th one that actually stocked them had no idea what they were used for or how they were cooked - only that he sold lots of them to Brits around Christmas time!
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:30 am

jhonie99 wrote:Soggy after a couple of days means they have been frozen.

Yes, they can be grown, but most spanish don't know what they are. Not to be confused with white carrot which is popular in Sth America.

we ordered seed from UK/channel isles and successfully grew them this year in Canarias despite very dry conditions. Incidentally, they were the last of our root veges to harvest.
Not necessarily frozen jhonie, most root vegetables will go soggy or spongy if left alone long enough especially if left out of the fridge !!

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:09 pm

OK. Our local fruteria got some for me from his wholesaler: a box of 5Kg for €14. Covered part of my cost by selling some to ex-pat locals and I froze about half (blanche for about 2 mins) and ate the rest.
nil illegitimum carborundum